Hide
9 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: I think I broke the game (3 arrows class spoilers - OP combo) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Since Ill be comenting on the 3 arrows class skills and strats Ill spoiler tag the whole thing.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I just discovered the most OP combo Ive ever seen. You need a Lv 6 Quartermaster with the Catastrophic Bomb card and you need to have purchased the 3 "rolling +0 refresh item" perks. Basically you buy a greater pot of power, an eagle eye goggles, walk in a room use catastrophic bomb and empower it with the pot + the goggles and just laught at the hillarity of it all. You basically hit the entire room for 3 damage (wich usualy end up being 4-5 with the mods, but can be much better when you get your rolling +1s to pop and your crit). With the ammount of mods you end up drawing you always hit the 3 refresh items, wich means you refresh your goggles and your power pot. After it you use a stamina pot, recover your catastrophic bomb and repeat the process next turn, this time you also refresh your sta pot tough. In the event you are fighting heavilly shilded mobs bring a piercing bow, and you guessed it, refresh the thing when your refresh item mod pops up. Ive even managed to go trough my entire mod deck twice over on one particularly packed room, it is hillarious how effective this is. It doesn't work too well with low enemy count tough, so in 2 player games or big rooms with just a handfull of powerfull enemies its not ideal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the forum Search functionality to search for this class name and the word "combo". You will find many, many threads about this and similar ideas for infinite half turns, infinite turns, multiple guaranteed insta-kills, etc. using this class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
searches for this game can be less than effective given that no one uses the actual names of the unlockable classes, as evidently knowing the names of classes ruins the fun of the game for some people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
andrewgr wrote:
Use the forum Search functionality to search for this class name and the word "combo". You will find many, many threads about this and similar ideas for infinite half turns, infinite turns, multiple guaranteed insta-kills, etc. using this class.

Ye this class can be quite broken, reinforced steel is another absurd card, it doesn't work on consumed itens but the fact that you can refresh an armor or a shield every turn makes you almost immortal. Than you throw in the belt you get on the solo scenario and you can do some crazy crap like using two health pots in a row if needed, or recover six cards using 2 greater sta pots in one turn, or whatever, it gives you endless flexibility. And the rolling refresh item perk is the craziest thing ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike H
United States
flag msg tools
I was under the impression that you could only refresh spent items and not consumed items like potions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Ygglephysics wrote:
I was under the impression that you could only refresh spent items and not consumed items like potions.

Its on the faq that you can refresh both, if it was only spent itens itd keep things in check, but since its both its quite crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike H
United States
flag msg tools
Can you link it? I'm having a hard time finding where it is referenced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakonBlackblade wrote:
you need to have purchased the 3 "rolling +0 refresh item" perks.
Unless second edition made a massive change, those are not rolling cards. They are terminals. This is very important.

This also means that the Eagle Eye Goggles don't help you very much. Any positive-damage modifier is ambiguous vs a +0 Refresh card, so you just get the top drawn card. Even if you manage to get off the entire Catastrophic Bomb, you are unlikely to hit all 3 Refresh cards. You won't even consistently pull of 2 of them and you're not guaranteed to even hit 1.

Ygglephysics wrote:
Can you link it? I'm having a hard time finding where it is referenced.
In the Official FAQ under this class's "General" spoiler:

aflorin wrote:
Attack Modifier Cards - Refresh Item (Cards 144, 145, 146):
Using this card allows you to refresh one consumed or one spent item you have equipped.

Though you can get the same information from the rulebook:

Rulebook, pg 27 wrote:
Refresh abilities allow players to regain the use of spent or consumed item cards.

In the case of both recover and refresh, the type of card gained (discarded or lost for ability cards, spent or consumed for item cards) is specified in the ability.
Since the perk cards don't specify, they are unrestricted and can apply to both spent or consumed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
True they aren't rolling mods, don't know why I tought they were (probably because theres no number in the card, just the big refresh item simble lyke it is the case in most rolling mods. This just make this a lot less insane as you have to wait till you draw the refresh item cards on your other attacks or get them to pop up in the right order during the advantage. Its possible to use other refresh item cards from the quartermaster selection tough, and the utility belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.