Subject: Discover hex and load fish haul on same turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

I assume you are allowed to discover a new hex ending your ships movement but still load a fish haul into the same boat from an adjacent fish hex?

Example:
1. Move boat & discover hex (sheep #5)
2. Throw crew over board and load fish haul on same turn (but not move of course)

There was some confusion over whether you were even allowed to load a fish haul when your boat is adjacent to a fish hex. I assumed you could but the rules make it sound like you can only load fish if the boat faces in towards a fish hex (like a discovery).

I then read a comment by Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH on anther BGG thread which said both was allowed.

Quote:
The only requirement is, that the ship either points to a fish ground or stands aside of a fishground.

For what it’s worth, I think the rules book should be better clarified and include this information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BC2014 wrote:
I assume you are allowed to discover a new hex ending your ships movement but still load a fish haul into the same boat from an adjacent fish hex?

Example:
1. Move boat & discover hex (sheep #5)
2. Throw crew over board and load fish haul on same turn (but not move of course)

Both of these actions can be accomplished by the same ship during your turn.

BC2014 wrote:
There was some confusion over whether you were even allowed to load a fish haul when your boat is adjacent to a fish hex. I assumed you could but the rules make it sound like you can only load fish if the boat faces in towards a fish hex (like a discovery).

I then read a comment by Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH on anther BGG thread which said both was allowed.

Quote:
The only requirement is, that the ship either points to a fish ground or stands aside of a fishground.

For what it’s worth, I think the rules book should be better clarified and include this information.

I have not seen the post you are referencing, so I am not sure.
But the way it is explained in the rulebook seems to indicate that to pick up a fish haul, your ship must be pointing at that fish hex (like discovering an island). Tis how I've always understood it.

However unlike discovering an island, picking up a fish haul does not end your movement; it can be done before, during, or after, your ship moves. The only way for your ship to not "point" at the fish hex at all during its movement is if it spends its whole movement taking a circular path along the fish hex tile which seems odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The passus "points toward a fish shoal hex" in the rules can be seen as the minimum position of a ship to catch the fish. In most cases it would be a waste of movement points to go further since after catching the fish there is no space for anything else in the ship and it would make sense to use remaing movement points to move the ship to the council of catan.

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.