18 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: TI4 Playing as Sardakk N'orr Help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Donaldson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm playing a game of Twilight Imperium 4th Edition tomorrow with 3 others. It'll be my second time playing TI but my first time playing TI4.

The races we have in the game are Sardakk N'orr (myself), The Universities of Jol-Nar, The Emirates of Hacan and The Barony of Letnev.

Does anybody have any up to date strategies guides, tips, tricks, help of any kind for doing well with this race? I can't seem to find any resources anywhere. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Sardakk, your life's purpose is to build and conquer. Your special dreadnought units are incredibly powerful, and your racial ability turns your fighters, destroyers, and infantry into units to be reckoned with. Try to improve your fleet supply in the 2nd or 3rd round so you can put together some powerful attack fleets. If you can get your Exotrireme II upgrade, seed 1 or 2 dreadnoughts in each fleet with the intention to sacrifice them to take out tougher enemies.

Letnev is tough enough to cut you off if you let him, so it may be best to work out a deal where you leave each other alone and go after the others. If Letnev gets super-aggressive, your Exotrireme II is one of the best methods in the game of dealing with Letnev's Non-Euclidean Shielding, but it costs you quite a bit so try to work out some compensation from the Hacan and Jol-Nar players who will need your aid and protection.

While Hacan and Jol-Nar start slower, they can both build up massively by the end of the game. Hacan can be undercut through trade - the table should work together to make sure that all trades with the Hacan favor the other player.

Jol-Nar will be more difficult to stall. In a 4-player game, the tech strategy will surface every round, so the Hylar squids will have all the techs they need by mid game. Your best chance to make a dent is to push into their section of the galaxy early and start grabbing resources. I don't advise grabbing their homeworld - you'll want to be able to make nice once they get their super-teched-up fleets rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erling
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sound advice above here. I'd add that Sardakk N'orr has the greatest power when others back down from fighting you. Your +1 and the upgraded exotrireme in particular really makes you the player nobody really wants to fight, and anything you gain by threat is free from a resource perspective. That means you need to be assertive, but not unfair, and leave people with better options than picking a fight with you. If necessary, set an example, but you'll gain more as a galactic bug-eyed bully than as a warlord. It's easy to see the N'orr and think "I'm good at fighting, so I should fight a lot", but that can really backfire. This advice applies widely to military strategy in TI, in my opinion, but in particular for Sardakk N'orr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badoux Jerome
Switzerland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Focus on objectives. Build a Swarm of fighters and research advanced fighters and carreers.

Don't bother with Exotrireme II except if opponents (especially Jol-Nar) go for WS and Dreadnoughts... in this particular case Exotrireme II becomes good.

Focus on objectives, the planets that you really need to keep and protect hard then build quite some GF (it is easier to defend a planet with GF then with fleet).

For instance if you hold Mercatol Rex and wish to keep it, build about 8 GF and a PDS... with that not much needs for a defense fleet (especially if you have Magen defense grid.

Your best ships are fighters and destroyers... and use you Flagship... in a big fleet your flagship is super powerfull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forsling
Sweden
flag msg tools
The sardak n'orr is a bit of a mixed bag, their racial ability (+1) is best with big swarms of smaller units, as well as the extra +1 from the flagship. But at the same time their racial tech is an upgrade for dreads. I think this might be why sardak n'orr is not considered that good a race.

On the other hand dreadnaught upgrade lies close to carrier 2 which is an upgrade you want if you go for swarms. So basically beginning with fighters and carriers is probably the best and having upgrade dreads for lategame can be good. Dreads are the best answer if someone goes for big capital ship deathballs which barony is likely to go for.

So summary, go for fighters carriers and flagship, get dreads if the opposition goes for a fleet that makes it worth it, I do think that upgraded dreads is likely to be great in this game just because barony is one of your opponents but as always it depends how the game develops.

And remember remember, using your fleet to get objectives is what matters,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Twilight Imperium, Threat of Combat is always more powerful than actual combat. With the Sardakk, you always have a slight advantage over everyone else's fleets, (assuming equal composition) and should press that advantage in your negotiations. Never actually commit to an attack unless it will directly earn you a victory point, or set you up for one next turn, or to defend yourself if you are being targeted by others who wish to prevent you from scoring.

Take as many early planets as you can, so that you have resources to build and maintain fleets to engage in Gunboat Diplomacy with your neighbors. You might think that starting with no technology means you need to acquire as much as possible, but unless a tech objective comes up you don't actually need it. Put those 4 resources into more ships in the early rounds, and when you eventually get to take the Technology strategy card, spend the 6 and jump straight to Gravity Drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin LaFleur
Canada
flag msg tools
hooliganj wrote:
If you can get your Exotrireme II upgrade, seed 1 or 2 dreadnoughts in each fleet with the intention to sacrifice them to take out tougher enemies.

As with the Yin's Devotion, I don't think it's best to plan to use this ability (except in key battles). Talk it up, let people know you can do this, the greatest effect of this ability is making people compensate for its existence.

In particular, two of the factions you're playing against hate this ability. Let the Letnev know if you don't get along their near invincible late game fleet is gone get shredded. Let the Jol'Nar know that their War Suns mean nothing to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aegiscruiser wrote:
hooliganj wrote:
If you can get your Exotrireme II upgrade, seed 1 or 2 dreadnoughts in each fleet with the intention to sacrifice them to take out tougher enemies.

As with the Yin's Devotion, I don't think it's best to plan to use this ability (except in key battles). Talk it up, let people know you can do this, the greatest effect of this ability is making people compensate for its existence.

The greatest tacticians and martial artists of history give the same advice. A feint without intent - a threat you don't plan to use - is easily read and easily ignored.

I'm not saying you have to do it, although you may need to set an example. But you need to be prepared to do it or your opponents will not care, and they'll be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
In Twilight Imperium, Threat of Combat is always more powerful than actual combat.

Indeed. If there are more than 2 players then everyone else beside the combatants will win from a fight they do not participate in. It just mathematically makes their situation better if their neighbors become weaker due to losing a big chunk of their ships. The first to throw the stone should think very carefully if it is worth it.

Very often, players who do not have any major battles (or have a huge one in the last round, often against already weakened opponents) win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dont normally
msg tools
If you are the Sardakk N'orr and the Jol-Nar are in the game, it is your sworn duty to annihilate them as promptly as possible.

This isn't the case if they're too far away of course, but if they are your neighbor you should absolutely beeline for them and ruin their early expansion. In the beginning of the game they are much weaker than you - but they will very quickly become much stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Miguez
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how Kyle's game went.
I just had a 10 hour game with 6 people, 3 of them new to TI. The Learn to Play set up with Promissory Notes added.
I was N'orr, never played them prior. I was seated between Hacan and Sol, not my preferred spot.
I had a hard time expanding with Sol getting up in my grill. I tried to go straight for Exotrireme II after nabbing a blue tech planet. I ended the game with 1VP. I was the only person in a position to threaten Hacan near end game but didn't have troops on hand to take his planets.

We did goof up some rules here and there, but overall I didn't fell super effectual. Hacan got fed early, despite my warnings, and was the favorite to win the entire game. The player is savvy in all of his board games, so I kind of expected it.

Still, despite being the guy who owns TI3 and TI4 and enjoys playing them, I have never won. Trying to figure out what I should have done different. I guess field Destroyers and Cruisers and maybe fighter-carriers and play the numbers game?

Overall, unsure how I should have played to improve my position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your table was feeding Hacan with no restraint, then there probably wasn't much to be done. Money may not bring happiness, but it certainly makes your troubles go away.

Sardakk is usually better off playing the numbers game with their fleets. Having the big dreadnoughts feels nice because they take more damage and are actually likely to hit their target, but there's the rub - they're already likely to hit their target, so your +1 isn't as helpful. They're also slower to build and move around.

Destroyers and cruisers, on the other hand, will zip around the board to make surgical strikes so you can capture exactly the planets you need for VPs. The +1 bonus is a lot more useful on ships that don't already have the odds in their favor, and when you can field 2-4 ships for the cost of 1 dreadnought, that's 2-4 times as many bonuses for each round of combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Miguez
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip. With Letnev across the board, and Hacan going for dreadnouts and flagship, I thought dreadnoughts were my solution to those problems. In retrospect I might have been able to get aggressive a turn or two earlier if I went for the numbers game.

Again, thanks for your advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jone Oma
Norway
flag msg tools
To continue the discussion in to a more general Sardakk N'orr strategy.

So getting lots of cheap stuff seems to be the good way of leveraging their racial ability.

Which leads one to think that fighters are the beez kneez. But aren't they still just worse than Naalu fighters?

So, in a strictly playing to win idea of playing, why would you pick Sardakk N'orr over Naalu?

So I'm thinking that you have to do something different with Sardakk if you want to play them to their strenghts. Are focusing on Destroyer 2s a better idea? That requires two red techs tho, which in and of it self isn't too bad, but you are not really using those red techs for anything other than getting destroyers if you are going that way. Sure, plasma scoring helps bombardment when dreadnaughts get to the table, but outside of that, I don't see much use for it.

Having destroyer 2s that really destroy fighter screens will help for your exotrireme 2s tho, making sure that you will really destroy those harder to hit warsuns/flagships/dreadnaughts. But then we are talking 2 additional blues and a yellow. Thats 5 techs, how are you getting those?

Or, are we just saying that all of your strategy is dependent on whatever planet with a tech spec is in your home slice? If you have a red, go for destroyer 2s, if you have a blue/yellow, get exotrireme 2? Is there a green one, get fighter 2, even tho you should have picked Naalu at character select screen?

I have a hard time understanding what you are supposed to do with Sardakk, especially when it comes to tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Master
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Ffg for some reason keeps finding a way to make the sardakk sub par race. It boggles the mind. Ti4 has the best version of them to-date but giving them no tech to start relegates them to a second tier race. Far from the best if you want to win, since the game rewards tech, defensible home systems, movement, timing, trade, espionage... Stuff sardakk is not that great at.

All that said there was some good advice on this thread especially regarding not fighting but bullying with your early game unit strength advantage.

More specifically, sardakk is playable if you are quite good at the game and make very disciplined use of your command tokens. Don't waste them, consider not getting tech secondary at first (also to save resources), and use an efficient approach to grab up the very best planets in your path and hold them. Your initial carriers should each take a path to get good planets. Build destroyers to catch up to them and litter space with your forces and threatening swarms. Keep your fleet supply high and don't waste actions taking lone planets you don't need. Take the best path and force others out of your way through intimidation. dont hang back and build slow carriers and fighters (which are vulnerable to barrage anyway). Build destroyers and cruisers and let your one movement carriers carry your ground forces slowly and methodically. In the later game, you can take tech and get a few essential techs. Be opportunist about which tech path you take.

You may not win because you're predictable but you may be able to take and hold mecatol if your early fleet buildup is simply too intimidating. And you can bully a neighbor while taking more than your share of territory, in truth you don't want to waste tokens fighting a war but your neighbors won't know that necessarily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hendry
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
eumaies wrote:
Ffg for some reason keeps finding a way to make the sardakk sub par race. It boggles the mind. Ti4 has the best version of them to-date but giving them no tech to start relegates them to a second tier race. Far from the best if you want to win, since the game rewards tech, defensible home systems, movement, timing, trade, espionage... Stuff sardakk is not that great at.

All that said there was some good advice on this thread especially regarding not fighting but bullying with your early game unit strength advantage.

More specifically, sardakk is playable if you are quite good at the game and make very disciplined use of your command tokens. Don't waste them, consider not getting tech secondary at first (also to save resources), and use an efficient approach to grab up the very best planets in your path and hold them. Your initial carriers should each take a path to get good planets. Build destroyers to catch up to them and litter space with your forces and threatening swarms. Keep your fleet supply high and don't waste actions taking lone planets you don't need. Take the best path and force others out of your way through intimidation. dont hang back and build slow carriers and fighters (which are vulnerable to barrage anyway). Build destroyers and cruisers and let your one movement carriers carry your ground forces slowly and methodically. In the later game, you can take tech and get a few essential techs. Be opportunist about which tech path you take.

You may not win because you're predictable but you may be able to take and hold mecatol if your early fleet buildup is simply too intimidating. And you can bully a neighbor while taking more than your share of territory, in truth you don't want to waste tokens fighting a war but your neighbors won't know that necessarily.

I feel that skipping tech is not something I can ever justify with N'Orr: as much as I want those four resources worth of units on turn one, there are too many tech-based objectives to risk missing out on them by falling further behind the rest of the galaxy. Taking Mecatol is great and maybe there's a game where you get loads of points from that and none of the tech objectives hit the board, but it's far too great a risk to take, in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Will be playing with Sardakk N'orr for the first time in week 1 of 2019.
Game with 4 players and a 14 VP.

Will be playing against Clan of Saar, Federation of Sol and the Naalu Collective.

Going to be a tough game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Jeursen
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whipe em out ninja
Especially those Saar

I would even consider destroyer II
You know, just for fun and for a change DD

whistle and who knows.... Maybe go for red once
Plasma scoring, Magen defence grid, valkery particles
one PDs and a few bugs on a planet and watch invasions get massacred ::

The joy, the joy,.....

Might even get lucky with a tech objectif

Anyway Sardakk rules go get em!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.