Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Mow Money» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The Purge: # 1601 Mow Money: Damon Wayans Jr. Said it best, "Mo Money!" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Mow Money is a light economic card game. The theme is a lawn moving business which is really unique. I am so glad they didn't smash Orcs or Gnomes into this game. The game works in the real world and it helps people understand the game more quickly.

The game looks like it is very inviting from a first glance. The rules make it seem a tad harder than it needs to be. At the general outlook of the game, you upgrade your company mostly via bid cards and then bid on jobs. The lowest bid gets the job. If you start with this explanation, I think the game is easier to flow. Otherwise, the game is about managing your resources.

This is a game I feel comfortable recommending to most people. I think non-gamers will need someone comfortable with the game at the table, but they can quickly pick it up due to the use of cards and the theme attaching so easily. That really helps the game be teachable.

One of the most interesting aspects of the game is purchasing those bid cards and then trying to bid low. You don't always know who is bidding on what. Sometimes, you will know people don't have the required type of cards so you can bid higher, but usually people are going after the same cards. You need the jobs to be profitable so you can progress in the game. This idea that you need to bid high to get more money, but if you bid too high you might lose out on winning it all keeps everyone at the table honest.

This is one of a few card games that I highly recommend. If you don't like bidding or economic games, then you should stay away. Otherwise, take a flier on this game that is priced at a great price. Excellent.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are really good. I am very happy with the art work in this game. It keeps the game light enough. While this is an economic game, the game keeps it light enough despite the cut throat bidding in the game. The cards are great quality and the money is small cardboard and it is so much better than paper money. Great effort!

Rule Book:

The rule book is very, very good. I wish it had a quick overview at some point, but the book works. It is a tad wordy, but really covers everything. There are also solo rules that are included in the book.

Flow of the Game:

The winner of the game is the person who makes the best reputation (VP).

1. Invest phase: During this phase you can buy better lawnmowers, buy bidding cards (these will be used to bid on jobs). To easily explain, this is where you will spend money to make your company run better, but doesn't directly lead to points to win the game.

2. Bid Phase: Players now bid on which jobs they want to complete. Players will choose a neighborhood face down and then reveal at the same time. There are bluff cards included if you want to try and trick the other players. If you ever just need some cash, you can do an odd job and get some quick (but not much) money. Each contract may require different types of bid cards (there are three types) so you need to play out your turn in the Invest phase (or previous rounds).

3. Resolve Phase: Players will then reveal their bids and resolve their bids. The contract card will go to whoever bid the least (the neighborhoods want to pay the least amount as possible).

4. Maintenance Phase: This is bookkeeping. This is where you reset the board.

A quick overview:

You will invest in your company by purchasing bid cards, which will then be used to obtain contract cards which give you reputation points (VP). You want to be the lowest bid, which means you will get less money per the work completed (yet, the same amount of VP).

Should I buy this game?:

This is a really fun, light economic game that I think most gamers will enjoy. I highly recommend this game for non-gamers and games alike. If you want to teach basic economic games to 10+ year old kids I think this this is a great place to start. Most people will be able to jump right in as the theme makes a lot of sense in how the economy works.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.