Harry Angel
msg tools
mbmbmb
When a player gain a trade token, can he/she spend that token on the same turn?

e.g.
1. When you gain trade tokens on your economic card "currency" (two caravans) with first caravan by sending it to a rival city, and then can you use one/two of these tokens to increase the movement of your second caravan?

2. When you earn trade tokens through attacking rival capital city with your first (of two/three) attack. Can you use them to buff up your second attack?

3.When Teddy Roosevelt get a natural wonder token with his cultural focus card, by placing a control token there, according to his ability can he use that gained token (acting like trade token) to place an additional control token on the map this turn?

My assumption on these questions is: Yes. I play it that way.
What do you guys/gals think?

(Gosh, i hope you will understand me )

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Homps
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i'd say:
1/ No
2/ Yes
3/ No

the reason being, for 1 and 3, you spend the token when you resolve the card. In those cases, you have already done so.

For 2, you spend the token when you resolve the attack, slightly different there.

Potentially, you could, if you had capitalism, put the token you gain on the first case on another card, and use that token when you resolve that card for free.

Makes sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Angel
msg tools
mbmbmb
For 2.... your second attack is also part of the resolving of the card, like your second(third) caravan, right?
Or you mean in case 1. and 3. the resolving is executed simultaneously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to this is any wording with how Trade Tokens are placed on the cards. If the rules say "immediately" in regards to placing the Trade Tokens, that's generally a clue that it interrupts the current action and can be used by any secondary actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes. You are resolving for each individual caravan.

2. Yes. You are resolving for each individual attack.

3. If you have not yet resolved the 2nd part of say, Civil Service, then yes, for the 2nd part. However, no, for the 1st part of that card because you have already resolved it.

Holybinch, I will argue that you have not resolved combat until the total tally is counted. The use of trade tokens is part of the process of combat and not after resolving combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouya Ostadpour
Iran
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sikuma wrote:
When a player gain a trade token, can he/she spend that token on the same turn?

e.g.
1. When you gain trade tokens on your economic card "currency" (two caravans) with first caravan by sending it to a rival city, and then can you use one/two of these tokens to increase the movement of your second caravan?

2. When you earn trade tokens through attacking rival capital city with your first (of two/three) attack. Can you use them to buff up your second attack?

3.When Teddy Roosevelt get a natural wonder token with his cultural focus card, by placing a control token there, according to his ability can he use that gained token (acting like trade token) to place an additional control token on the map this turn?

My assumption on these questions is: Yes. I play it that way.
What do you guys/gals think?

(Gosh, i hope you will understand me )

Regards

Hi,

I'd say ...

1) No, because you should use your tokens when resolving a focus card (citing page 13). It means that if, for example, you have a trade token on an Economy card, you should use that when you resolve that card, therefore adding to your caravan movement. We could argue all day that resolving is a process here not a single action, but I assume that resolving an Industry card means that you put any number of your caravans you like to move on the desired possible hex on the map ("as though [they were] already in that [spot]")(p8) and they are ready to go. Using trade tokens would increase their movement from that moment. For example they all can now move 3+1= 4 spaces. It's not like Oh now I have one more token so I move one more; That way, it's not at the same time as resolving the Industry card, but after. I don't agree that we're resolving for each caravan separately. We're resolving the movement for the caravans at the same time, but move them one at a time, so they can't both, for instance, visit a same city-state. But the movement speed has been set beforehand.

2) Yes! Because the situation is different here. Firstly, tokens are spend "after determining combat value cards" (p11.) So it's contradicting the part "when you resolve the card", or, as I understand it, resolving Military cards are done differently. It's said in p13 that trade tokens increases combat value "by one during that attack." So each battle counts separately from others. You may attack again or not, you may have used your tokens or not. It would be awkward to differentiate between tokens you had and the ones you got this turn after the attack(s) to use in your possible next attempts.

3) Actually yes. Because resolving the Culture card has two parts. Tokens are used in the second part, and Roosevelt helps you get Natural Wonder tokens before that, so I see no inconvenience in using that token to put control tokens on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.