Star Wars: Destiny» Forums » General

Subject: New to Game-What should I Get First? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Shipp
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi all,
I'm looking to get into what seems a wonderful game. As an initial budget I have about $150 AUD max. ($90USD) to spend. My options are;

1)2 2Player Starter sets + 1 Rey and 1 Kylo original starters.

2) 1 2 Player Set + 1 Rey & 1 Kylo starter, 1 Boba Fett and 1 Luke Starter

3) Any other combo?

Any advice about how I should start?

Cheers Ray from Oz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Start withe two 2-Player-Starter Sets. This way you get 2 good Decks to play. The Boba and/or Luke Starters are also good.

I think the above are clearly better the the Old Kylo/Rey Starter.

But I would recommend start with two 2 Player Starter and some Boosters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note that The Luke and Bobba Fet starters have 2 dice for the main characters !

You can play elite versions of Luke and Bobba at from start.

I'd go for 2x 2 player sets and the luke and Bobba starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lindgaard wrote:
Note that The Luke and Bobba Fet starters have 2 dice for the main characters !

You can play elite versions of Luke and Bobba at from start.

I'd go for 2x 2 player sets and the luke and Bobba starters.

Yes but its also important that all other cards, either with or without Die, or only one time in the Starter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Beware of the rotation of cards is all I’d say. If you’re just playing friendly games with friends it won’t matter so much, but for local tournaments and such it will become an issue.

I started a few months ago and a friend and I bought one copy of the 2 player starter set each, splitting the hero and villain stuff. Then we just bought boosters and eventually four of us divided up a booster box (9 boosters each) and kept buying individual boosters.

With the new set, Legacies, just being released and adding a few new (excellent) ideas to the game, I’d say you’ve picked a good place to start.

Buy two copies of the 2 player starter set (the one with Rey on) and split the hero and villain stuff between yourself and a friend. You can both keep the neutral stuff you get. Then buy a Luke and Boba starter each. Then go from there! It’s not worth buying the Kylo/Rey starters now in my opinion as they’ve basically been replaced with newer cards. So stick to the newer stuff (Awakenings was the first set but will be cycled out soon, Spirit of Rebellion seems worth it still, but Empire at War and Legacies are the newest two), and enjoy!

Welcome to Destiny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to add that "soon" will be the Beginning of 2019, so all cards are Torurnament legal for at least a year from now.

I wouldnt buy Booster Boxes for Awakenings or Spirits anymore now (but for a super offer of course yes), but when you want to go competitive i would look at the Cards and buy some singles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Singles can definitely work well for filling out your dice (if you need more characters, abilities, upgrades, etc). Prices have fallen a lot as FFG has pumped out supply (the drop in the singles market is a big reason why I finally took the plunge).

If you have a local or regional (online) source for singles, you can get some excellent prices on singles now. For example, in the U.S., CoolStuffInc has a decent selection of rares (about ~20 or so) below $0.39 ... with some, like Hux, selling for $0.21 and a lot at or below $1.00.

Of course, I play casually, so I am more concerned with options (especially on the cheap) and characters than constructing some meta-busting, world-beating deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
Beware of the rotation of cards is all I’d say. If you’re just playing friendly games with friends it won’t matter so much, but for local tournaments and such it will become an issue.

So stick to the newer stuff (Awakenings was the first set but will be cycled out soon, Spirit of Rebellion seems worth it still, but Empire at War and Legacies are the newest two), and enjoy!

Welcome to Destiny!

According to this article:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/8/swd-wha...

Awakenings, spirit of Rebellion and Empire at war will be rotated out of the standard format at the same time, after The Legacies cycle and the next cycle is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
Buy two copies of the 2 player starter set (the one with Rey on) and split the hero and villain stuff between yourself and a friend. You can both keep the neutral stuff you get. Then buy a Luke and Boba starter each. Then go from there!

Are the Luke / Boba Fett starters legal for tournaments yet? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/legality/ seems to say not...

I have my first tournament this weekend... I fully expect to take a pasting based on Rey / Kylo starters plus a few boosters, but it's all experience and meeting other players. I didn't think I could use my Luke / Boba starters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
Are the Luke / Boba Fett starters legal for tournaments yet? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/legality/ seems to say not...

I have my first tournament this weekend... I fully expect to take a pasting based on Rey / Kylo starters plus a few boosters, but it's all experience and meeting other players. I didn't think I could use my Luke / Boba starters.
You should check with whoever is running the tournament. Although they're not legal for official FFG tournaments yet due to a delayed release in North America, you may find that local stores/organisers are allowing Legacies and Luke/Boba starters since they're available in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
You should check with whoever is running the tournament. Although they're not legal for official FFG tournaments yet due to a delayed release in North America, you may find that local stores/organisers are allowing Legacies and Luke/Boba starters since they're available in the UK.

Yep, I've been told they're in. Time to have a closer look at those new cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your goal is to play casually with a friend, start with two starters: either the Rey/Poe vs. Kylo/Phasma set, or a Luke and a Boba (whichever flavor appeals more). Once you've tried those intro decks, either buy a second set of the same decks to fill out your missing dice, or start buying packs and then singles to build up your collection.

If you'll be playing in tournaments, buy a box then buy/trade for singles. Legacies is releasing now (Jan 2018) so the meta will be adjusting to the new pool and prices will be in flux if you want to go for a box of that. Or see what set appeals to you.

Keep in mind that Destiny is a very hard game to build workable decks with just with boosters (unless you buy A LOT of boosters). With three colors and the Hero/Villain designation and such a small number of cards per pack, it's very card to get enough stuff for a thirty card deck (a third of which or so include dice) that work with the characters you've got. Be ready to wade into the secondary market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
DavidSL wrote:
Buy two copies of the 2 player starter set (the one with Rey on) and split the hero and villain stuff between yourself and a friend. You can both keep the neutral stuff you get. Then buy a Luke and Boba starter each. Then go from there!

Excellent! Where are you playing? I’m also attending my local tourney tomorrow! I can see from your response that these are included, I think most local tournaments will be including these now due to their availability here in the UK.

Good luck with the tournament, and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
Excellent! Where are you playing? I’m also attending my local tourney tomorrow! I can see from your response that these are included, I think most local tournaments will be including these now due to their availability here in the UK.

Wayland Games, Hockley - you?

Quote:
Good luck with the tournament, and have fun!

And to you. I've been deck-building this morning, two possibilities with Luke/Finn and Kylo + two troopers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ha, that’s exactly where I’m going! I did wonder!

I’ll be sure to introduce myself, but I’m David and will be running Sabine/Poe tomorrow! Hopefully we’ll get a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
Ha, that’s exactly where I’m going! I did wonder!

I’ll be sure to introduce myself, but I’m David and will be running Sabine/Poe tomorrow! Hopefully we’ll get a game!

Cool, hope to see you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Shipp
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the advice. I went for 2 2 player sets, Luke and Boba sets.

I'll be off and running next week when it arrives.

Cheers Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That’s great, Ray! Welcome to the game! Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.