Subject: Derring Do, Done Dirt Cheap! (Session 0/Preview) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Now that 2018 is here, it's finally time to kickoff the Dragonfire campaign I've been prepping for all holiday season.

As long as at least 4 of our 6 player party are able to make it to the Hall of Heroes, we'll be swashing some buckles, routing some foes, and consuming plenty of Good Quality Rations... roughly every other Sunday till we run out of content.

Why here and not a blog? Well for starters, my job--while nothing fancy--is still one that makes it generally frowned upon and a not-so-great idea to have a glaring web presence. The other reason? Mainly it's a safe bet you folks reading this particular set of threads are at least a little interested in the game. cool

So with all that out of the way, I aim to post narrative-flavored session reports here as long as I have time and ya'll have interest.

Planning to have venison chili and mead on hand to sustain the 6 of us through our kickoff session. Depending on how that goes, I'd like to run the L1 Dungeon Delve back to back with it.

One other thing worth putting out there. Along with finishing touches on the A TOWER SHAPED HOLE kickoff scenario (in Files section--watch for final-ish version sometime after the live play 1/7/18) I'm also working on a "Gloomhaven-inspired" Random Encounter Table with Legacy elements! for DUNGEON DELVES (L2 and beyond) and similar adventures that are not campaign critical. I want more (non-solo) playtime and playtest before I post the particulars, but I think I have a pretty neat way to spice up such repeated scenarios. Details to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LOL. That took awhile. I think I tried to post that last week. Now I know not to put pictures in a post I guess.

The Session went swimmingly, even with a few hiccups and lessons learned. I'll be putting up a session report next couple days under a new thread WITH NO PICTURES. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your intent is to post a 'travelog' of sorts, look at the BGG Blog stuff.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogs/myblogs

You can create a series all under a common header, so that your campaign is all easy to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How read are they? Given that I'm only really interested in tracking for own group (which already doing via a private G+ community) and sharing with people highly focused on this game, I'm not super sure this blog feature I never heard of will ever cross the paths of the folks in here. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonfiction wrote:
How read are they? Given that I'm only really interested in tracking for own group (which already doing via a private G+ community) and sharing with people highly focused on this game, I'm not super sure this blog feature I never heard of will ever cross the paths of the folks in here. Thoughts?

Anyone following the game who has subscribed (which is what I would call 'highly focused') will get all content associated with the game, to include blog posts that include it as part of the post.

Then, people can choose to follow the blog (all entries) or just those where you say it's about Dragonfire (per their DF subscription).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Out of curiousity, what is generally the point of Sessions subforum. In comparison to the blog thing, I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonfiction wrote:
Out of curiousity, what is generally the point of Sessions subforum. In comparison to the blog thing, I mean.

Same concept.

Sessions is more for one-shots - I like reading blogs for campaign content, since I can go back a few episodes if I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I bit the bullet and started a blog.

(Why do I suddenly feel like a character about to die in a 90s thriller?)

Here is the link to the inaugural post: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/72624/derring-do-done-dir...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Please let me know when your adventure is finalized and I’ll download and try it out sometime when I can get a group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! They say artistic endeavors are never so much finished as abandoned. I’ve made all the changes to A TOWER SHAPED HOLE that I plan to, barring someone pointing me at a major issue. My focus now will be playing the game, noodling on part 2 & 3, and playtesting them.

When they are all 3 in a state of “finished enough to abandon” I’ll probably roll them into a Superfile for convenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lon, I got a group of 3p together last night to play your adventure (I modified it slightly for 3p) and I think it was their favorite night of Dragonfire to date! Round 1 started out with the Sink Hole which was awesomely themed to your story, really put us in a bind early and set the tone...by the time scene 3 rolled around, the troll stunned the amulet bearer and ran off with it, Felosal gave chase, we barely survived the stalkers, it was all awesome...they said it was the most visual adventure they had played and I think it really opened up everyone's eyes to the possibilities when it comes to custom storytelling adventures that could be written.

Really good stuff, thank you! We would love more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really appreciate that feedback, Kevin! I have a page of wicked little notes for things I want to try in part 2 and 3. And maybe some other plots after this arc as I see what the devs make available. devil I came back to gaming a couple years ago after little decade long blip of writing weird fantasy and Lovecraftian horror (doubt you’ve ever read anything of mine, much less heard of). Even though I’m worn out on churning out regular fiction in the word mines, I really miss creating story—-not just reading or playing it. So I’ve really enjoyed all the brainwork puzzle of trying to wring as much creative brain “story” as I can from the logic brain “parts and rules.” (And as you saw, even some of the cracks and empty spaces where the designers so unwisely left me wiggle room to screw around in.) Gives me something more realistic to work and actually finish rather than “building a narrative RPG from scratch” when I know I don’t have the resources or business acumen much less art and technology background to ever have it go anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Session 2 report up.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/72963/derring-do-done-dir...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.