Hide
13 Posts

Battle for Rokugan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on Crane Power rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bray
msg tools
In the situation where the Crane clan partakes in a battle, don't win said battle but still tie due to there being more than one opponent or the province being neutral with a standing defence, do they then win that province? The Crane Clans power reads "When you are tied, you win instead". For example in the following example who wins:

Crane and Scorpion attack a neural Shadowlands province (which has a plus one defence printed on it), Scorpion with an Army 3 token and Crane with an Army 1 token.

Because Crane has the same value as the province and tie, do they win the province? RAW it would seem to be the case but it also doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me? As if the bonus should only come into effect if the Crane clan is tieing the highest opponent. Is there any kind of FAQ or designer statement that clears this up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bown
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Common sense would say no. And if anyone argues just don't play games with them as they're idiots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bray
msg tools
No one I've played with has claimed this, however I've seen people (on BGG and other places) saying that playing Crane and attacking such that you can force a tie (neutral owned capitols, shadowlands etc) is a legitimate strategy, so I would like clarification before in case it becomes an issue in future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I would translate it to simply mean u win ties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bray
msg tools
That's not especially helpful, do you win all ties you're involved in or only ties where you're tieing for the most powerful? The first makes more sense and is less...gamey? Where as the second is true to a strict reading of the rules, however the rules are regarding this is a single line on the player aid for the Crane Clan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wbray wrote:
you win all ties ... where you're tieing for the most powerful

This. Just go with it. Why belabor this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meduseld Edoras
msg tools
A careful reading of the rules makes it pretty clear that the Crane Clan's ability is meant to override the rule of "defenders win ties".

So if Crane is in a battle, and they tie (the word "tie" is only used in the rulebook to refer to a tie for the highest strength in a battle; there is no notion of a "tie" in this game except a tie for the highest strength), then instead of the defender being the winner, it will be the Crane Clan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So So
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree and add they win ANY tie..including 2 attacker ties. Example. Crab puts a 2 Army, Crane puts a 2 Army and defender has 1 Army (or 2..doesn't matter), Crane wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bray
msg tools
Ok, so I'm pretty sure I'll explain the rule to my players as "if there is no winner in a conflict in which Crane is participating, then instead of the defender winning then Crane win instead". In situations where Crane ties but there's a different winner then their power doesn't come into effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john warrior
msg tools
Its not even technically correct.

In opening example with Scorpion attacks empty shadowland with 3 power and Crane with 1, the effect is not a tie, its a win for Scorpion. If there is a winner then there cant be a tie per definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is the exact way to interpret that situation. Also, if the Crane clan has exactly the same score as any other player at the end of the game, they win instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy ZJ
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HotHeart wrote:
Also, if the Crane clan has exactly the same score as any other player at the end of the game, they win instead.

No, how did you come to this conclusion?

Please see here for the tiebreaker rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's right there on their screen: "When you are tied, you win instead."

(I'm being sarcastic )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.