Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Hahn
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I picked this game up just a day ago from a local game store on a whim. Knew nothing about it but it sounded great. But tonight I played a 2 champion solo "learners game" through 3 turns... And I got stomped. As in, shuffled out of the room to go feel bad about buying a bad game and never want to play it again kind of way.

I felt like I couldn't get anywhere I needed to be, couldn't do what I needed to do (never had enough actions to use either Selenes or the sneak attack champs ability, much less remove a shadow token in one turn of it appearing before it turned into a foe), and even when avoiding combat, I was thrown into it. And there were a number of times I had to retreat because it was impossible for me to do damage (even with using willpower). I finally just gave up when I encountered an enemy I couldn't retreat from, but was mathematically unable to damage or avoid damage from.

Is this right? Should I feel like I can't get to enemies or allies or afford to use abilities instead of movement? Should battles force me to roll 5+ (with our without willpower) to even do one damage or avoid anything? I really want to love this game (the stories are great and I could look at the art for days) but I just don't get how it is so ridiculously difficult. None of the reviews I read said it was this crazy. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or hoto turn around this sour first play?

Played with Arlene and Nora against Morrigan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember all the rules off the top of my head, but I do remember the game being a fun challenge but not impossible. From reading your post, it sounds to me most of your troubles are combat related. I recommend re-reading the rules and try playing another game. I enjoyed it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that not every co-op or solo game can be won in the first play. Even in a simple game of Pandemic one can expect to lose from time to time.

Try again, and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hahn
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've discovered a few mistakes, and chatting with the developer made me realize I kinda set the game on hard mode by playing the champions I did and only 2 of them. I also think it was just dumb bad luck in some cases that all compounded (rolls requiring willpower and failed checks on scenarios). Likely played too aggressive as well.

I still feel like the number of available actions is severely limited and I wonder if I am correct about the rules regarding them. You only get 3 actions per round per champion (so 15 total actions in Act 1), correct? A turn of move-move-move and getting to a shadow token, but it turns into a foe before removing it feels like I could never get to them in time. Unless they spawn where I already am. Maybe I just have the wrong mindset so far.

Will definitely be retrying it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Preisman
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys, I'm the graphic designer of the game. The creator of the game always answers questions on here, but he must have missed this one. I told him about it and I'm sure he'll come here and answer you asap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Preisman
Canada
flag msg tools
Ahhh nevermind he answered you already privately. I told you that guy is good aha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Worm Johnson
msg tools
That was my exact experience as well, and this is coming from someone with 10 years of Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror experience, as well as one of the most brutally difficult co-ops around, Ghost Stories.

There's not much to do with actions other than move or heal most of the time.

Most heroes need equipment to have a decent chance at doing anything, but you can't buy equipment without gold from quests or killing monsters but you can't complete quests or kill monsters without equipment.

Combat characters are head and shoulders above than the rest. The game is mostly made up of killing monsters and completing quests, and half the quests require you to beat a tough monster (that you have to beat in a single encounter or that you can't retreat from). High Might combat characters are just the way to go.

Half or more of The Hand is usually clogged up with Relics that no one can pick up or spells that only a couple of heroes can use (and not that many spells are better than rerolls or combat equipment).

Player elimination. That's just never a good idea, man . You can run out of heroes and get eliminated with an hour left in the game. Sometimes it's not even your fault because you happened to draw a "fight a tough monster you can't retreat from" quest.

(I had particular issue with the hero I drew, Nora. Her best ability is getting to roll 2 dice and pick the highest while on a Wilds space...except she starts on a dead end at the bottom of the board while all the wild spaces are clustered at the top. You have to spend 2 whole turns doing nothing but moving if you want to get any use out of her best feature, which means half of Act I is over before you can really start using her. It just felt like poor design clustering all the Wilds at the top and starting the wilds centric hero as far from them as possible.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Mac
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played for the first time tonight. It was a 4 player game and I was the Magi character while the other 3 players were combat orientated (inc 1 obvious tank). Sorry I can't remember character names. Despite not being great in general 1 on 1 combat my character ability meant I could easily gain spell cards from the pool and over the game I ended up with an attack buff for all players on the same space (starting card), a defence buff for all players on the same space and a pretty devastating Storm spell that lets you remove whatever you roll from a foes health without them even rolling for defence. His passive ability to not be affected by magic afflictions came in useful more than once as well with me often choosing to be the target (when we had the choice) knowing I could instantly nullify it.

We were playing with Morrigan as the foe and by act 2 we had tons of enemies on the board but we were lucky enough for her to spawn in a spot next to us so we all just jumped on her and went to town, with me buffing and others attacking, easily killing her off within two rounds. This was with me purchasing the lucky coin as extra security (but her being killed off by the guy playing before me before I even got to use it) AND with me thinking I could only use spells once per turn and not realising that I could spam the Storms spell for all 3 turns if I wanted to, which would have made life much easier. We used quest tokens to stop her lowering our will and used the will we would have lost instead to help our rolls.

My points are 1 - High Might/Melee characters are definitely NOT necessarily the best tactic as stated above. 2 - Difficulty will depend on a lot of factors inc player count (even just having an odd number of players increases the difficulty), which characters you play, which main Foe you choose to fight and of course, like with most games, an element of plain dumb luck.

We had a great time playing this. All the gameplay and story of an RPG without all the fiddly stats and the extended arguing over GM decisions. Thanks Devs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Balota
msg tools
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm wondering the same thing. I'm facing Arwyn, and at the end of every turn, he places new shadow tokens and foes on ALL shadow tokens. But on my turn, I moved to spaces with shadow tokens, can't remove them because of the foe standing on the token, and combat gets resolved AFTER my action round.

So every round plays like this...

I move to space with foe and shadow token.
Can't remove token because of foe.
Combat begins, I kill the foe.
End of turn, new foe gets placed on shadow token.
Repeat.

The main confusion is that the "remove shadow token" action takes place BEFORE combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Torelli
Italy
Pianello Vallesina di Monte Roberto (AN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MadVinnie22 wrote:
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm wondering the same thing. I'm facing Arwyn, and at the end of every turn, he places new shadow tokens and foes on ALL shadow tokens. But on my turn, I moved to spaces with shadow tokens, can't remove them because of the foe standing on the token, and combat gets resolved AFTER my action round.

So every round plays like this...

I move to space with foe and shadow token.
Can't remove token because of foe.
Combat begins, I kill the foe.
End of turn, new foe gets placed on shadow token.
Repeat.

The main confusion is that the "remove shadow token" action takes place BEFORE combat.

You can remove shadow tokens with Foe present on them, there's no rule that forbids it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.