Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hosting a recurring event with different groups of non-gamers who are international students. They speak English fairly well although it's a second language for them. We played "Say Anything" many times and it's always been a hit. Can you recommend similar games or others that would be good for such a group?

Ideally the game should
- play well with 5 or more players
- play in 1 hour or less
- have easy to understand rules for beginners
- be friendly (minimum or no conflict)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Games similar to "Say Anything" or others that help practice English
Codenames or Codenames: Pictures

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taboo has you describe a word to your team, but without mentioning specific other (related) words. However, the time limit may make it too difficult.

Would Dixit / Dixit Odyssey work? Trying to think of alternate non-obvious ways to describe pictures in a second language would be a decent challenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorrig von Knorrig
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend Codenames, since language skills are essential there. Better-skilled people will dominate the game, and the ones who want to learn sit there and say nothing.
Any cooperative game should be fine. Take "The Game" for learning numbers and synonyms for smaller or greater differences. We own "Hanabi" which is also fine. I wouldn't recommend either with more than 4 players, though. If learning the language is the focus, more players aren't better, anyway, since the weaker speakers will automatically talk less. For more advanced gamers, take "Robinson Crusoe" or any other cooperative game of your preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. We played Dixit and it was okay but we preferred "Say Anything" a lot more because it had more interaction. I think "Wits & Wagers" would be great too and it's on my list. And I just added Taboo, so thanks for the recommendation. Any other games that are easy, friendly and good for 5-6 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for Vegas Wits & Wagers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.