Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: AoE attack to adjacent and also Q about invisibility rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I (e.g. Spellweaver) am standing in a square next to a monster and have a ranged AoE attack. I target a hex next to the monster - do I still get to attack with disadvantage?
If the monster next to a targeted hex is invisible will it still get damaged by the AoE?

Another question:
two characters are standing next to a monster. One character is invisible. Moster has an area melee attack (2 hexes next to it). Will it hit the invisible character? What about if it has (idk if there are any such) ranged AoE?

Also, some mobs curse/muddle in range. Does the invisible character also get the condition?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you still attack with disadvantage. You need to consider every hex of an area attack as a seperate attack (hence why you draw seperate modifiers). According to RAW, area attacks target everyone in that area and invisible enemies can't be targeted - so I'd assume the invisible enemy doesn't get hit by the AoE. It's the same situation for your other questions.

Thematically speaking, I'd say it makes little sense for a fireball (for example) to not hit someone in its arc simply because that person is invisible, but I'm guessing it's a balance thing.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't target a hex with an AoE, you get to target enemies in a number of hexes according to the AoE pattern, provided that at least one of the hexes in the pattern is in range of the attack. That is, you don't count range to the center hex, just to one of them. You then perform the attack against each enemy targeted, and if the attack is ranged and the enemy is adjacent, then you are at disadvantage for that attack.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:
You don't target a hex with an AoE, you get to target enemies in a number of hexes according to the AoE pattern, provided that at least one of the hexes in the pattern is in range of the attack.

But the 2nd ed rules on page 21 say
For a ranged area attack, only one of the red hexes needs to be within the range specified, and it does not need to contain an enemy.
Looks like I can target an empty any hex (except with allies - as written below).

-edited-
Can I target and ally for that?
Apparently - not "Abilities can never target allies
(positive abilities meant for allies will use the term “affect” instead of “target”). An ally can be within the affected area of an attack, but they will not be targeted by it."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said, you don't target any one hex, you just have to fulfill the requirement that at least one hex of the AoE pattern is within range. Whether or not that hex contains an ally, an enemy, or even nothing, doesn't matter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schlosser
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
From the official FAQ:

Quote:
Can I target empty hexes with an area attack?

While you are not technically "targeting" the empty hex, the hex of an area attack that is within the range specified by the attack can be empty. It can even be a wall, so long as there are enemies in the attack area that are in your line-of-sight.


So while not every hex has to contain an enemy (one or more of the affected hexes can be empty), at least one of the targeted hexes must contain an enemy and that hex must be in line-of-sight.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe an invisible target can be affected by aoe attacks.

Will have to look up the rules but basically, if you need to aim at it to hit it then invisible targets cannot be damaged, but if its a blanket effect covering a given area then yes it will damage even invisible targets within the affected area.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes W
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With regards to the invisibility:

Page 21: „Some attacks and other abilities allow figures to target multiple hexes or multiple targets at the same time."

Page 23: „If a figure is invisible, it cannot be focused on or targeted by an enemy. Invisibility does not affect a figure’s interactions with his or her allies.”

So we have played that you cannot target an invisible enemy with an AoE attack. The only way to deal damage to an invisible enemy is with indirect effects of some ability cards (e.g., adjacent enemy takes damage)

All the best,
jow
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good example of an aoe attack that would affect invisible enemies is on the top action of card 120 (cragheart's massive boulder).

The original target of this attack must be visible but the secondary effect "all allies and enemes adjacent to the target suffer 1 damage" does not require targeting so an adjacent invisible target will suffer the 1 damage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
A good example of an aoe attack that would affect invisible enemies is on the top action of card 120 (cragheart's massive boulder).

The original target of this attack must be visible but the secondary effect "all allies and enemes adjacent to the target suffer 1 damage" does not require targeting so an adjacent invisible target will suffer the 1 damage.


The splash damage isn't an attack, mechanically speaking. That's why it can target an invisible character (just like wound ticks and retaliate). To my knowledge, there isn't a single attack that can target invisible characters, except...

(minor spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
...the effects that specifically and explicitely state that invisible characters/monsters may be targeted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
so if it says "attack" or "target", it doesn't affect invisible enemies
if it doesn't say attack or target (and says "all enemies within X" or "all adjacent enemies", it would affect invisible
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wibs wrote:
nom_ wrote:
You don't target a hex with an AoE, you get to target enemies in a number of hexes according to the AoE pattern, provided that at least one of the hexes in the pattern is in range of the attack.

But the 2nd ed rules on page 21 say
For a ranged area attack, only one of the red hexes needs to be within the range specified, and it does not need to contain an enemy.
Looks like I can target an empty any hex (except with allies - as written below).

-edited-
Can I target and ally for that?
Apparently - not "Abilities can never target allies
(positive abilities meant for allies will use the term “affect” instead of “target”). An ally can be within the affected area of an attack, but they will not be targeted by it."

you can target the hex that the ally is on (in terms of setting up the attack pattern), just as long as there is a (non-invisible) enemy SOMEWHERE in the attack pattern. it just won't affect any allies (or invisible enemies) inside the attack pattern, unless specifically states on the card
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DJCBlue wrote:
So while not every hex has to contain an enemy (one or more of the affected hexes can be empty), at least one of the targeted hexes must contain an enemy and that hex must be in line-of-sight.

and any enemy targetted must be within line-of-sight
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't target an empty hex, you target the enemies that are within the AOE pattern. The range is to the nearest hex in the pattern but that hex, empty or not, is not the target.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
You don't target an empty hex, you target the enemies that are within the AOE pattern. The range is to the nearest hex in the pattern but that hex, empty or not, is not the target.

true, but it is easier to say "target the hex" instead of "use this hex as the hex upon which to orientate the attack pattern".
my bad, I'm lazy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

true, but it is easier to say "target the hex" instead of "use this hex as the hex upon which to orientate the attack pattern".
my bad, I'm lazy.


I can relate to that. But in this case, the rules question came up because "attacking a hex" was thought possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.