Hide
5 Posts

Viral» Forums » Rules

Subject: Getting a 4th mutation card while collecting end time points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Grady
msg tools
So at the end of the game we had someone who was one space away from their 4th mutation card. The game ended and we began counting up end of game points. His other mutation cards and the viruses he had in a couple of zones pushed him through that space.

Since "the gameplay" was already over we had some disagreement about whether he was allowed to pick up that card and get 3 more victory points at the end. Luckily he didn't win or it would have been a more vehement discussion.

So, can you still get a card at that point? Or no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes.

but even with that i think he will probably lose the game anyway.
At least give him a consolation on that.

in our experience, the end game triggers when all of us where near at 40VP space already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that when a player lands on or passes a VP space that allows for a card to be selected or drawn they do so. It doesn't say anything about 'when' that can or can't happen, or at least I haven't seen it being addressed in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fitzmaurice
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltgrady wrote:
So at the end of the game we had someone who was one space away from their 4th mutation card. The game ended and we began counting up end of game points. His other mutation cards and the viruses he had in a couple of zones pushed him through that space.
So, can you still get a card at that point? Or no?

No. You arent moving on the track during end scoring, the game is over. Also you arent earning VPs as per in game scoring, you are merely totalling. Further, End Game scoring specifies points on the VP track plus extras, explicitly defining those extra points as not being on the track.

Althese semantics and mechanical differences separate your final totalling of score from the during game earning of VPs and moving on the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought, no VP's awarded while scoring (counting VPs).

To me it wouldn't make sense to still be able to score points when the active game state is completed and end of game scoring happens.

It's not like Lords of Waterdeep where you collect points based off of your Lord, in other words, passing a select a card spot on the score track while counting VPs in Viral is NOT hidden points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.