Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Azul - How many plays make a game good value? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janette Lynch
msg tools
So I'm thinking of buying Azul for my family 2ad 2ch, however it is around €62 which would be the most I've ever spent on a single game - nearly double that of the next dearest in fact.
I realise a lot of people on here spend quite a bit on single games but we seem to get the most play out of our €10 card games. I know that I could get 6 card games for the same price but was wondering specifically about this game - it's so darn pretty!
So I was wondering if any of you thought Azul was good value for money and in effect how many times do you generally play a game to consider it good value because of what you paid for it?
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azul seems like the kind of game a family like yours would enjoy for a while. If you play games multiple times and don't make many purchases outside of the 10-15 range, this might be a good one to take a stretch on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janette Lynch
msg tools
Arydis4 wrote:
Azul seems like the kind of game a family like yours would enjoy for a while. If you play games multiple times and don't make many purchases outside of the 10-15 range, this might be a good one to take a stretch on.

Well Bärenpark was the most expensive purchase so far at €35 from 'Santa' and it's absolutely loved by the kids. We've played it 10 times since Xmas and would expect to play it another 30/40 times at least before the next birthday set of games come along in April. At the same time we got Cockroach Poker for €10 and will play it probably 100 times this year as we did with Mamma Mia! and Frank's Zoo last year.
So we get great play out of card games and some of our board games can be similar hits, just wondering about the longevity and replay-ability of Azul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well its still kind of new, maybe look around and see if there is a FLGS or other board gamers near you that would give you a chance to try it out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Realize that the game Azul is very easy to make all on your own. None of the components are so specific that they can't be substituted, if not upgraded, by your own parts.

I'm pretty sure there are a few threads where people have made, and posted pictures, of their home brew sets.

You could literally just print out paper that serves as the board. It won't be as durable, but you can make as many as you want. For the pieces you just need 5 (I think it's 5) different items to use as tiles. Could be something as simple as coins, colored game markers, colored meeples, cubes, micro machines, whatever.

Azul is a great game. We get a lot of use out of it. But I will say that it's not a very social game. By that I mean, if four of us sit down to play it we're generally quiet most of the game. Wherereas a game like Kill Doctor Lucky, Ethnos, or Sheriff of Nottingham has us all laughing. For my family get togethers Sheriff of Nottingham canbot be beat. Period.

Anyway, make your own version of Azul. If you find it doesn't overstay it;s welcome you can buy a commercial copy of the game if your own doesn't suffice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janette Lynch
msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
well its still kind of new, maybe look around and see if there is a FLGS or other board gamers near you that would give you a chance to try it out?

Sound idea but I live over an hour away from any game store and nobody is stocking this game in Ireland that I can find, so stuck with Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janette Lynch
msg tools
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Realize that the game Azul is very easy to make all on your own. None of the components are so specific that they can't be substituted, if not upgraded, by your own parts.

I'm pretty sure there are a few threads where people have made, and posted pictures, of their home brew sets.

You could literally just print out paper that serves as the board. It won't be as durable, but you can make as many as you want. For the pieces you just need 5 (I think it's 5) different items to use as tiles. Could be something as simple as coins, colored game markers, colored meeples, cubes, micro machines, whatever.

Azul is a great game. We get a lot of use out of it. But I will say that it's not a very social game. By that I mean, if four of us sit down to play it we're generally quiet most of the game. Wherereas a game like Kill Doctor Lucky, Ethnos, or Sheriff of Nottingham has us all laughing. For my family get togethers Sheriff of Nottingham canbot be beat. Period.

Anyway, make your own version of Azul. If you find it doesn't overstay it;s welcome you can buy a commercial copy of the game if your own doesn't suffice.

We are ok with having some games that aren't very social - the kids like the puzzle aspect of Karuba and Bärenpark for example

I like the idea of a diy version though thanks for the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All about family wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

Sound idea but I live over an hour away from any game store and nobody is stocking this game in Ireland that I can find, so stuck with Amazon.

It seems to fit into Amazon's wheelhouse for putting it on sale, so you might just need some patience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a comparison, here's how I evaluate the value of a game (that is only my personal system):

EPIC Purchase! (Less than 1$ per hour!)
Awesome Purchase! (Less than 2$ per hour!)
Great Purchase! (Less than 4$ per hour!)
Good Purchase! (Less than 6$ per hour!)

Every games I buy must be able to qualify at the very least for a "Good Purchase", so less than 6$ per hour (by game hour for the whole group, not by people playing it), or I simply don't by it. So the question I always ask myself is this (taking Azul as exemple, since it's what you are currently eyeballing): Can I play this game to at least reach my 6$ (or 6€ in your case) per hour mark, or, ideally, way better?

To achieve this with Azul, roughly a 30 minutes game, and at the cost you can buy it (62€) here is how I would need to play it:

124x to reach EPIC Purchase! (Less than 1€ per hour!)
62x to reach Awesome Purchase! (Less than 2€ per hour!)
31x to reach Great Purchase! (Less than 4€ per hour!)
21x to reach Good Purchase! (Less than 6€ per hour!)

So for YOU, this game at this specific price would be too expansive. I usually try to target games that I can reach an "EPIC purchase" status within 60 plays (less or more depending on how much I know or doubt on the game replayability over time).

But as a comparison, here in Canada, I can get the game for 43$CAD. So it would give me this:

86x to reach EPIC Purchase! (Less than 1$ per hour!)
43x to reach Awesome Purchase! (Less than 2$ per hour!)
22x to reach Great Purchase! (Less than 4$ per hour!)
15x to reach Good Purchase! (Less than 6$ per hour!)

So all this just to share my value-evaluation system in hope that it can help you to better judge value by yourself, but in the end, it's your call. I ended up not buying Azul despite the fact that it look great and that the game is probably solid, just because it's maybe too mean to play with my wife (my main playing partner). So, for me, if the game is not playable with my wife, it really need to be super cheap to justify its purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sobhi Youssef
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game will surely be reprinted ad infinitum. Just wait 1-2 months and that price will drop to 30% below msrp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All about family wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

The game is currently pretty much sold out and there are just a few copies floating around here in Europe as far as I know, so those that are still around go for somewhat crazy prices. From what I've seen most shops expect it back in stores in around 2-3 months, so you might want to wait on that, preorder prices here are currently more in the 32-35 € range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janette Lynch
msg tools
Cerberus777 wrote:
As a comparison, here's how I evaluate the value of a game (that is only my personal system):

EPIC Purchase! (Less than 1$ per hour!)
Awesome Purchase! (Less than 2$ per hour!)
Great Purchase! (Less than 4$ per hour!)
Good Purchase! (Less than 6$ per hour!)

Every games I buy must be able to qualify at the very least for a "Good Purchase", so less than 6$ per hour (by game hour for the whole group, not by people playing it), or I simply don't by it. So the question I always ask myself is this (taking Azul as exemple, since it's what you are currently eyeballing): Can I play this game to at least reach my 6$ (or 6€ in your case) per hour mark, or, ideally, way better?

To achieve this with Azul, roughly a 30 minutes game, and at the cost you can buy it (62€) here is how I would need to play it:

124x to reach EPIC Purchase! (Less than 1€ per hour!)
62x to reach Awesome Purchase! (Less than 2€ per hour!)
31x to reach Great Purchase! (Less than 4€ per hour!)
21x to reach Good Purchase! (Less than 6€ per hour!)

So for YOU, this game at this specific price would be too expansive. I usually try to target games that I can reach an "EPIC purchase" status within 60 plays (less or more depending on how much I know or doubt on the game replayability over time).

But as a comparison, here in Canada, I can get the game for 43$CAD. So it would give me this:

86x to reach EPIC Purchase! (Less than 1$ per hour!)
43x to reach Awesome Purchase! (Less than 2$ per hour!)
22x to reach Great Purchase! (Less than 4$ per hour!)
15x to reach Good Purchase! (Less than 6$ per hour!)

So all this just to share my value-evaluation system in hope that it can help you to better judge value by yourself, but in the end, it's your call. I ended up not buying Azul despite the fact that it look great and that the game is probably solid, just because it's maybe too mean to play with my wife (my main playing partner). So, for me, if the game is not playable with my wife, it really need to be super cheap to justify its purchase.

Wow comprehensive response thank you for taking the time. I think at the current price it is way to expensive for us. I'm hoping it comes down to a more reasonable price and then maybe I will reconsider.
Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janette Lynch
msg tools
Looks like I should be waiting for the price to come down before I purchase, it keeps selling out on Amazon.co.uk at that price so didn't think it would ever come down but I will hold out hope! Many thanks for taking the time to respond folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a very tactile and fun game, with some very different results to differing strategies.
We received a copy via BGG Secret Santa. Played several times now with family and gaming group.
It has been enjoyed by all. The free-form tiling option brings another dimension to the game.

I would recommend whole-heartedly for young and old, takes ten around ten minutes to explain.

Price wise, shop around. Amazon does appear very dear. I have seen it for £31 in the UK add postage and you are way under E62. Try Gameslore or Spirit Games. You can call them with any query even regards postage. Both are excellent at mail order and offer discounts to boot on larger orders. Get the birthday games while you are at it and save.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
One play can be a pretty good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Azul is in between print runs at the moment. If you can "afford" to be patient, maybe the price will come down a bit. I don't know where you buy your games from, but it's horribly overpriced at the moment, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:

Man, you gotta spend a little more time researching your games before you buy 'em. I feel sorry for you if you consider it a success to get one good play out of a purchase. Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think that $10 a play is pretty good and $5 or less per play is ideal, but I won't pay more than retail for a game just because it's hot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Murphy
Ireland
flag msg tools
I would definitely wait a couple of weeks, it will come back in stock. You should be able to get it from some online retailers in the UK shipped to Ireland for around €40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All about family wrote:
Looks like I should be waiting for the price to come down before I purchase, it keeps selling out on Amazon.co.uk at that price so didn't think it would ever come down but I will hold out hope! Many thanks for taking the time to respond folks.

The website camelcamelcamel tracks Amazon prices. Just search the item or copy/paste the Amazon url into the camel search bar. It’ll show price history and, if you register, will email you when the price drops to a value you decide, ie set it to €35 or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Maddest Hatter wrote:
mi_de wrote:

Man, you gotta spend a little more time researching your games before you buy 'em. I feel sorry for you if you consider it a success to get one good play out of a purchase. Lol

Don't. I know what I am getting. If I get one full play from Empires in Arms, I'll be happy with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
Maddest Hatter wrote:
mi_de wrote:

Don't. I know what I am getting. If I get one full play from Empires in Arms, I'll be happy with that.

Lol! Well, when you make it that specific then it obviously changes things. That game is a far cry from the OP's game "Azul".

But generally speaking, I usually need to get at least 5 plays out of a game to feel it was at least worth the mistake of buying it.

I'm not a hoarder. I probably sell half of my games. Not because they're not good, but because I'll never get em back to the table in spite of how much I enjoy them. Sometimes too long. Not the right playgroup. Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree VERY strongly with other posters--62 Euro is WAY overpriced for Azul.

Recommend Tichu as one of the best card games ever, if you can get four players. Might be a bit of a stretch for kids, but they'll pick it up. Should be a much more reasonable 10-15 Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janette Lynch
msg tools
Thanks for the input folks, it's back out of stock again on Amazon so I think I'll wait a couple of months for it to drop in price. It does seem like a lot of money for the game at the minute. Hopefully it will come back down closer to €40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janette Lynch
msg tools
VanVeen wrote:
Agree VERY strongly with other posters--62 Euro is WAY overpriced for Azul.

Recommend Tichu as one of the best card games ever, if you can get four players. Might be a bit of a stretch for kids, but they'll pick it up. Should be a much more reasonable 10-15 Euro.

Have heard of Tichu, will look it up properly. Agreed on Azul, it's too expensive, for me anyway. We do get great value from card games play wise so until Azul comes down I'll just look at the pretty pictures of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.