Subject: Revised/Updated Rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
I spoke with David Heath from Lock 'n Load on Thursday. We discussed The Pacific War: From Pearl Harbor to the Philippines, and he invited me to assist with an update of the rules. The project is already underway, but sadly, David has recently lost a family member and is attending to much more important matters.

This should provide clarity to some of the questions on BGG and Consimworld. No estimate on the timeline, but will provide updates as they are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil, glad you are taking the initiative (and without a card play, no less!) I certainly hope the translator will be involved. Awaiting developments...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, the game that was on the BGG market at £40 sold as did Boardgameguru's version at £44.95 in the last couple of days, so some people in the UK are willing to take a punt as is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Peters
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
By no means is this a bad game, but there are some clarifications needed.

Mad Dog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've spent some time going through the published English rules and the unofficial English translation of the Japanese rules to try and clean up and simplify the wording of the control section of the rules. Here is my first draft. Comments and improvements welcome.

1. OZs on the map are either bases (circles) or ports (rectangles). A player controls a base when:
a. It contains the player’s LBA units, or;

b. It contains the player’s naval units and is not adjacent to an OZ
containing an opponent LBA unit, or;

c. It is adjacent to an OZ containing the player’s LBA unit(s), and
neither contains the opponent's naval units nor is it adjacent to an
OZ containing an opponent LBA unit.

2. A port controlled by your opponent is treated as a base under your control if 1.a. or 1.b. above are satisfied. Neither player can use it as a port for any purpose in this case (e.g. collection of VPs or capital ship resupply).

Note:

- "Adjacent" = connected by open sea lane 1 space away.

- The control rules sometimes have clauses relating to opposing LBAs or ships occupying an OZ with your own units, but I think this happens only during combat, so avoiding determining control during combat would avoid the need for these extra clauses, although I haven't thought this through yet.

- I haven't mentioned the port capture rules as they seem clear enough.

Edit: included distance restriction in definition of adjacency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Constans wrote:

This looks good. It took me a moment to get the third bullet above, but it works. Essentially, if the base falls within one player's Air Superiority Zone (adjacent), but not both players Air Superiority Zones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red_herring wrote:
Constans wrote:

This looks good. It took me a moment to get the third bullet above, but it works. Essentially, if the base falls within one player's Air Superiority Zone (adjacent), but not both players Air Superiority Zones.

Thanks for the comment.

I decided to drop the game's use of the term "Air Superiority Zones" as it introduces a concept that doesn't really add anything, and has two major exceptions, and rephrasing the rules and just talking about adjacency cuts down on a lot of verbage. Thematically, LBA adjacency can be understood in terms of air superiority of course, but this can be in the preamble or notes somewhere IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a long post explaining this, but it got lost before I could post, but I think LBAs shouldn’t be able to redeploy to isolated bases during the supply phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on when we might be seeing the sorely needed revised rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Peters
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
We are working with LnL now to get a revised version out soon. Cant tell you exactly when "soon" is though.

Mad Dog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.