9 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » General

Subject: Table Compactification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as we know, Leaving Earth can take a lot of table space. The expansions take even more table space as well. Of course, not everyone has the large tables needed to accommodate this!

As I'm a bit limited in how much room I can dedicate to this game, I'm wondering what people do to keep the foot print of the game to a minimum while playing it. Anyone have any tips or products they use to achieve this?

I definitely appreciate your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Tennison
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use clear plastic business card stands to hold all the component cards. I also use a printed playmat (from the files section on bgg) for solo play which cuts down on setup and table space. I'm considering using a printed money tracker too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
If your case is extreme, you might consider Tabletop Simulator on Steam. See https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1670067/tabletop-simulator-...

Once you know the game well enough you can look at the missions and leave some of the components in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
East is east, and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrowstar wrote:
So as we know, Leaving Earth can take a lot of table space. The expansions take even more table space as well. Of course, not everyone has the large tables needed to accommodate this!

As I'm a bit limited in how much room I can dedicate to this game, I'm wondering what people do to keep the foot print of the game to a minimum while playing it. Anyone have any tips or products they use to achieve this?

I definitely appreciate your thoughts!

I had a thread last year on my tabletop setup (it's under Outer Planets so you may not have found it):

Another storage solution for Leaving Earth and Outer Planets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ross Spurgeon
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Packing cardboard, look for the 1 inch version that has an interior honey combe design. Cut with exacto blade, rectangles 1/3 larger than needed on the long side. Cards will sit in the holes with nearly all the card information showing (sit upright).

IKEA bookshelf/furniture packaging (specifically)(here in the USA).

Each Player gets all advancements in a single pile, kept at players side.

Tabletop clips (mine are plastic) for rocket stacks, goal cards.

Our set up still takes up 1/2 a ping-pong table (LE + OP + S).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I play Leaving Earth base game on my 51cm x 90cm table in my study and although it's a bit of a squeeze, it works:

I keep most of the unused compenents and advancement cards not being used in the box or on a tray off the table - I normally know most of the components needed before a game so make sure they are closest to hand.

When I break open Outer Planets and Stations I'm going to use my low collapsible table in conjuction with the study table so it will give me twice the space - hopefully can put all the components etc on the low table and the main space map (somehow) on the study table. Hopefully it will work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The craft store, Michaels, has a cheap plastic pencil case. The base has two dividers arranged along the long axis, creating three compartments for coloured pencils. Tear off the lid, and the base can be used as a stand for all the little component cards. They will lean at a perfect angle to see them, have enough space between the rows to grab them, and can be passed across the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

Thanks for your responses. I've definitely read through them and I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. I ended up going with an Artbin organizer for use with the component cards, as well as two little trays for holding all of the delightful wooden bits that come with the game.

I took an image to show what I've done.

Those two things alone really helped square away the table and make plenty of room. All I need now is a way to "compactify" the achievement cards. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I suppose I could just leave them in the box until I need them or overlap them some on top of each other.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you're going through the same thing I did.

I managed to ... compactify my copy on a single piece of A1 grey-board. It also benefits from making it pretty speedy to set up, too.

I've also modded the box insert to make it even quicker to set up. It takes about five minutes from box to board.

I'm looking forward to having a game soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.