Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dutchman
Germany
Kleve
flag msg tools
Is it possible to make a ranged attack with range 0 or is this always a melee attack?

Hero Ajax: "The shame of power" Is this realy a active power. Because of the rules.
Active power: a type of power that can only be uses during a unit's activation....
There is only a can. What happend if the active players says he didn't use the active power?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no melee attacks in this game, there are only attacks and the range that they have. Some modifiers may apply to attacks made att range 0 or range 1+ but they are not different other than that.
To answer your question an attack that has range 2 can me made at range 0, 1 or 2.

Nope it's forced, there is no choice here. He must suffer a wound every activation unless he inflicts at least one, also it is not an active power.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutchman77 wrote:
Is it possible to make a ranged attack with range 0 or is this always a melee attack?


There's the "full area rule" from pg 17:

Quote:
A unit with range 0 can only target enemy units in
their own area.

If a target’s area is full, then an adjacent attacker
may choose whether they want to attack it from the
area they are in (requiring range 1), or as if they were
in the target’s own area (range 0). If the attacker
chooses the second option, then all normal rules for
a range 0 attack apply.


There may be powers that allow it too...

Quote:

Hero Ajax: "The shame of power" Is this realy a active power. Because of the rules.
Active power: a type of power that can only be uses during a unit's activation....
There is only a can. What happend if the active players says he didn't use the active power?


A few astute people have been asking this since day one. There are several powers where the wording/timing and whether or not they are mandatory is in question.

This item is in the proposed FAQ question list:

Are powers mandatory? How do we know if a power is mandatory?
Per RB page 24, Powers are Maneuvers and Maneuvers are chosen and paid for by the controlling player. How do we officially identify which of these "Maneuvers" are not a choice and are indeed mandatory.
See Below
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutchman
Germany
Kleve
flag msg tools
The ranged attack question is not about a full field.
For example, the ability of Apollo "Golden Arrows". Can he use it to attack a enemy unit at range 0.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutchman77 wrote:
The ranged attack question is not about a full field.
For example, the ability of Apollo "Golden Arrows". Can he use it to attack a enemy unit at range 0.


Ah, gotcha. So as long as it is not "Range 1+" you can make it at range 0.

Tartarus Cages
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Dutchman77 wrote:
The ranged attack question is not about a full field.
For example, the ability of Apollo "Golden Arrows". Can he use it to attack a enemy unit at range 0.


Ah, gotcha. So as long as it is not "Range 1+" you can make it at range 0.

Tartarus Cages


Yes Range X+ means Range must be at least X.
(This should have been written another way to be crital clear)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Kaping

Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I believe the wording on this is what is important. Ajax power shame of power is only an active power when he activates. AKA if I don't activate ajax then he couldn't have damaged an enemy unit thus he cannot take the shame. If he did activate even just to move, he should have dealt damage thus it is an active power.

I believe that makes sense it is just very precise wording that must be looked at carefully. In fact I think that all of the mandatory vs non mandatory fall into that category?

It is mandatory when the unit activates, it is not when they don't
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jkapingart wrote:
I believe the wording on this is what is important. Ajax power shame of power is only an active power when he activates. AKA if I don't activate ajax then he couldn't have damaged an enemy unit thus he cannot take the shame. If he did activate even just to move, he should have dealt damage thus it is an active power.

I believe that makes sense it is just very precise wording that must be looked at carefully. In fact I think that all of the mandatory vs non mandatory fall into that category?

It is mandatory when the unit activates, it is not when they don't


Makes sense for Active powers...but I think there are some Passive and Permanent powers for which the mandatory vs non mandatory question still exists...

Now that I have all the cards, I need to look through them and see which specific ones are in question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.