18 Posts

The Gallerist» Forums » Rules

Subject: A question about acquiring masterpieces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
So I just tried my first solo play last night and I found myself stuck at the point where I achieved getting an artist to the celebrity status.

I had one of his works in my gallery and had sold another one (the commissioned one).

So how then does one get a masterpiece from this artist in one’s gallery?

Can I move the existing one in my Gallery to the masterpiece slot, thereby overriding the fill from the left rule?

Because once they become a celebrity one cannot purchase any art from that artist, unless you have a comission with that artist.

So my current understanding is that if you want to have a masterpiece in your gallery, you must own it or have a commission with that artist before they become a celebrity.

And if you can move an existing piece of art from a leftward slot to the masterpiece slot when the artist becomes a celebrity, then really the only way to place a masterpiece in your gallery is to hold a comission for an artist before they become a celebrity.

But this seems too restrictive and so I feel like I missed something in the rules. So I re-read them again after my game and I see nothing in there about rearranging artwork in your gallery if one of the pieces already in your gallery becomes a masterpiece.

So I am hoping someone with more experience can help me to understand how the mechanics of this are supposed to work in-game.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel A Fernandez Rico
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you increase the reputation of an artist, you move the signal according if you had aquired one piece of art from him. Ive always asumed that if you move someone to celebrity status, you just move the piece to show you have a masterpiece from him, and yeah it could ocupate the last spot on your gallery. But I may be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Girard
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 14 of the rulebook, in the Fame and Celebrity Status section, it says:

Quote:
Players with at least one Masterpiece in their
Gallery are allowed to use the 4th slot. This
additional slot is only available as long as the
Player still has a Masterpiece in his Gallery.

Which I interpret as the 4th slot is unlocked if you have a masterpiece, not that only the 4th slot can contain a masterpiece.

Either way, I don't think moving pieces around would break anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Hi and thanks.

I completely understand moving the value marker, and I believe I understand your thought on how to view that.

But my question(s) all stem from the gallery and moving art in the gallery itself.

There is nothing I can find, in the 2017 English rules, that:

A) exempts the masterpiece slot from any of the standard placement rules, except that a masterpiece only can be placed there.

B) that allows you to rearrange an existing piece of art already in your gallery from its current spot to the masterpiece slot when the artist becomes a celebrity.

Since I cannot find these, I am left to ponder the following:

If you have all 4 slots in your gallery full, and you sell one of the regular pieces of art, you are supposed to move “all” of the art in your gallery to the left. There is nothing that specifically states that the masterpiece slot is exempt from this movement requirement.

Likewise, since you have to always fill from the left, there is nothing that specifically states that when a artist reaches celebrity status, and you have a piece of their art in your gallery you may (must?) move that piece of art immediatelty to the masterpiece slot, moving any remaing art in the regular slots to the left per the standard rule.

Both of the above seem to be reasonable, and in keeping with what the themes and idea of the game is, but again there is no specific text stating these special conditions/options for the Masterpiece slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
CptAwesomer wrote:
On page 14 of the rulebook, in the Fame and Celebrity Status section, it says:

Quote:
Players with at least one Masterpiece in their
Gallery are allowed to use the 4th slot. This
additional slot is only available as long as the
Player still has a Masterpiece in his Gallery.

Which I interpret as the 4th slot is unlocked if you have a masterpiece, not that only the 4th slot can contain a masterpiece.

Either way, I don't think moving pieces around would break anything :)

I agree. But unlocking it does not:

A) indicate that you can place a “now-masterpiece” already in your gallery into this slot.

B) that this unlocked slot is not subject to the shift to the left when selling rule.

I disagree that this does not change the game in the following sense:

If it were to be explained that you cannot move artwork around within your gallery, then the only way to then get a Masterpiece into the unlocked slot would be to have a comission on the celebrity. There would be no other way to acquire a masterpiece for the slot. This would really cramp the use of the comission slot because you would have to lock it in and focus on promoting that artist to celebrity to be able to buy a masterpiece and then place it in the unlocked slot. But who am I to say that this isn’t supposed to be a part of the design? It would certainly make obtaining a masterpiece much more difficult and really focus a player on promoting a artist upon whom they have a commission. So I could see that making sense as well.

It all hinges upon the two points I wrote above.

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like you're overthinking it. The placement restrictions on the art are set to facilitate getting the reward for having a third artwork in your gallery, and to make sure you don't have a fourth unless you have a masterpiece. I think any other moving around is inconsequential. I agree, if you play with the restrictions you pointed out, the fourth slot would hardly be useful.

I'll echo the above poster, the masterpiece unlocks the fourth slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
Sounds to me like you're overthinking it. The placement restrictions on the art are set to facilitate getting the reward for having a third artwork in your gallery, and to make sure you don't have a fourth unless you have a masterpiece. I think any other moving around is inconsequential. I agree, if you play with the restrictions you pointed out, the fourth slot would hardly be useful.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole "fill from the left" rule is just to assure that you don't obtain your bonus tile until you own 3 works of art simultaneously.

Other than that, the location of your works of art has no meaning or purpose. You normally can only own 3 at a time, but if you own at least one masterpiece, you may own 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Girard
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come to think of it, how would you even have a commission for an artist from which you already have a Masterpiece? You cannot buy an extra work of art from an artist if you have a commission, you must use the commission:

Page 7, Buy and Exhibit a work of art
Quote:
A Player who discovers an
Artist and has a Signature
token representing the
commission may not buy
another Work of Art from that
Artist until they have bought
the commissioned work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
jdw734 wrote:

I am often guilty of overthinking things. And I suspected this is exactly what I was doing - but I wanted confirmation from community.

Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
newrev wrote:
jdw734 wrote:

This.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I can get 3 Masterpieces from the same artist is to make sure the Renowned Work of Art is the same media type as the artist you are trying to promote to Celebrity status.

I keep buying and selling art until they get close to celebrity status and either make sure my last purchase makes them a celebrity while I hold 2 works of art from that artist or I promote them to celebrity status while holding 2 works of art from them. I also make sure that I will win the Auction at the end of the game to have 3 Masterpieces and 2 other works of art in my gallery to finish my Curator. Having 5 total works of art at the end of the game.

With regards to the 4th slot it can only be occupied by a Masterpiece. It isn't just unlocked for any use. A masterpiece can be placed there if there are 4 works of art. Or if you have already taken your 3rd slot placement bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
CptAwesomer wrote:
Come to think of it, how would you even have a commission for an artist from which you already have a Masterpiece? You cannot buy an extra work of art from an artist if you have a commission, you must use the commission:

Page 7, Buy and Exhibit a work of art
Quote:
A Player who discovers an
Artist and has a Signature
token representing the
commission may not buy
another Work of Art from that
Artist until they have bought
the commissioned work.

Excellent point. Thanks. I know I am missing things with only one solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Cabralicus wrote:

With regards to the 4th slot it can only be occupied by a Masterpiece. It isn't just unlocked for any use. A masterpiece can be placed there if there are 4 works of art. Or if you have already taken your 3rd slot placement bonus.

Is this correct?

If I only have 2 pieces of regular art and 1 masterpiece (total of 3) then I cannot put the masterpiece in the masterpiece slot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:
Cabralicus wrote:

Is this correct?

If I only have 2 pieces of regular art and 1 masterpiece (total of 3) then I cannot put the masterpiece in the masterpiece slot?

In order to display four pieces in your gallery, at least one must be a masterpiece. If you have no masterpieces in your gallery, you can not display four pieces, no matter if you used to have one or not.

Your question is really inconsequential, if you want to arrange your pieces that way, sure, knock yourself out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks.

i don't know why I am so hung up on the placement in the gallery.

Hopefully with more plays this will wear off.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:
Cabralicus wrote:

Is this correct?

Sure you can place a Masterpiece directly in the 4th slot if you wish, but I'd don't really see a reason unless as a reminder to you that it is a Masterpiece. I sometimes put a Masterpiece directly in the 4th slot after I claim the 3rd slot placement bonus earlier in the game. Otherwise you are doing yourself a disservice of not gaining the bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cabralicus wrote:
Major SNAFU wrote:
Cabralicus wrote:

Is this correct?

Sure you can place a Masterpiece directly in the 4th slot if you wish, but I'd don't really see a reason unless as a reminder to you that it is a Masterpiece. I sometimes put a Masterpiece directly in the 4th slot after I claim the 3rd slot placement bonus earlier in the game. Otherwise you are doing yourself a disservice of not gaining the bonus.

Also, the fourth spot can hold a non-masterpiece or masterpiece, but it is only unlocked if you have a masterpiece already in your gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.