Hide
6 Posts

Charlemagne, Master of Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lahl
msg tools
So I need some movement clarification. Let's say based on the game state in the image, I want to go ahead and over a few actions move Charlemagne from Carinthia to Poitiers to start suppressing there. If I force march, I can get him to Lombardy but I can't force march again on my next action since the force march has to move through and end in an empty space which would exclude Poitiers. If I took a suppression action I could move to Burgundy first but that doesn't do anything either. What am I missing?

Next example based on the same image, say Charlemagne was in in the Saxons II region. Is his only way to exit the brown region by either attacking the Saxons I area or sieging it? He can't move and suppress in Veleri since there's a leader in the region and he can't force march since there are enemy units on either side of him. Do I have this right?

Really great game BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sharpe08 wrote:
So I need some movement clarification. Let's say based on the game state in the image, I want to go ahead and over a few actions move Charlemagne from Carinthia to Poitiers to start suppressing there. If I force march, I can get him to Lombardy but I can't force march again on my next action since the force march has to move through and end in an empty space which would exclude Poitiers. If I took a suppression action I could move to Burgundy first but that doesn't do anything either. What am I missing?

To take the Force March action, you must begin in an empty space. Before taking an action, you may (but are not required to) move. So:

1. Move to Fruili, then take Force March action to get to Lombardy
2. Don't move (still in Lombardy), then take Force March action to get to Burgundy
3. Move to Poitiers and Suppress to your heart's content

Quote:
Next example based on the same image, say Charlemagne was in in the Saxons II region. Is his only way to exit the brown region by either attacking the Saxons I area or sieging it? He can't move and suppress in Veleri since there's a leader in the region and he can't force march since there are enemy units on either side of him. Do I have this right?

Yes, he'd have to attack either the Saxons I or the Veleti, or lay siege to the Saxons I box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lahl
msg tools
Ah, so doing a forced march but not moving first, that's it. Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ward
United States
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question along those lines. I'll just explain it..

Early game. Charlie is in Reims. Paris is empty. I want to send him to Poitiers to suppress there.

I now understand that a force march isn't an appropriate maneuver. But, then how do I get him to Poitiers? I know I get a free movement before any action, so I could move him to Paris. But, page 5 says "in order to move to a Box, you must be able to take an action there." What could I do in Paris to allow such a move? The only option I see is adding a Marquis, but I don't have the funds, and Breton already has one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kohflot wrote:

Early game. Charlie is in Reims. Paris is empty. I want to send him to Poitiers to suppress there.

I now understand that a force march isn't an appropriate maneuver. But, then how do I get him to Poitiers? I know I get a free movement before any action, so I could move him to Paris. But, page 5 says "in order to move to a Box, you must be able to take an action there." What could I do in Paris to allow such a move? The only option I see is adding a Marquis, but I don't have the funds, and Breton already has one.

Reims is empty as well? Then Force March is the appropriate maneuver to get to Paris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kohflot wrote:

Remember, when you do a force march, the first "free" move is optional. So you would skip the free move, and then force march into Paris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.