Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple Mountain has published a Designer Diary for Tokyo Metro, by designer Jordan Draper.

--------------------

My name is Jordan Draper, I’m a designer and artist from SLC, Utah. I am the designer, artist, and developer for the upcoming Kickstarter game TOKYO METRO.

To find out more about the TOKYO SERIES, visit www.darkflightgames.com or Kickstarter.com/profile/Jordandraper.

The Kickstarter campaign for TOKYO METRO launches tomorrow, January 6th.

Inspiration and Concept

Like all of my designs, the original concept and inspiration is usually sparked from a real life experience and TOKYO METRO was no exception. Having lived in Tokyo for over a year, I loved riding the metro trains there, and more specifically figuring out the fastest routes with transfers.

This is where the initial spark came from, but the game was completely different at conception. It was originally a pick-up/drop-off game. The map however, was very similar, with the idea that you would pick up packages and use only the train lines to find the most efficient way to get from point A to point B. I designed the map as an exact replica of the real Metro map, with the exception of some smaller stations being removed.

Play testing went well, but it suffered from too much down time for players who didn’t always have something to do on their turn. Toward the end of heavy play testing and tweaking, I had the game setup with a day/night cycle where the goal was to leave your home in the morning, pickup as many packages as possible, and make it back before sunset. This idea was inspired by the oxygen timer in Deep Sea Adventure.

At the end of the day though, after a good 6 months of testing and improvements, the game was not up to my standards. Time to start over, but this time not completely.

To read the rest of the designer diary including photos of early prototypes, and actual journal entry pages, visit Meeple Mountain.

http://www.meeplemountain.com/articles/tokyo-metro-designer-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.