Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, I just received the game and have not played it yet. After reading complaints about the replacement of coins and workers with a slider track, I'm thinking about using the coins and workers from Terra Mystica for GP. Does anyone have experience with this? Does GP require more coins or workers than TM that I might have the issue of running out of them during game play?
Also, any other substitutions that would improve or make this game run more smoothly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Workers can be used for ore without confusion.
Coins can be used for credits with little to no confusion.
There is nothing from Terra Mystica you can use for knowledge though (blue hexagons).
TM uses priests, which are of no use in GP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Keep in mind that GP has resource limits, so you would need to track those too.

The 15 knowledge limit in particular can easily come into play with the top of the knowledge research track. And you absolutely want to keep Knowledge capped at 15. The other two are probably less important balance wise to cap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd try it with the slider markers first. I don't really understand the criticism. But if you insist on changing resource tracking, there are more than enough components in TM to substitute for ore and credits. Nothing for knowledge though. As pointed out, ensure you stay within resource limits - 15 ore, 15 knowledge, 30 credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks,

Good point and reminder of the resource limit. So far, just planning to replace coins/credits and workers/ores.
I'll keep knowledge on the slider.

I think the criticism with the slider is if it gets bump, it's difficult to recap what the value was before. Also, with back tracking or reversing actions. Some also likes to set aside tokens for each upcoming action and/or plan for future actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
iamdannywu wrote:
I think the criticism with the slider is if it gets bump, it's difficult to recap what the value was before. Also, with back tracking or reversing actions. Some also likes to set aside tokens for each upcoming action and/or plan for future actions.

I can certainly see the bump thing as a possible issue (although it hasn't been a problem yet in my 6 games). And for us, reversing actions has been no more difficult with the sliders than it was with actual tokens.

The planning part is the one issue that I've seen in our games so far. But so far I'm not considering replacing the slider mechanism. Instead I'm considering making tokens available for players who want to use them for planning. The "official record" would still be the sliders, but players could use the tokens if desired to help them plan.

One advantage of the sliders that I have found is that it's much quicker for me to see how many resources each player has, and I don't risk overlooking a resource (perhaps because it is in a player's hand as they are moving it around for planning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found the slider was indeed very easy to jog, especially when you're moving each of 4 tokens up and down it frequently while trying not to bump the other 3. I'm not confident I didn't gain or lose an extra knowledge accidentally in our game on Monday.

Using physical tokens sounds like a good plan (as long as you do indeed keep the knowledge capped at 15). And because of the reduction in traffic on the slider, that ought to help alleviate jogging issues with knowledge too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.