Hide
4 Posts

Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Axis + Soviets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Moore
msg tools
I apologize if this is explicitly stated in the rules, but can the Axis and Soviets align themselves? Obviously this isn't historical, as we know the Nazi's broke away and invaded, but is there a rule or has anyone established a house rule where the Axis and Soviets teamed up and perhaps the Allies wooed the Italians into joining?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Spiller
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sic Semper Tyrannis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might say somewhere in the rules that the Soviets cannot declare war on the Western faction and vice versa. Really no point in doing it anyway, what's the fun in a German+Russian stomp of the Western faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Axis and Soviet factions do not specifically align with each other. However, all three factions are enemies to each other so the Soviet faction can move into and attack Western countries and vice-versa. However, there are restrictions for certain countries as listed in 10.3.2 (basically you can't directly attack into France, UK, or USSR).

Even if the Soviet and Western factions aren't actively attacking each other, the fact that the Soviet and Western factions are enemies will matter for such things as EZOC, enemy cites, etc.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
svasta wrote:
all three factions are enemies to each other

There is also an optional rule 21.0 in the C3i supplement (see files section), which allows Soviet and Western factions to win independently.

In that rule the Allies still need to conquer Germany to be eligible for victory. I suppose it could still in theory lead to something of a temporary alliance between Axis and one of the Allies, if the Axis believes it can save itself by that move, and the Allied faction believes it can still conquer Germany in time but gain more points.

Maybe you could start from there to build something that gives better incentives for one of the Allies to switch sides?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.