Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: "Don't forget to rate this 10 when you pre-order" - origin of the phrase? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if I'm bringing up something that's been done to death, but my google-fu has let me down, and I'm hoping someone can clarify.

I keep seeing - in threads about BGG rankings, in discussions elsewhere about Gloomhaven, in Gloomhaven ratings references along the lines of "Don't forget to rate this 10 when you pre-order."

I'm really puzzled though as to where this comes from. I backed the second edition Kickstarter, and don't recall ever getting any message along these lines from Isaac or from any fans of the game. Whenever I try to find an 'origin' for these remarks, I can only find the marks themselves.

Can anyone shed any light - is there a real source for this? or is it just people reacting against an imagined request?

(Edited thread title for clarity)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Don't forget to rate this 10 when you pre-order
It's a silly behavior to rate a game a 10 before you play it. Just like rating it a 1 if you have not played it. It's two sides of a dirty coin that mess up the BGG rating system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
My battery is low and it's getting dark.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an attempt to get Gloomhaven further up in the 1st place position. Personally I see it as pathetic marketing. I will rate the game as I see fit and not how others tell me too. (I did rate it as a 9 though, as it contains may of the aspects I was looking for a game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that's a comment from a BGG user that ranked the game a 1, probably trolling because of the impression that people were ranking it a 10 when they kickstarted it, before ever getting a copy of the game.

I've seen plenty of other KS creators asking their backers to rate the game a 10 before anything ever gets delivered (and in most cases, before it even goes into manufacturing...) but I don't recall this happening anywhere in the Gloomhaven KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mesclor wrote:
Sounds like an attempt to get Gloomhaven further up in the 1st place position. Personally I see it as pathetic marketing. I will rate the game as I see fit and not how others tell me too. (I did rate it as a 9 though, as it contains may of the aspects I was looking for a game.)

An attempt by who though?

my point was that I can see lots of people mocking the request/instruction, but no indication of anyone actually asking it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assure you I've never requested that and I can't imagine Isaac asking that as well. Rate it whatever you like and please play the game before making a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

No one asked for it.
The comment is an attempt at sarcasm.

It's amazing how much people get upset about something as meaningless as the BGG rating/rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörn Mang
Germany
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's just a light-hearted joke about the hype (or I should say enthusiasm) that surrounds Gloomhaven.

I did rate this game 10 before I had it in my physical possession, but not because someone told me to. I played the Kickstarter Campaign on the Tabletop Simulator and was completely convinced with the mechanics of the game. Sure, I hadn't experienced the campaign play or unlockables and might have voted less than 10 based on what I played. But I figured (correctly) that given the information I had about all the stuff I hadn't tried out yet, it'd be a 10 for me once I got the physical copy on my table.

About 20 scenarios in and I stand by my 10 rating, I should even lower other ratings to put this in perspective (I won't though, Twilight Struggle deserves a 10, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care what it's rated, I just want a copy. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:
I believe that's a comment from a BGG user that ranked the game a 1, probably trolling

Mallgur wrote:
The comment is an attempt at sarcasm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Mesclor wrote:

my point was that I can see lots of people mocking the request/instruction, but no indication of anyone actually asking it in the first place.

Lots of people, and no one specific. Many BGG rankings are done by people who have never played that game. Some even say so in the reviews, like "I saw this played at my FLGS, and it looks loads of fun: 10".

Also, people tend to skew their rankings (and product ratings) to "balance"-- did someone rate a game a 1, that I think is an 8? Then I will rate it a 10. Or I'd rate this game a 3, but b/c of the ridiculous amounts of 10's, I'm giving it a 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyric Connell

Ukiah
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen the "Don't forget to rate this a 10 when you pre-order."
It didn't come from anyone involved with the game.
It came from BGG Users who have rated the game a 1 or 2.
Many users will also put make a label of "To balance the fanboy 10's" as their reason to rank a game with a 1 or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trollish behavior. No publisher, designer etc. of any reputation would ever do this. This is snarky individuals who think that the ratings on BGG really mean something in the "real" world.

This goes the same for the people who think that it is necessary to rate things a 1 or 10 for the sake of balance.

What is funny and interesting at the same time are those that when a "change" in top 10 or some game is going to pass a sacred cow suddenly decide to rank the cow a 10 and the up and comer a 1. You just have to laugh about this type of childish behavior. If you don't believe me, look up some of the activity with P:L and Gloomhaven in the past month.

It has happened before and it will happen again.

Soapbox Moment:

If you have played the game enough to provide a review of the game, rate it using the standard formula. A 1 is "not a game" and a 10 is a game that you would play any time. There are very few that fit either category. It is called a bell curve.

Rating before playing it or after playing a portion of one game or ... why? This is like a review after reading the rule book. Don't you have something better that you could be doing? It is all internet noise.

I realize that this will fall on deaf ears as I know gamers who have an inordinate amount of 10's and 1's. I do not believe nor trust their opinions on games. They are somewhat marginal people anyway ... no depth, only know what they read in Facebook or other like "real" internet site.

TL;DR

Do your homework and ignore the ratings. In the scheme of the gaming world they mean nothing.

I bought a game recently that was trashed in review and is rated poorly which is a favorite game of mine from last year. To me those reviewers did not play the game and come to find out ... they really didn't. My perspective on those gamers has changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, why the hurry to rate a game you haven’t fully experienced? What drives you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just curious, why the hurry to rate a game you haven’t fully experienced? What drives you?

I can see lots of reasons. For one, the rating system is meant to be used. Two, it is perfectly fine to have an opinion about a game you've played, positive or negative, even if you have not seen all hidden content, mastered all possible strategies, played at all player counts, and so forth. A full experience can mean many different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider this akin to "don't forget to like and subscribe" at the end of EVERY youtube video (not everyone does this, but many do).

It's also a lot like the screen-filling "Sign up for our newsletter" popup the first time you visit a new web site. Like, I WANT to receive more spam before I've even seen your site and its content? Get real. And where have you hidden the close button on this dialog?

It's nuisance and noise.

And, although we can choose to ignore it, what these folks don't realize is that they are TRAINING US to ignore it, to say No first. Not a behavior they should be encouraging, imho.

P.S.Surely this idea has come up before... RottenTomatoes.com uses a "WANT TO SEE" metric before a film opens. Maybe before a game actually ships, implement a gadget like that instead of the ratings? Just a thought. It may solve nothing the OP brought up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify I had no intention of rating this when I pre-ordered. I've played it 3 times now, and will play it a fair stack more before I get round to rating it (if I ever do).

As I said in the OP, it was mostly curiousity- I'd seen the same phrasing crop up enough times that it looked like it was in response to a specific request, and wanted to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
To clarify I had no intention of rating this when I pre-ordered. I've played it 3 times now, and will play it a fair stack more before I get round to rating it (if I ever do).

As I said in the OP, it was mostly curiousity- I'd seen the same phrasing crop up enough times that it looked like it was in response to a specific request, and wanted to be sure.

Click on the user and view their comments on other "1" rated games and it should all come clear.

Someone has rated all of the following a "1" this month, just yesterday I think ...

7th continent
Anachrony
Azul
Charterstone
Clans of Caledonia
Codenames Duet
Gaia Project
Gloomhaven
Lisboa
Near and Far
Pandemic Legacy Seas 2
Spirit Island
This War of Mine
Too Many Bones
Twilight Imperium 4th Ed

Obviously a well informed and upstanding member of our worldwide community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To people that just see the thread title and don't actually read it, your thread now seems to be the exact thing that you are saying doesn't exist. Could you rename the thread so it doesn't cause more confusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:

Click on the user and view their comments on other "1" rated games and it should all come clear.

Someone has rated all of the following a "1" this month, just yesterday I think ...

7th continent
Anachrony
Azul
Charterstone
Clans of Caledonia
Codenames Duet
Gaia Project
Gloomhaven
Lisboa
Near and Far
Pandemic Legacy Seas 2
Spirit Island
This War of Mine
Too Many Bones
Twilight Imperium 4th Ed

I am sure he has played all of those games several times within the last month or two, hates them all, and would much rather play Monopoly and Phase 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klakak wrote:
NoDicePlease wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:

7th continent
Anachrony
Azul
Charterstone
Clans of Caledonia
Codenames Duet
Gaia Project
Gloomhaven
Lisboa
Near and Far
Pandemic Legacy Seas 2
Spirit Island
This War of Mine
Too Many Bones
Twilight Imperium 4th Ed

I am sure he has played all of those games several times within the last month or two, hates them all, and would much rather play Monopoly and Phase 10.

I could see that happening.

Boardgames are not for everyone, it's a tough world, with shady ppl that gather at their parents basements at night..!

When their parents allow them.

After washing the dishes.

And walk the dog.

And finish homework.

We all know that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwarner34 wrote:
To people that just see the thread title and don't actually read it, your thread now seems to be the exact thing that you are saying doesn't exist. Could you rename the thread so it doesn't cause more confusion?

Done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
There is this person
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/binnet?rating=1&su... => does not like Scythe and all other Stonemaier Games.

There is this person
https://boardgamegeek.com/user/Smjj => 7241 games are rated "1". Lol!

There are many people around here. I vote after a first impression "Do I LIKE to play that game?" and change the rating if my interest in the game changes.

And for sure: Gloomhaven is played only by nerdy nerdy nerdy NERDS. So it has a high rating. Scythe or Terra Mystica are accessed easier also by normal players. This leads to a lower and more "realistic" ranking. And Gloomhaven is/was not available on the market except for the KS. This increases the fact that (almost) only nnnN played and rated it so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
My battery is low and it's getting dark.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Mesclor wrote:

My apologies for misunderstanding your initial request. I had not seen anyone request that, so I did not realize it was something wide spread. I was figuring you meant you placed a preorder on Amazon or some other site and the confirmation page/email made the statement.

As others have stated, i am guessing it was just trolling by users that had seen some of the fake votes to upgrade or downgrade games. This isn't just on Gloomhaven either. I had seen the ratings and comments for many games that people rated one way or the other to offset someone elses rating.

It's why I gave up looking at the overall ratings of games. Shoot in the top 100 list I like less than 10% of them. To each their own. It's just what happens when you ask anonymous people to do anything on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
marcuslind1 wrote:
It's a silly behavior to rate a game a 10 before you play it. Just like rating it a 1 if you have not played it. It's two sides of a dirty coin that mess up the BGG rating system.

Many seem to miss that there are table top simulator scenarios out for years for people to try gloomhaven; and these scenarios were advertised widely, so it might be indeed that many people played gloomhaven before they got their copy and just simply liked what they seen very much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.