Hide
9 Posts

Firefly: The Game – Jetwash» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Why would you ever want to play this ship? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Haneline
msg tools
Compared to the 4 Mk3 Fireflies and the other other two Mk4's, Jetwash seems like kind of a bad choice. Compared to the Mk3, your max crew is reduced by 1, you have 1 fewer upgrade slot, you have no stash to hide fugitives or contraband in, and you are down $1000 because you are forced to buy two upgrades that can only be used once each. This is in exchange for the ability to discard parts to count as a pilot (which seems inferior to just... having a pilot), the ability to spend 1 extra fuel to +2 full burn range, a 3 square stash that can only be used on fuel (why would you stash fuel?) and the aforementioned one-use upgrades.

The Artful Dodger and Esmeralda seem to get a lot more bang for buck for what you're giving up. Am I missing something? Why would I ever choose the Jetwash?

I mean, I guess it's better than the Walden, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the fully-expanded game, there are still only eight pilots for hire out of 262 Supply cards, and two Leaders with Pilot.

Consider Jetwash combined with Monty, Murphy or Corbin (Mechanic): you can go straight into Reaver space on turn one, or spend your shopping turns looking for other things rather than hunting for pilots. You could start at Silverhold and load up on Fight rather than joining the scrum at Space Bazaar.

You would stash fuel because otherwise someone with a piracy job will take it off you! Fuel and Parts are Goods just as Cargo and Contraband are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Jetwash. It moves around quicker on average by using that extra range option. For me it's often a tossup between Esmeralda or Jetwash (I haven't managed to acquire Artful Dodger yet).

Oh, and I like Walden just fine. Your overall strategy is heavily influenced by it, and for some story cards it is a really bad choice. That said, I've had some really successful games running Walden.

Now the Interceptor on the other hand... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think of the four core Fireflies as the basic, generalist ship, and the Artful Dodger as an upgrade. (Yes, you have a smaller Cargo Hold, but the advantages - bigger Crew and more Range, generally outstrip that.)

These five ships are the easiest to use, because they have no real strength and no real weakness. That doesn't make them better, just easier.

The other ships (Walden, Interceptor, Jetwash, and Esmeralda) are "advanced" ships. Their design is more complicated, and each offers more varied strengths and weaknesses. Their value, individually or compared with the basic ships, is based on how well can can leverage their strengths and how much you can mitigate their weaknesses.

In short, it means that they're more work to use.

Of these four ships, the Esmeralda is the easiest to use, I think, because it does not have diminished Crew (like the Jetwash and Interceptor), Range (like the Walden) or Cargo Hold space (like the Interceptor). I think it also has more flexible upgrades vs the Jetwash. The biggest downside is the extra money you need to shell out for the Upgrades (this is accentuated with The Browncoat Way, where you also have to pay for the higher inherent value of the ship besides).

Does this make it a better ship than the Jetwash? Again, probably not better... just easier to use.

The other three ships are even more specialized. They can be quite effective - but it's harder work!

(Full disclosure: I will always take the Esmeralda over the Jetwash. I DO actually think the Jetwash and the Artful Dodger are the "best" ships in the game, in that they're the easiest to use.)

The Jetwash, for example, is most useful when Smuggling. You can load up 3 Jobs at a single location (eg, Blue Sun, Space Bazaar, or Harvest) then deliver in quick succession. Same holds true for the Walden. Amnon Duul, Harrow, and Higgins all have groupings of Jobs that can be chained together if you can get them. For example, I like starting out in Blue Sun and getting 4 of the Jobs that deliver to Silverhold and/or the Space Bazaar. It takes a while to line it all up, but can pay off big.

The inherent unique value of Jetwash, is, as Chris notes, it's speed and maneuverability. The ability to increase your range, especially when paired with the one-shot ability to take Fly Actions back-to-back can be a decisive advantage if used properly. Although this can be a great late-game move, it's actually stronger early on, since you now open up an Upgrade slot for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Of these four ships, the Esmeralda is the easiest to use, I think, because it does not have diminished Crew (like the Jetwash and Interceptor),

Are you sure about that? If so, I have a PBF moderator spreadsheet to correct! I'll have been wrong all this time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once you factor in the starting Upgrade, it has the "standard" crew of 6. Yes, it's possible you can lose this, but it takes some really bad luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! right, well in that case, okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Edited to note that it's possible to lose the crew of 6... but tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Haneline
msg tools
I actually played the Esmeralda last weekend and lost my +1 crew upgrade in the second round of the game cry

Damn scrapper trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.