Hide
18 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Inventory limit and Chem Addiction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Rogers
msg tools
If a character should have the Addicted Trait. Can they exceed the standard inventory limit if they should pick up other drugs?

"If you are Addicted,You can not discard this card..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that you would be forced to discard a different non-drug card. As far as if your entire inventory is drugs, I don't know. I don't have the rulebook in front of me at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can pick something up but would be forced to immediately discard it again, which could give you an items discard effect. This is one way to cure your addiction.

You could shop for the lab coat to make drugs not go toward your inventory limit also, that would make more room in your inventory.

Edit: I see your question now, can you exceed inventory limit with several drug items? Alright, this is a little tricky. Rulebook says you cannot exceed carrying limit, but the card says you cannot discard, right? Well, what has priority? Cards usually have priority over rulebooks in most games, FFGs games included.

Rules Reference, p2, Foundational rules: wrote:
If the rules text of a card contradicts information from the Rules Reference, the card's rules text takes precedence.

Nice find!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems reasonable. But then by that same logic you would not discard your drug items when you died, either. That could be exactly what they intended, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
That seems reasonable. But then by that same logic you would not discard your drug items when you died, either. That could be exactly what they intended, of course.

Doesn't death clear the Addicted trait though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cthompsonguy wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. Where are you getting that from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
cthompsonguy wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. Where are you getting that from?

I don't have the rulebook in front of me, just guessing here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rules as written don't say anything about losing traits when you die.

I do think rules for addiction are a bit too tough though as there are so few ways to get rid of it. It makes sense in real life, but not in playing a game for fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Clearing addiction on death is a decent house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Yeung
msg tools
mb
A horrifying thought; if you are addicted and have three drugs in your inventory, you can't use Addictol because you'd be forced to discard it as soon as you get it, at least if I'm understanding the inventory rules correctly.

A decent house rule is to allow the use of items immediately upon obtaining them. There's no reason why I would leave behind a stimpak I desperately need right now versus using it on the spot, just because I need to carry all of my drugs away from where I found it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venescas wrote:
A horrifying thought; if you are addicted and have three drugs in your inventory, you can't use Addictol because you'd be forced to discard it as soon as you get it, at least if I'm understanding the inventory rules correctly.

You're understanding the inventory rules, but you're glazing over the Addictol card itself. Its effect occurs when you discard it. So yes, you have to discard it, but when you discard it you trigger its effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I missed that part of Addictol myself for too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauri Huovila
Finland
flag msg tools
Smoo wrote:

You're understanding the inventory rules, but you're glazing over the Addictol card itself. Its effect occurs when you discard it. So yes, you have to discard it, but when you discard it you trigger its effect.

Are you sure cards effects occur when you are forced to discard cards? For example
Rules Reference, p. 12: Shopping wrote:

Sell: The survivor discards an equipped card or card from his or her inventory to gain caps

Does discarding effects fire when I sell (and discard) that card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ipikles wrote:

That's a fair question, and it's come up before. I believe the consensus was that if you have to discard the card to gain something else (like caps in this case) then it shouldn't trigger, but that if you just have to discard it for game rules (like inventory limit or death) then you can trigger its power. But that's not supported by any rule, just by "what feels right".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Schwendemann
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
Ipikles wrote:

That's a fair question, and it's come up before. I believe the consensus was that if you have to discard the card to gain something else (like caps in this case) then it shouldn't trigger, but that if you just have to discard it for game rules (like inventory limit or death) then you can trigger its power. But that's not supported by any rule, just by "what feels right".

Oddly enough, what feels right to me is that, in order to gain the benefit of an item, you need to discard it from your inventory as a choice rather than as a rule based effect.

Like if you want to use a stimpak (or addictol), and gain the benefit of them, you would then be left with only 2 items in your inventory.

On another note, I can't find anything that says you would keep your drugs in your inventory when you die, so that would be a way to empty your inventory and then get rid of addicted with addictol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwade wrote:
Oddly enough, what feels right to me is that, in order to gain the benefit of an item, you need to discard it from your inventory as a choice rather than as a rule based effect.

I can see how that feels right from a "game" perspective, but there's no way it can feel right from a thematic perspective.

You find a stimpak, but your pack is too full to carry it. There's no thematic reason why you couldn't just use it there on the spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:

Caps are exclusively mentioned in rulebook. Rulebook says that when you draw event you resolve it immediately. Stash of Caps card is an event.

Following rules straight I would rather say that survivor can trigger effects only from theirs equipment. Rulebook says that survivor "can have up to three items in inventory at one time". Every thing else is "in excess". And items can be used only "from survivor inventory".
So if survivor gains forth piece of equipment and cannot put it inventory it is discarded by game effect not by player choice.

If discard of fourth item would trigger effect, the rules for events like card with caps would not be necessary.

Edit
So if survivor is addicted and has 3 drugs in inventory they does not have much choice.

Edit2
I've sent rule clarification request to FFG. If I get response I'll post it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have at it. I continue to think it's thematically ridiculous that you couldn't use a consumable item on the spot rather then just having to leave it in place, unconsumed, but play the game however you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.