Conor Banks
Ireland
Rome
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi to all,

I have recently gotten a hold of this game and I love it to bits!heart

I managed to bring it to the table 3 times already this week. The last game played however turned out to be very frustrating for one of the players.

Towards the end of the game when the other 2 players had already finished their Karesansui, she was drawing, discarding and meditating (in this order) for 6-7 times just hoping to place the perfect tile - which of course did not come out, dragging the game for an extra 15 minutes with very negative vibes! whistle

I immediately "ran" to this forum only to realize no one had experienced this problem - or at least no one considers random tile drafting a real problem, but just a mechanic.

To mitigate the luck of the draw - or should I say the non-lucky of the draw) I would like to propose the following variants during our next game:

Option 1:

During phase 1 Players get to chose whether to draw 2 tiles and chose 1 to place/store/give to opponents/discard (just as usual but with two tiles to chose from) or, alternatively, draw 3 tiles and be forced to place one on their tableau.

Option 2:

During phase 1 players draw 3 tiles and game continues as usual

Option 3:

Stack the draw tiles into 3/4/5 (depending on the numbers of players)face down stacks with the upmost tile visible - there is a variant in Splendor similar to this one I am proposing here.

your thoughts and insights would be really most appreciated as I would love to keep playing this game with my wife but she hates it now due to the randomness of tile drawing.

ciao
Conor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with the option that you could draw up to number of players and keep one, place the others on the table face up.

We found this controlled things and made the game a little more interesting because you might get the prefect tile but leave the perfect one on the table for the other players to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Banks
Ireland
Rome
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This seems pretty interesting as it does not exhaust the tiles too soon. In the options I proposed, the tiles that are not chosen get discarded, and refurbish the general supply once this one runs out of tiles.

What I am afraid of is that, with so many options on display, players may not exchange tiles with other players as much as before, having more likely access to the card they want - giving tiles to the players is a core element of the game as well as the main source of Virtue points.

Will give it a try and thanks for sharing.
Conor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
ConAir wrote:

Towards the end of the game when the other 2 players had already finished their Karesansui, she was drawing, discarding and meditating (in this order) for 6-7 times just hoping to place the perfect tile - which of course did not come out, dragging the game for an extra 15 minutes with very negative vibes! whistle

If I'm not mistaken, the rules state that "once one player completes his garden by placing 15 tiles, Step 1 actions are more limited. You may only store or place tiles. You may not take transfer or discard actions and robbery is no longer allowed."

In your example, she would not be allowed to discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.