7 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Class Analysis - Sorcerer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh the Sorcerer. One of only two dedicated magic users in Massive Darkness. The Sorcerer is similar to the other magic user, the Battle Wizard in a lot of ways, but it also has some major differences. Namely it can deal decent damage by self inflicting wounds, it isn't nearly as reliant on bams and diamond, and it has some serious damage potential with it's chaining of abilities. Keep reading to find out more!

The first ability I go for 9 times out of 10 is Magic Sparks. This is a pretty self explanatory skill. Getting a guaranteed +1 sword at level 1 is always useful and pretty potent. Getting it right away also means you can get the level 2 version as soon as you level up, giving an additional sword OR bam. This can be really powerful and is the start of the chain reaction of abilities the Sorcerer has. The level 4 version of Magic Sparks just adds more swords or bams to your attacks, giving up to 3 swords, 2 bams and a sword, or 2 swords and a bam. This creates a lot of flexibility and can be used with other abilities for max damage potential. Until you get Shadow Drain or a weapon that uses bams I generally opt to use the swords to start out with.

Since you will be getting a guaranteed bam from Magic Sparks, the next ability I usually go for is Shadow Drain. In Shadow Mode, this allows you to use the bam to not only inflict 1 automatic wound, but also heal 1 point of damage from yourself. The level 4 version does the same, but you can also use a diamond to achieve the effect and it can be repeated 3 times. Used along with lvl 4 Magic Sparks means you will be doing at least 2 wounds, healing 2 points of damage, and gaining an additional sword before you even roll the dice. That's pretty great.

Now Blood Rage is where the real magic starts to happen. With this skill you can take 1 wound yourself (or an ally in line of sight can) to do 1 wound to an enemy. Combining this with Magic Sparks and Shadow Drain means you will be healing that 1 wound you are self inflicting and just leaves you damaging the enemy. Later levels of Blood Rage give you +2 and then +3 wounds all the while still only taking 1 wound yourself. I generally don't advise getting Blood Rage as your first or second skill because the wounds aren't worth taking when other skills have more damage potential without hurting yourself. It's similar to Bloodlust on the Pit Fighter.

Magic Sparks, Shadow Drain, and Blood Rage used together at level 5 will give you a guaranteed +1 sword, +5 wounds, and +1 heal (since you need to use the other heal to cancel out the damage from Blood Tribute). That's before rolling ANY dice. This is some serious damage potential and one of the highest guaranteed wound causing combos in the game. there are other skills that can do similar levels of damage, but they require you to get lucky with your rolls and get bams or diamonds. If you do roll and get some bams or diamonds and don't need to use them for your weapons, you can always choose to use them for Shadow Drain and take the +3 swords from Magic Sparks instead of the bams.

As for the skill Necro, it has a number of limiting factors that make me usually wait to get it. First off most enemies don't have enough hp to fully take advantage of it at level 1. Of the 12 possible level 1 mobs, only 5 have more than 1 hp. Necro can only be used one per activation unlike Magic Sparks, and can't be used at all vs Roaming Monsters or Agents. Lastly, getting Necro first means it will take longer to get to the ultra powerful Magic Sparks/Shadow Drain/Blood Rage combo. For these reasons I generally wait to get Necro until later on. Of course that's not to say this isn't a great skill in it's own rights.

Against high hp mobs like Orc Flayers Necro can be great. If you do 1 wound you can kill a Flayer, which is basically an additional 2-3 wounds (depending on the level). Then you can roll a red die and do wounds equal to the number of swords. With level 1 Necro this can be up to 3 more wounds, while level 3 Necro gives up to 6. Combined with the 3 wounds you did to finish off the first minion you wounded means you can do up to 9 wounds with Necro!

Lastly for the offense skills there is Fireworks. This ability works with the Sorcerer's Free Class Skill, Explosion Escape, to do additional wounds when you leave a zone containing an enemy. This gives you +2 and then +3 wounds instead of the 1 wound Explosion Escape normall does. While this ability can be great to do some extra damage when you must leave a zone with an enemy, it won't be your main source of damage or even a huge amount so for that reason I usually wait to get it second to last. Of course there is also Enhance Health which is the standard +1/2 health and +1 regen at level 4. This is pretty standard affair and the skill I get last. With Shadow Drain healing there isn't as much need for the regen, and being a magic user at range means you won't need the higher health as much.

As for the Free Class Skill Explosion Escape, I just touched on that. It's similar to Teleport, but with a bit of a twist. Instead of leaving a zone with an enemy and moving up to 2 spaces away, you only can move 1 space. However, you also do 1 wound when leaving said zone so you don't move as far, but you also do some damage when leaving. This is actually great considering you only need to be 1 zone away to use magic attacks. The Signature Alchemist is one of the few skills in the game that isn't combat based. It allows you to transmute using 2 cards instead of 3. This can really add up over time and save you a lot of cards if you are transmuting a ton.

When it comes to hero selection, Moira is a little better in terms of damage output. Her Shadow Mode skill allows you to flip a blank yellow dice, thereby turning a blank result into the best roll possibly with 2 swords and a bam. On the other hand Ajax roll a yellow dice and deal wounds equal to the number of swords rolled if he gets a bam. This will give you a maximum of 2 wounds. Ajax's Shadow Mode skill has slightly more damage potential, but his Special Skill has none. That's where Moira pulls ahead in the damage department with her Special Skill blood Magic. Once per activation she or an ally can take 1 wound and then roll a red die and do wounds equal to the number of swords rolled. This can give anywhere from 0-3 more wounds. with Shadow Drain you can heal the 1 wound you caused yourself.

Ajax's Special Skill Dark Magic has no damage potential, but is still very powerful. With it he can bring a dead hero back to life up to twice per game. That's basically double the number of times you can normally resurrect someone and it can literally save you from losing a game. Of course if you only need to resurrect twice the skill is totally wasted since you would use the Lifebringer. It can only be used twice per game too, so while powerful it won't see a ton of use.

When it comes to weapons the Sorcerer is a lot different than the Battle Wizard since they don't have Sword and Spell and therefore won't be using any melee weapons. Instead they will stick with magic weapons to make full use of their skills. Most of the healing weapons are kind of pointless since you will be using bams to do wounds AND heal yourself. You also might be limited on bams and diamonds since you will need to use at least 1 along with Magic Sparks to get all 3 Shadow Drain uses. For that reason the Orb of Courage is good for giving static swords. However, it doesn't give a ton of dice to roll so you are generally better off dual wielding something like the Scepter of Hate along with the Scepter or Warrior-Mage's Scepter to allow you to attack in melee range with magic attacks. The Scepter of Hate will pair well with Shadow Drain if you by chance get any extra bams or diamonds, doing +1 or +3 wounds from bams/diamonds respectively. In fact using the diamond with the Scepter of Hate is generally advised since it will give 2 more wounds over Shadow Drain at the cost of +1 heal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marlin goble
msg tools
I always look forward to reading these and really appreciate the time and effort. Well thought out and well written. Thank you!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words, I am glad you enjoy them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Moore
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would also like to add 2 things. 1. you did not specify that it was blood rage skill, but I deduced that is what you meant as you state the skill name later in the paragraph. 2. with [blood tribute 1] it states: "to activate this Skill, the hero or ally in line of sight must voluntarily take X wounds" thought it pertinent to add that an ally may take the wound.

Thanks for the information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I edited it to be more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Dowbyhuz
Canada
flag msg tools
I am playing Moira Sorcerer class. If I use her Blood Magic skill, does it trigger Necro?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Simard
msg tools
Considering the necro skills, I see a great use but sometimes wonder if it is legit.

When you apply a wound to the last minion of a mob, you use necro, and then apply the resulting wounds (of the dice rolls) to the boss, as it seems it is a different instance of damage than the attack (necro isn't necesseraily part of an attack, we used it with the mage's charm and I don't see any problem with it). Meaning you can kill minions and boss with only one attack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.