Nils "Atlatl" Devine
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Hunt or Gather
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for the a podcast to help me catch up on the latest ideas in board game design. I've been out of the loop for a couple years, but consumed a heavy diet of board game podcasts and new games from around 2006-2014.

Ludology seems like the place to start, I doubt anybody has unseated Geoff from his position as king of GameTek.

What's the best podcast for keeping up with the new Euro and American games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the result of caprice
Mozambique
msg tools
designer
mbmb

This series of videos changed my expectations of board game analysis and criticism. It is, simply, brilliant:

All the Games You Like Are Bad
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw_gTSxeK4OGV8HXDl0fgzg

In addition to the game analysis, there is insightful design wisdom in these videos. I can't recommend these videos highly enough: they are presented with cleverness, wit, and an impressive breadth of knowledge of board games and the industry. Frankly, these videos put to shame most other show-and-tell "reviews."

The video series seems to be over, BUT, there is a fresh newly minted podcast called So Very Wrong About Games with Mark Bigney (the gentleman in the videos) and Mike Walker. They seem to be long-time friends and they have a great rapport and they are obviously very experienced gamers. As of this post they have six outstanding episodes available.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/so-very-wrong-about-game...

https://www.spreaker.com/show/so-very-wrong-about-games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been listening to the Board Game Design Lab. The host has weekly high profile guests. Not everything is relevant to what I'm doing but provides a lot of insight from theory, design, development and the current state of board game culture.

http://www.boardgamedesignlab.com/category/podcast/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Edison
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
publisher
Here are some podcasts that are consistently useful for board game designers:

Ludology - the heavyweight of board game design podcasts

Board Game Design Lab - a newer show but an active one, with lots of topics in game design theory

The Game Design Round Table - wide-ranging discussions about game design and the industry, mostly tabletop

Game Designers of North Carolina Podcast - well-rounded conversations about design topics

Building the Game - documenting two designers as they've joined the industry over the past five years

Board Game Business Podcast - focused on industry topics such as licensing, conventions and publishing

The Game Crafter Official Podcast - most episodes are useful even if you don't use their service

Breaking Into Board Games - interviews with people who have made a place for themselves in the industry

Cardboard Architects - interesting conversations about specific topics that are rarely discussed elsewhere

Drive to Work Podcast - mostly Magic-focused, but often useful for tabletop game design in general

On Board Games - frequently discusses design topics, beyond the usual reviews

The Snakescast - regularly digs into particular design trends

The Board Game Workshop - new podcast with some interesting interviews

Legal Moves - legal advice for game designers

We also maintain a feed of specific episodes that are especially useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardEdison wrote:
Here are some podcasts that are consistently useful for board game designers:

Thanks a bunch for this list: I was looking for new podcasts anyway. So far I've listened to 6 of them (unfortunately I cannot remember which ones, because I just downloaded episodes from the links and did not pay attention where the inidividual files came from) and there was only one that did not grab me. Great stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just searched on my podcast app (android, Radio Public) for So Very Wrong About Games and they're not showing up there, boooo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the result of caprice
Mozambique
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Tuism wrote:
I just searched on my podcast app (android, Radio Public) for So Very Wrong About Games and they're not showing up there, boooo

I use Podcast Addict (android) and it allows you to search their directory or itunes. The app is constantly be updated, in a good way. The developer seems to be on top of things in terms of minor bugs and user requests. I recommend it.

Check to see if your app as the option to search itunes.

By the way...Greetings Tuism, from Mozambique...Hello neighbor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Engage Games
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also really enjoy the Board Game Design Lab.

It currently has an Indiegogo campaign going at:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/board-game-design-lab-201...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bean
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how much you will learn by it, but my favorite new board game podcast is "This Game Is Broken". A audio game show about board games. It keeps me laughing all the way to work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lowen
United States
Fallbrook
California
flag msg tools
designer
DeliveranceTheGame.com
badge
The battle between Heaven & Hell will soon be waged at your table. Deliverance is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbodnar wrote:
I also really enjoy the Board Game Design Lab.

It currently has an Indiegogo campaign going at:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/board-game-design-lab-201...

Any chance to support Gabe -- dude produces great content and we need to see it continue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.