Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Because every time they come up with a technological advancement, it leads to MORE jobs at a HIGHER wage for all. See, Mac, it's all good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice educational video.

You have a slight error in your title tho don't you?

Per the video, An American worker won't be replaced by automation.

He'll occasionally symbolically pull a single lever and produce everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was kind of fascinating to watch. It does a pretty good job of illustrating basic elements of where we were at mid-century. I though, "this might be good to show to the students" and then they introduce the Coolie... ugh. The information itself was sound, but dangit latent racism! I could show it and let it being a learning moment, but I know some of my students simply wouldn't be able to get past the imagery and that the overall message would ultimately be "bad" because the packaging was bad.

What I also found interesting was how subversive it was. It undercuts American exceptionalism, and then increasingly cuts deeper into the paradox of consumerism with each product it highlights. I feel like I was getting a bit of the Steven Colberts and John Olivers of 1949.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
That was kind of fascinating to watch. It does a pretty good job of illustrating basic elements of where we were at mid-century. I though, "this might be good to show to the students" and then they introduce the Coolie... ugh. The information itself was sound, but dangit latent racism! I could show it and let it being a learning moment, but I know some of my students simply wouldn't be able to get past the imagery and that the overall message would ultimately be "bad" because the packaging was bad.

What I also found interesting was how subversive it was. It undercuts American exceptionalism, and then increasingly cuts deeper into the paradox of consumerism with each product it highlights. I feel like I was getting a bit of the Steven Colberts and John Olivers of 1949.

Thanks. I'm going to use it in my social studies replacement class, they might not even get the racist imagery. I wanted to stress the propaganda elements.

What are the demographics of your students?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
echoota wrote:

Thanks. I'm going to use it in my social studies replacement class, they might not even get the racist imagery. I wanted to stress the propaganda elements.

What are the demographics of your students?

I work in a therapeutic school for at-risk high school students. The traditional special education approaches don't work with these students and so local schools send them to us to give wrap around support. This is rural Vermont so for the most part the school handles poor white kids that have had rough family situations. There is also the spectrum students that need extra support, and then students that likely have an emerging mental health issue.

I may end up using this at some point, as I have to invent all of my material since you're trying to teach high school content, aimed at a middle school level of proficiency, but with a huge amount of scaffolding that is elementary school level. We work with the "victims" side of the population so they can be very sensitive to anything that takes a swipe at a group of people so the coolie part might just be too much for some of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Needs MST3K treatment. Unfortunately, they haven't done that one so here's this one instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Nope. Nope nope nope nope.
mb
Isn't this mainly anti-union propaganda?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.