Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: My Little DIY Fleet Stand Project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I am excited to show you my DIY fleet stand that aim to improve our gaming experience. Comments are welcome for further improvement or what you think about it.

Acrylic parts are laser cut, manually assembled and welded.

First prototype. Hopefully my craftsmanship will improve on welding parts.

Magnetizing my ships with 3mm diameter magnets.

Visualization of a two levels stand concept. The stand provides more than 2" of height clearance for the WarSun and ground units. The base are thin enough to not obscure the information of the planets.

Two stands can coexist on a tile. (Prototype without magnets)

Stands on adjacent tiles.

And if two levels are not enough, we can snap more level on for even larger fleet.
[url][/url]

Since every ship is attached with a magnet, it's very easy and precise to snap one on and off the stand during play. And they hang securely onto the stands even if held side way (upside down would be okay too).

So thank you for reading my little project and I wish you all a happy new year.

Edit:
One of the ideas for Sustained Damage is to have tokens snapped to the bottom of ships. I would make the tokens with red acrylic for easier ID.

Another idea is to use thin steel plate glued with red flame-like mesh and snap one between the ship and stand magnets.

Edit 2018-01-14
The updated dxf file is available HERE for download.

Edit 2018-02-12
The download link above has been updated, adding a STL file for 3D printing of the stand. Disclaimer: The design hasn’t been printed in 3D before so I have no idea how it may work out. In another word, use at your own risk.

Having said that, I am tremendously interested to see how it will look. So please do share your opinion and pictures if you ever have one 3D printed.
  • [+] Dice rolls
COAT Christophe
France
Plouvorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oy.

This is REALLY GREAT

I'm pretty sure someone will ask, so : will you send (and ship) some of those ? Or this if for your personnal use only ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Frödin
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is looking really awesome! If you can't or don't want to manufacture, maybe you can share the design? I have to say I'm pretty inspired at least, very cool stands.

I was thinking for "ease of use", instead of welding, could it be possible to design the plastic to be a snap on assemble?

Great work, thanks for the inspiration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, those are cool - but do they knock over easily?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome

Keep us informed please.

Are the magnets placed in a whole drilled into each piece?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your kind words, guys.

The stand is as stable as a wine glass, so I think they are very practical for game use.

I don't think I can produce these stands fast enough to make it worthwhile for selling. It would take me a night work to assemble just four stands, not counting the time to get the parts done in a laser cutter workshop. It's very labor intensive so you guys will have to DIY your stands. I will post the DXF file later for laser cutting. One thing about the design though is that it uses halved joints and it's very sensitive to the thickness of acrylic used. One would need to adjust the slot width in the file according to the material thickness so that the joints aren't too loose or too tight. You will also need to accommodate for material vaporized by the laser. For example, if the acrylic is exactly 3mm, you may want to adjust the slot width to 2.8mm. You will need to do a simple test run for certain power and speed of laser cutter.

Magnets are glued on with epoxy glue. I will need to play test it more to see if they can stand the test of time.

I will update my design with a fixture that helps assembly and alignment of parts when time is allowed. Cheers, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W G
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot damn that Looks awesome.

How does this work with fleets in multiple adjacent hexes? Any issues there?

Also, my ony real criticism is the transport capacity of the fleet. That one fleet you show in the picture with the carriers has a minimum capacity of.. 13, IIRC. Since adding that many fighers is silly, is there a place for fighter tokens?

Also, what about ground units being transported? Is there a space for them, too?

That is really an awesome project, but I guess glueing magnets onto more than 200 little plasticunits is too much work for me... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jack
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! How do you indicate sustained damage on the capital ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixel Hunter wrote:
That's awesome! How do you indicate sustained damage on the capital ships?

I did make some acrylic tokens for sustained damage, the plan is to magnetize them too and attach one to the bottom of a ship when needed. I need more time to see how that work out.

Edit: Sustained Damage token prototype. I would have made them with red acrylic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumblingGamer wrote:
Hot damn that Looks awesome.

How does this work with fleets in multiple adjacent hexes? Any issues there?

Also, my ony real criticism is the transport capacity of the fleet. That one fleet you show in the picture with the carriers has a minimum capacity of.. 13, IIRC. Since adding that many fighers is silly, is there a place for fighter tokens?

Also, what about ground units being transported? Is there a space for them, too?

That is really an awesome project, but I guess glueing magnets onto more than 200 little plasticunits is too much work for me... soblue

The stand is designed such that when loaded with ships it will fit exactly half a tile. So *in theory* we can have two fleet stands on each tile (as shown in one of the photos) and multiple stands in adjacent tiles without interfering each other. When you have so many ships in adjacent tiles it will inevitably feel very crowded but I am sure stacking levels of ships is still far better than placing them like sardines on tiles or 'stool' stands.

Also, one of the characteristics of the design is that you can keep stacking the level on top of each other. If you look at the photo of a stand with three levels, it is actually a two levels stand with another magnetized level snap on top. I still need to try if stacking more than 4 levels will cause any problem but I imagine it'll most likely be a space or balance issue. Having said that, I don't think having 13 fighters together with a large fleet will work out in any situation. Most likely you will need a placeholder on the stand and the fighters and infantry off board.

And you are right, making this stands takes a lot of work, but I guess it's worth it to have some stands made for this beloved game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Scharf
United States
Ashley
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
How high is it between the levels? First level second level? Thanks

This is amazing! I plan to do it but use wooden sticks and glue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biggnnasty wrote:
How high is it between the levels? First level second level? Thanks

This is amazing! I plan to do it but use wooden sticks and glue

Thanks, Luke. Look forward to seeing your stands.

The clearing between:
Base and bottom of first level is 60mm, and,
1st Level and bottom of second level is 27mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The updated dxf file is available HERE for download.

Feel free to download and modify it for your DIY stands but please don't use it for commercial purpose. Very much look forward to seeing you guys creation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Scharf
United States
Ashley
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I finished a few stands. Not all my pictures have been approved yet but here are a few of them.

I used wood sticks and hot glue for all materials. Super excited to try them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Travis
United States
California
flag msg tools
Dang, these are really cool thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Scharf
United States
Ashley
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
First game playing with the stands. They worked well. It takes some getting used to them though. i really enjoyed them. 1 things i need to do is add a back leg to the base. There were times when they seemed to want to fall backwards. This will be a easy fix. When i get them done ill add another picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be overkill, but I wonder how little treys below the bottom tier would work for carrying counters.

Side note about the 3 tiered fleet stand. Who is getting 9 Fleet Supply with Hacan? That's crazy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jone Oma
Norway
flag msg tools
Would it be possible to get a file for 3D printing? They have a 3D printer at the local library I can use ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I drew the design in Sketchup and it’s not difficult to transform the 2D drawing into 3D. However, I seriously doubt the printed parts will be strong enough as the 3mm width base frame requires the tensile strength of stronger material like acrylic. If you still want to try you can shoot me a Geekmail. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neigutten wrote:
Would it be possible to get a file for 3D printing? They have a 3D printer at the local library I can use ^^

I have uploaded the STL file for anyone who dare to 3D print one.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.