Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Trivellato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I got it right from the preview, when fighting an alien we are picking a card each combat turn for that alien, having a different HP number from time to time, but keeping damage tokens on him.

What's the point in this strange game mechanic? Why having a variable HP enemy from turn to turn? :\
Maybe could be better having something like Gloomhaven, where you pick different actions/effect from the alien.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Saunders
msg tools
badge

I like the description the user RyuSenshi posted:

RyuSenshi wrote:
Speaking of the xenomorphs, they are, at least in my opinion, really well designed. I love the mix of mechanical and organic elements, they look really intimidating and add a lot to the atmosphere.

Combat is simple, you just roll a dice and deal damage to the xenomorph (or just miss like i did xD)
The interesting part is the life count of those monsters. Because they dont have one.
If you deal damage to them, you reveal a card from a separate deck (which also tells which attack they use when they attack)and look up a health number at the top. If the damage, the monster already took, equals or exceeds the cards number, it dies.
Wounds dealt to the monster stay, they can heal on some occasions but its not like Arkham Horror, where you have to kill them in one attack.
But if it does not die the first time, it may not die the second time.

Example: You deal 2 Damage but the card revealed shows a 3, so you missed by one. The next time, you deal another 1 point of damage, the wound count is 3 but the new cards maybe shows a 4 or 5 and it still does not die.

Seems like a lot of rng but the highest number is 6 i think and its not that common. At least in our play experience, the system seemed balanced and added really good to the immersion. You were never sure if you could kill those creepy things. As you see, you are not supposed to go through this spaceship like rambo. The Aliens are real threats and running is often the best choice. One of my friends learned this the hard way, as he got cut from the group and was obliterated as he went out of ammo.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27292546#27292546

hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a certain confidence when you, as a player, possess absolutes that your character wouldn't.

Always knowing the health of an enemy creates tactical choice but that lacks any real horror experience. If you know that the enemy had 1HP left, you would easily determine that the best (tactical) course of action is to attack so you can kill it.

On the other hand, dealing with the unknown creates a much higher level of risk. Will this attack kill it? Will any attack kill it? Dealing with less absolutes might make you a little gun-shy which is likely the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I mean, it kinda is thematic don't you think? Those are alien life forms after all, you just encountered them. You really don't know how hard to kill they are, their weak points etc. And you never can't be sure, okay, this one seems like easy to finish, it can still surprise you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of it as hit-points. Think of it as the odds of you getting a lucky hit that kills the alien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojtas
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Anachron

After all explanations of other users I have to ask: is everything clear now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Trivellato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vojtasass wrote:
@Anachron

yep indeed, I got the point now, even if after drafting some cards (I think the deck will be limited to a low number for each species) we can almost predict our killing odds. But thanks for the explanation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anachron wrote:
vojtasass wrote:
@Anachron

yep indeed, I got the point now, even if after drafting some cards (I think the deck will be limited to a low number for each species) we can almost predict our killing odds. But thanks for the explanation!

Whick I find kind of themathic, too. After killing a few of the critters you are more likely to gauge how hard to kill they really are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read this thread and, frankly, this is BRILLIANT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you look at it from an unknown fear of what the alien "could" be capable of taking in damage as you creep around, then yeah, it's good. But if you are in combat and deal decent damage to it then pull a card that has less HP and it drops round 1, then aliens don't seem so scary anymore. I'll need to see some combats and the cards that represent the aliens to see if easy kills could be a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
basically like a "soft cap" where the hp is not fixed value BUT
any and all damage you did on the intruder is culmulative.

So any previous damage done will make your odds of beating him "easier" to reach the killing threshold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.