5 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stacking passive abilities when preforming tests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren A
Canada
flag msg tools

I played a 4 player game against Cthulhu and would some clarification if I was playing correctly.

Jim Culver and Silas Marsh were both on a sea space with Cthylla on it. To test will/strength during the combat encounter against Cthylla we applied 1 bonus from an item for each test as well as the 2 additional dies from both investigators passive abilities for each test.

(Silas) If you are on a Sea space, investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving tests.

(Jim) Investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving tests during Combat Encounters.

Were we doing this correctly? Silas had the lightning Gun (+6) so I ended up rolling 9 dice (+6 item, 2 additional dies from passive, +3 strength stat) for the strength test after subtractions from Cthylla's card (-2).

Jim and Silas basically stuck together the entire game against Cthulhu and it seemed too easy. So i guess my 2 questions are:

(1) Can you use investigator's passive abilities on each test?

(2) Can you stack investigators's passive abilities, (I'm aware you can't stack items/spell bonuses)? The abilities would seem pretty useless if you can't stack with an item bonus.

It seems pretty straight forward but I've been wrong before.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Looks like it was all correct.

Those investigator bonuses stacked because they talk about "additional dice", this is a mechanic with unrestricted stacking (although many have specifically incompatible conditions; eg you can obviously not be on a sea space and wilderness space at the same time, so could not stack Silas and Leo like that).
Some abilities like these may include a "once per round limit" (eg Lola), barring that they could indeed be used on any test that applies.

Item bonuses do not inherently not stack because they are items, there are items/allies that also use "additional dice" wording (although they are a bit rare, those would freely stack), they instead often don't stack because they are bonuses and use the "gain x stat" wording. Only one thing with that wording is permitted per test; it doesn't matter if that bonus actually comes from an item (like most weapons), or an ally, or even an investigator ability (like Jenny Barnes shopping bonus) or whatever.

Note that even if a particular bonus on a thing is pointless because you have a better one, you can still use other portions of the item; for example the Whip reroll can still be used even if you're shooting with a shotgun. The shotgun's 6-count-double effect can still be used even when shooting with a Lightning gun etc.

tl;dr There is no "1 item only" rule in play, just a "1 "gain" bonus per test" rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lightning gun, eh ! Wow, I never see it in my games. You may wait a long time before it appears again for Silas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren A
Canada
flag msg tools

Another question that came up during the game was during the "Deep Ones Attack!" Mystery.

An investigator had the Lodge Researcher asset (If you defeat a Monster during a Combat Encounter, recover 1 Sanity and gain 1 Clue). If the investigator defeated a deep one ambush during the deep ones attack! Encounter phase, does he gain a clue and could he use that clue to put the eldritch token on the mystery.

The rules say that an ambush is considered a combat encounter so I would assume this is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theswizz wrote:

Another question that came up during the game was during the "Deep Ones Attack!" Mystery.

An investigator had the Lodge Researcher asset (If you defeat a Monster during a Combat Encounter, recover 1 Sanity and gain 1 Clue). If the investigator defeated a deep one ambush during the deep ones attack! Encounter phase, does he gain a clue and could he use that clue to put the eldritch token on the mystery.

The rules say that an ambush is considered a combat encounter so I would assume this is possible.

An ambush is combat, so yes, you do get a clue from the Lodge Researcher.

I forget if there are any restrictions from the "Deep Ones Attack" mystery, but if there aren't, then yes, you can use the clue immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.