Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Dream Islands is a light little card game that has a board with it. Players will take turns moving their people around. The main trick of the game is you have to use all of the movement spots before you can use it again. You will be lining up your meeples so you can score off your cards. Your turn can be totally screwed in directly by what the other players can do.

The game gives you simple options, but you never have full control over your board and how you can score. I am not sure I like a game where I spend my entire turn trying to score a card and you come around and you screw you up. Sigh. Not a great gaming mechanic for me.

The game looks great and it has bright colors. The theme is totally pasted on. I don't know if you ever feel like you are island hopping. This leaves you with an abstract game where people are accidentally keeping you from scoring.

On the flip side, it is light, easy to teach and easy to play. If you can deal with the frustration it may give you at times, it is a light enough game you can chat over it. I cannot see someone caring too much about winning or losing the game.

At the end of the day, I think this is a forgettable game. I wish this theme could be used in more games as it made me give this game a second look. I like the mechanic of moving your guys around but you might not have that movement available. This creates a situation where you really need to plan things out. It feels more crunchy than it is. Nothing is worse than needing to move four to score that perfect card, but you already used and you really didn't need to. Perfect.

I give this one a light recommendation even though it won't be in my collection. If you can get this at a good price, it might be worth checking out. As for me, I have plenty of these little light games and this one just didn't pull me in. Yet, I don't have any thing in my collection that uses these exact mechanics.

Purge.

Components:

The components are good and colorful. The cards of good stock and shuffle well. I think the cards will hold up over the long period. The meeples are common stock. I do like the board and the set up. It is easy to use and read. Everything is perfectly made for this game.

Rule Book:

The rule book is very easy to use. After a single read through I was able to play without any questions. The rules never get in the way of the game play which is great. The book uses full color and pictures to its advantage.

Flow of the Game:

The game is won by the player with the move VP. As you go around the circle (islands), there are islands you can stop on at the end (if you do, you will have less meeples to use) that score you VP. The game ends when a number of meeples are on these islands or someone scores all their VP cards.

Each player gets a small player board that has 2, 3, 4, and 5 on it. You will cover one of these up on your turn and then move that number of spaces (this can be spread over multiple meeples). You cannot use that number again until all of the numbers are used.

You will have a number of scoring cards in your hand. These cards will require you to have your meeples in a certain order. Example: Have 1 maple on three different consecutive islands, or have 4 meeples on the same island (no more, no less).

What you are doing is moving your meeples around the board trying to get them in the same order of the scoring cards in your hand. Meeples only move in clockwise order.

Should I buy this game?:

This game is just for light gamers. It is a mediocre game that I wouldn't recommend too highly. If you are looking to gift a game and the person likes the island theme, then this might be a fun little starter game for them. Gamers are likely not going to play this and then be eager to play it again.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.