United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
Any information on this?

Hi Aaron. More pics and info should hopefully be coming from AEG over the next couple months. Getting ready for the Edge of Darkness Kickstarter and fulfilling the Thunderstone one are their current top priorities as I understand though.

I'm happy to answer any questions about Space Base though. I really love this game and had a great time working on it. It's been my go-to playtest filler game for the last year and I'm not even a little bit tired of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds so fun. Can you shed some light on gameplay, feel, style of game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
Sounds so fun. Can you shed some light on gameplay, feel, style of game?

I expect the comparison everyone to draw as a first blush will be Machi Koro, which is entirely fair since that was the inspiration for the game. Similar to Machi Koro, you roll 2 dice at the start of your turn and then you get stuff, and other people might get stuff. The overarching difference though is that Space Base is all about engine synergies. For example, rather than stacking your 9 and then hoping 9s are rolled, in Space Base you might put a powerful effect in your 9 spot and then work on buying cards that give you the ability to convert rolls into 9s. Space Base is all about buying cards that make sense given your other cards. Sure there are more powerful and less powerful cards, but buying the right card for your engine is more important than buying a powerful card.

Other key differences...

First, when you roll the dice you get to choose if you want to use the Sum or both individual numbers. So the probabilities are totally different. 6 is actually the most common number, and 1 is more common than 7.

Second, you always get stuff on your own rolls, and you might get stuff on other players' rolls. You always have 12 "station" cards numbered 1-12, representing the things you get on the various rolls. Like Mystic Vale, there are 3 a tableaus of new cards you can buy leveled 1, 2, and 3 that cycle as players buy the cards, so there is a rotating set of options to buy. All cards have a number, 1-12 on them. When you buy a new card it replaces the Station card with that number, and the replaced card is then flipped upside-down revealing a new effect. These effects of replaced station cards usually make the core of your strategy since they stack and score on other players rolls. For example, if I've replaced my #9 station card 3 times this game, I will now have 3 stacked #9 effects that I score when an opponent rolls a 9.

Overall, Space Base is a gateway game, very easy to teach. I usually just start playing and guide people on their first turn as to what to do, and after one or two turns everyone knows how to play. However, despite the simplicity there is good strategic depth and building a clever engine is really satisfying in this game.

I just remembered I wrote a designer diary a while back that I don't think AEG published yet. I will post that soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Sounds fun! Can't wait to see more of it. It does sounds more interesting than Machi koro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Nehwon
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick mention of Space Base at around 22:00 and then again around 24:15 with a pic.

ManvsMeeple on youtube, ChitChat episode 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C9kuXas7_8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Will this be a kickstarter game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dancey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No. It is going direct to brick & mortar stores in mid April.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdancey wrote:
No. It is going direct to brick & mortar stores in mid April.

glad to hear this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dancey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The web page for Space Base is live.

https://www.alderac.com/space-base

Has a downloadable copy of the rulebook!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to show this off but link it dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Wanted to show this off but link it dead.

Yeah, AEG's main site is down currently. They are working on it. Hopefully will be back up in a day or two, but I really don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnDClair wrote:
First, when you roll the dice you get to choose if you want to use the Sum or both individual numbers. So the probabilities are totally different. 6 is actually the most common number, and 1 is more common than 7.

This game sounds pretty cool; I'm definitely going to watch out for it. But I had some questions about the above mechanism. I assume you make this choice after you roll the dice, correct? And does each player make this choice (i.e. on a roll of 3 and 4, one player can choose to use 3 and 4, while another can choose to interpret it as a 7), or does the rolling player decide for everyone (i.e. it's a 7 for everyone, like it or not). I see interesting possibilities either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
CarlB wrote:
JohnDClair wrote:

This game sounds pretty cool; I'm definitely going to watch out for it. But I had some questions about the above mechanism. I assume you make this choice after you roll the dice, correct? And does each player make this choice (i.e. on a roll of 3 and 4, one player can choose to use 3 and 4, while another can choose to interpret it as a 7), or does the rolling player decide for everyone (i.e. it's a 7 for everyone, like it or not). I see interesting possibilities either way.

Good question. Yes, after you roll, and all players choose independently, the active player does not decide for everyone. I decided not to go that route as players could really AP over the choice if they had to think about not just what they got, but also what all opponents got. Wanted this game to have a snappy pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, from a marketing standpoint -

Website says releasing in April - is this accurate? And if so, why no pictures and/or gameplay or how-to videos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
Just out of curiosity, from a marketing standpoint -

Website says releasing in April - is this accurate? And if so, why no pictures and/or gameplay or how-to videos?

Yup the release is coming up. I can't comment on "why", that's an AEG thing. I do know they've sent a bunch of copies to reviewers and such which hopefully will start popping up soon, and they will be showing off to retailers at GAMA in a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uninformed speculation: with the number of games that come out these days, the window when a given game will be available for purchase is smaller, so rather than have a slow burn of anticipation it makes sense to push all the publicity into a short period just as retail availability starts. At least that's a plausible thing for AEG to be trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
This was demoed a bit on BGG's GAMA broadcast: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/239051884- skip to about 5:17:30

I've preordered now that I've seen how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
This was demoed a bit on BGG's GAMA broadcast: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/239051884- skip to about 5:17:30

I've preordered now that I've seen how it plays.

Thanks! I watched this and agree, it looks good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnDClair wrote:
I just remembered I wrote a designer diary a while back that I don't think AEG published yet. I will post that soon.

Did this ever get posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are posting daily previews on our Alderac facebook page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.