Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-house-bans-personal-cell-...

(Here's the slashdot summary)
Quote:
White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders released the following statement on the policy change: "The security and integrity of the technology systems at the White House is a top priority for the Trump administration and therefore starting next week the use of all personal devices for both guests and staff will no longer be allowed in the West Wing. Staff will be able to conduct business on their government-issued devices and continue working hard on behalf of the American people."

Wolff reportedly gained access to the White House where he conducted numerous interviews with staffers on the inner-workings of the Trump campaign and West Wing operations. Sanders told reporters Wednesday that there were about "a dozen" interactions between Wolff and White House officials, which she said took place at Bannon's request. The White House swiftly slammed the book and those who cooperated with Wolff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I get the feeling that the resident of the White House is having a "Star Wars" moment???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has the fingerprints of Kelly all over it.

An attempt to crack down on leaks, but the hard reality, this is the most porous presidency in a long time, because it's the most incompetent presidency in a long time.

I heard today on the radio, that some in the WH admin feel they are looked upon negatively for leaking, but they look upon themselves as patriots, attempting to prevent a child, from starting some disaster, that would be very harmful to the U.S. It speaks droves, that people would risk legal punishment, to do this. Clearly, they lack confidence in the man-child holding the office, but that lack of confidence is only being stirred, by Trump himself. He's too slow to recognize this.

Minor details may be wrong, or sources may have been misquoted, but the general TONE of the book slamming Trump is correct. This has been, and always will be, a White House in chaos, becuase the chaos comes from the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Banning personal devices is tantamount to saying they don't trust their own staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
Does this include Donalds tv remote?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Trumps bedroom at the White House

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see no issue with this from an IT security standpoint. They can still use government issued devices. Plenty of government facilities have similar policies and some don't even allow government issued devices. The IT security surrounding high level VIP's as been atrocious and needs to be reigned in.

Some kid went to jail for taking pictures of a submarine engine room. There isn't anything he took a picture of you can't see in a book or in a museum. And I was stationed on the sub in question and I have seen a nearly identical mock up of a sub in the Smithsonian. keeping people from taking pictures/recordings in the West Wing seems perfectly reasonable to me, it should be at least as secure as a submarine.

Now I know you all will scream about the politics of it all, but sorry from security standpoint this makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the policy will have unforeseen consequences and bite them in the ass in some unexpectedly amusing way.

Let's see drop device, can't get a new one for 2 to 3 days, no one can reach you in a crisis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
I think the policy will have unforeseen consequences and bite them in the ass in some unexpectedly amusing way.

Let's see drop device, can't get a new one for 2 to 3 days, no one can reach you in a crisis.

How is this different than if someone dropped their device anywhere else? I assure you, if a VIP loses their device they get one post-haste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

Trumps bedroom at the White House

can't be wheres the coin slot for the vibrating bed and rubber sheets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

How is this different than if someone dropped their device anywhere else? I assure you, if a VIP loses their device they get one post-haste.

Of course not everyone who works in the White House is a VIP. They have assistants and secretaries and junior staffers and all sorts of other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

You're right. There will be absolutely no complications or unforeseen consequences from the policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

You're right. There will be absolutely no complications or unforeseen consequences from the policy.

When you go to the NSA or certain areas of the Pentagon you are allowed no phone. Now maybe some VIPs are exempt, I dunno, I am not a VIP. But somehow the world has managed to function just fine with these rules in place.

This rule, just means you can't bring your PERSONAL device into certain areas of the White House. Now I don't know about high up muckety mucks who visit the White House but the government agency I work for doesn't allow any official stuff on my personal device. So assuming the same, this shouldn't matter. They will have their government issued devices with all the required security protocols on them.

So now, if someone takes pictures or does something they shouldn't do, it will have to be with their official government phone that can be tracked. Yes, I am sure it is so they can't leak on Trump. But stuff that happens in the West Wing shouldn't be leaked anyway. Stuff that happens in any high ranking government spot shouldn't be leaked.

As someone who had to give up my phone when I went into many government installations I see no issue with this. rankly, it pisses me off upper echelon people in Washington seem to be exempted from so many rules when I am told every day at my job how all people should be treated the same despite their payscale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
I see no issue with this from an IT security standpoint. They can still use government issued devices. Plenty of government facilities have similar policies and some don't even allow government issued devices. The IT security surrounding high level VIP's as been atrocious and needs to be reigned in.

Some kid went to jail for taking pictures of a submarine engine room. There isn't anything he took a picture of you can't see in a book or in a museum. And I was stationed on the sub in question and I have seen a nearly identical mock up of a sub in the Smithsonian. keeping people from taking pictures/recordings in the West Wing seems perfectly reasonable to me, it should be at least as secure as a submarine.

Now I know you all will scream about the politics of it all, but sorry from security standpoint this makes sense.

Why didn't it make sense for every other White House administration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

When you go to the NSA or certain areas of the Pentagon you are allowed no phone. Now maybe some VIPs are exempt, I dunno, I am not a VIP. But somehow the world has managed to function just fine with these rules in place.

This rule, just means you can't bring your PERSONAL device into certain areas of the White House. Now I don't know about high up muckety mucks who visit the White House but the government agency I work for doesn't allow any official stuff on my personal device. So assuming the same, this shouldn't matter. They will have their government issued devices with all the required security protocols on them.

So now, if someone takes pictures or does something they shouldn't do, it will have to be with their official government phone that can be tracked. Yes, I am sure it is so they can't leak on Trump. But stuff that happens in the West Wing shouldn't be leaked anyway. Stuff that happens in any high ranking government spot shouldn't be leaked.

As someone who had to give up my phone when I went into many government installations I see no issue with this. rankly, it pisses me off upper echelon people in Washington seem to be exempted from so many rules when I am told every day at my job how all people should be treated the same despite their payscale.

The West Wing is a lot different than the NSA or Pentagon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

There are prohibitions on bringing ANY electronic device (personal or enterprise) into certain offices in embassies, and in certain places at State, too. But generally, if these are places in the White House where employees can carry their government-issued cell phone, it would be OK (from a 'don't get spied on by bad guys' perspective) to bring a personal phone, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be time to remind them about this then: https://www.propublica.org/article/any-half-decent-hacker-co...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:

I have to agree. There's a natural tendency to assume that anything the Trump team does is either stupid or motivated by cover-up, but on the face of it this seems like a policy that could have been enacted by almost any administration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

I have to agree. There's a natural tendency to assume that anything the Trump team does is either stupid or motivated by cover-up, but on the face of it this seems like a policy that could have been enacted by almost any administration.

Again, typically in any place where enterprise electronic devices (govt-issued cellphones and laptops) are allowed, so are personal devices for the employees (not necessarily for visitors). That has been most areas of the White House, until now. (Yes, I'm sure the WH has SCIFs where NO cellphones etc are allowed; that's irrelevant.)

Again, this shows distrust of the people who work there. Which really is kind of sad. It's the sort of move a stable genius makes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:

Why didn't it make sense for every other White House administration?

Probably due to a big push in an increase in cyber security. We just finished a huge report on security vulnerabilities at my agency and we have a bunch of stuff to change. I guess that is trump too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your point that it's probably a good policy and there are good reasons to have in the areas of the white house where any secret information may be discussed.

And those reasons are not why the trump administrations banned private devices right after a major tell all book.

The new policy won't stop leaks- merely delay them until the person leaves the building or perhaps even just goes to the parking lot.

Only a select group will receive premium service for lost, stolen, (broken), forgotten at home devices. The rest will go without a device for up to a few days and sometimes over a weekend. In most cases that won't be a problem and over time policies will be developed that mitigate most of the unforeseen consequences tho they will be "bitten" at least once by each new situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
I agree with your point that it's probably a good policy and there are good reasons to have in the areas of the white house where any secret information may be discussed.

And those reasons are not why the trump administrations banned private devices right after a major tell all book.

The new policy won't stop leaks- merely delay them until the person leaves the building or perhaps even just goes to the parking lot.

Only a select group will receive premium service for lost, stolen, forgotten at home devices. The rest will go without a device for up to a few days and sometimes over a weekend. In most cases that won't be a problem and over time policies will be developed that mitigate most of the unforeseen consequences tho they will be "bitten" at least once by each new situation.

The trick is that it won't stop leaks, but provides deniability. Recordings are poison to obsessive liars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris is correct in general. Not allowing personal devices in controlled installations is nothing new, nor should it be.

That being said, it's extremely hard to believe this about some security push given not only the history of allowing personal devices in the WH but also the ongoing issues with Trump's ineptitude and corruption continually coming to light often from people within the WH.

Why didn't prior administrations do this? Clearly the WH is not the same as a controlled military or intelligence installation. What goes on there is different. I'm sure for certain meetings in certain rooms the personal devices are not allowed already.

Honestly, the move looks silly and just another attempt to pretend they are about law and order and trying to protect national security. They've done nothing to make us actually feel safer but this like most of their moves is about appearance.

My only question is will this rule apply to Russian diplomats? There's a question I'd love to stare into The Donald's eye and ask. Watch that eye dart away while he says "of course it would".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:

The facilities you're discussing are generally very high security that handle significant quantities of classified material. That's simply not the case for a huge portion of the White House. If you're a domestic policy advisor that isn't involved in law enforcement in some way, odds are exceptionally high that you neither handle such information nor are exposed to it during the normal course of business.

I can see restrictions on things like personal devices handling government data like e-mail or accessing cloud services for business purposes. I can see restricting the use of such devices in particular areas of the building. But a blanket ban? This isn't about sensitive materials, this is about the leaks about the inner workings of the White House. This is about staffers regularly giving their take on the President's behavior to the press. This is about the President consistently looking bad because he likes to shout and scream and throw tantrums and he doesn't like reading about that in the press.

If we were discussing a secure facility or classified materials, I'm right there with you. This isn't that. The government already has rules for that and the portions of the White House that need to handle such materials are required to comply with appropriate rules and regulations. This is the White House trying to make it hard for people to leak the salacious stories that people love reading.

BTW - this also isn't about inequitable treatment under the law, either. The Obama administration was pretty insane when it came to leaks. The Trump administration looks to be dialing that up to 11 because the President can't stand to read anything negative about himself without throwing a tantrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have no doubt this is Trump pushing to stop leaks and not about security. But as someone in IT working for the government which is horrible about security, I will take what I can get from where I can get it.

I have had t deal with worse in less important areas then the West Wing at the agency I work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.