Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster Attributes vs Ability cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Korda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Monsters appear to have attributes that are constant like Flying, and abilities that are active only when their ability card indicates they are activated. How do you tell the difference?

Ex.
Skeleton has shield listed in it's attributes, but also has an ability card that indicates "Shield 1, Heal 2".

Does this mean it has shield 1 constantly and gets an additional shield when this ability triggers (total of shield 2), or does it not have a base shield, and only has a shield 1 when the ability triggers?

either way, is there a way to tell from the monster's stat card what attributes are constant and which are only granted by an ability card?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Roaas
Norway
Kongsberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are cumulative.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Korda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If that is the case, then please explain why a Cave Bear has an attribute of "Wound", but also has an ability on one of it's cards that creates wound. To my knowledge, wound is not stacking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
evildisc420 wrote:
Monsters appear to have attributes that are constant like Flying, and abilities that are active only when their ability card indicates they are activated. How do you tell the difference?

Ex.
Skeleton has shield listed in it's attributes, but also has an ability card that indicates "Shield 1, Heal 2".

Does this mean it has shield 1 constantly and gets an additional shield when this ability triggers (total of shield 2), or does it not have a base shield, and only has a shield 1 when the ability triggers?

either way, is there a way to tell from the monster's stat card what attributes are constant and which are only granted by an ability card?


Anything on the monster stat card is constant.

So, if a monster stat card says, shield 1, it ALWAYS has a shield 1.

Then, if you flip an ability card, that is:
Initiative 50
shield 1

The monster gains an extra shield once it activates at initiative 50.

So, if you attack it at initiative 25, it only has 1 shield.
If your ally attacks it at initiative 75, it has 2 shield.

The instant the round is done, the ability card is gone, and it's back to shield 1.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
evildisc420 wrote:
If that is the case, then please explain why a Cave Bear has an attribute of "Wound", but also has an ability on one of it's cards that creates wound. To my knowledge, wound is not stacking.


Possibly because
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Cave Bear doesn't have wound at every level of it's stat card. At lower levels, the wound attack will trigger, at higher levels, it's redundant.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Korda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
evildisc420 wrote:
If that is the case, then please explain why a Cave Bear has an attribute of "Wound", but also has an ability on one of it's cards that creates wound. To my knowledge, wound is not stacking.


Possibly because
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Cave Bear doesn't have wound at every level of it's stat card. At lower levels, the wound attack will trigger, at higher levels, it's redundant.


OK, That definitely helps to clarify.
Thanks for the speedy reply and clear answers everyone.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.