Subject: Can someone explain "ENTERTAINER" Background? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Given that there is no definition for "permanently" in the glossary, one interpretation of "Discard a card and you may permanently ignore a Requires X- Play/Purchase/Class on one card" is that after 5 games wherein you have discarded a single card, you are now at 5 Market cards for which you can ignore Requires X. And by the tenth game, this consummate showman can buy just about anything...

Seems weirdly OP relative to the non-benefit of all the other Backgrounds.

What am I missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first background I took.

I played that the effect lasted only for the duration of the current game.

The only things that carry between games are xp, features and Magic Items.

When I used it, my Bard typically picked up a lightning bolt or one of the Ranger cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
majkmajk majkmajk
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:

When I used it, my Bard typically picked up a lightning bolt or one of the Ranger cards.

I have a follow up question which was triggered by your comment above. Doesnt there have to be a character with the Ranger Class for the Ranger cards to be in the Market Deck at all? Or does this background enable you to for example take Hunters Mark and put those Markets cards into this games Market Deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
majkmajk wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I have a follow up question which was triggered by your comment above. Doesnt there have to be a character with the Ranger Class for the Ranger cards to be in the Market Deck at all? Or does this background enable you to for example take Hunters Mark and put those Markets cards into this games Market Deck?

My wife was playing a Ranger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
@majk, I don’t think this background Feature would allow you to add cards to the market Without there being a player of that class In the party when the market was set up for the scenario about to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

I agree with this. The function of many of these types of cards and the entertainer background is that it allows you to temporarily access cards from other classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wafflebob wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I agree with this. The function of many of these types of cards and the entertainer background is that it allows you to temporarily access cards from other classes.

I think the reason they put in "permanently" so was that people would understand you weren't just overriding a purchase requirement (e.g., with Twist The Knife), but that you were also overriding any of the normal requirements on the card, so a Fighter could play a Bard card, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.