1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What games can you lose before the first turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_a_geeklist [+] [View All]
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently re-watching a runthrough of Food Chain Magnate by Heavy Cardboard and found some of the stories told throughout the game to be pretty humorous. Some of the players were lamenting times they've previously lost the game before Turn 1 even started with bad restaurant placement. As they played they commented again on times they lost on Turn 1 to bad picks, and Turn 2 to poor hiring.

It made me wonder what other games are possible to lose before the game has begun, or almost immediately into the game?

BraveRats has a cheesy (heh) way to win in turn one by playing the Princess to counter a turn one Prince.

Chicago Express can be lost before the game begins with poor bidding. I image basically every 18xx must follow this as well.

Edit: I guess I meant "can guarantee your loss" rather than games where you were actually eliminated before turn 1, however this has evolved into a fascinating discussion about such games. Thanks all for contributing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you agree to play Munchkin, you have already lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
If you agree to play Munchkin, you have already lost.

At least you didn't go with Monopoly, that's a worn out record by now.

I know its not the whole game, but you can be out in Love Letter a lot before you get to play a card in a round. I guess theoretically you could be kicked out every round without ever playing a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matyas Kinde
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
What's more, the game (round) can end in Love Letter before the last player gets a turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Red7 you can have a hand with no possibilities to change to a rule you can win with by the time it's your turn.

(In FCM you always have the "not in the spirit of the game" waitress strategy to at least try to get a decent position just by making some money over and over.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
Waves broke in swift lines on the beach, and she walked over the sand toward her friends, in the wind, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars
mbmbmbmbmb
you can die in BANG! The Dice Game before your first turn in a full game where lots of indian attacks get rolled. Saw it happen and the person was dumbfounded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Life - no matter what, you're going to die...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Krieble
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG.

If you're sitting to the right of the sheriff, you can get killed before even getting to play a card (yes, it has happened to me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ubiquitous Nuclear War can see somebody wiped off the planet before they get a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to win Fluxx on a first turn with the right cards, which of course means it's possible to lose before ever getting a turn.

Not actually a loss, but we had a really bad haunt roll in Betrayal at House on the Hill the first time we played, and the haunt started before I ever got a turn. What's more, I was the traitor, so the turn skipped to the person on my left, and she got another turn before I actually got to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Catan - with some really poor settlement placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
Not actually a loss, but we had a really bad haunt roll in Betrayal at House on the Hill the first time we played, and the haunt started before I ever got a turn. What's more, I was the traitor, so the turn skipped to the person on my left, and she got another turn before I actually got to go.

This is why some people hate Betrayal, but this is why I love it. Plus it gives you extra time to get another game in AND a funny story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro of the Seas - tried this for the first time on the weekend with 8 players and one person was eliminated prior to their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
The ubiquitous Nuclear War can see somebody wiped off the planet before they get a turn.

With a bad population deal and some unpleasant secret/top-secret cards, you can be wiped out during set-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of games you can "lose" before the first turn ends (in terms of - like FCM - bad placement, etc.)

But, two games I can think of where you can be out of the game without taking a turn (literally *out* of the game - go do something else):

Coup
Cosmic Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the gathering (particularly legacy format) has combos that can go off turn 1 and win you the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
There are a lot of games you can "lose" before the first turn ends (in terms of - like FCM - bad placement, etc.)

But, two games I can think of where you can be out of the game without taking a turn (literally *out* of the game - go do something else):

Coup
Cosmic Encounter

I admit I have not played with every single Alien yet, but short of Ace, what other aliens can put someone totally out before the first turn? I've played a 7 player game where it very nearly ended before someone got their turn because of early negotiations and someone getting a big turn, buuuut that would have ended the whole game. We had a 4 player game end very quickly once, but we just set up and played again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
We Didn't Playtest This At All

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I know its not the whole game, but you can be out in Love Letter a lot before you get to play a card in a round. I guess theoretically you could be kicked out every round without ever playing a card.

In Lovecraft Letter it's possible to lose instantly if your first two cards are both 8s (Cthulhu and the Necronomicon I think?). One night it happened to me three times during the same game, once in back-to-back rounds. At least it's a quick game.

Also, although it's not an outright loss, several coop games with randomised setup can give near-unwinnable configurations on turn 1. For example I've seen it happen in Legends of Andor or Eldritch Horror with the monsters concentrating around the items/locations/objectives that were needed by the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
anatana wrote:
you can die in BANG! The Dice Game before your first turn in a full game where lots of indian attacks get rolled. Saw it happen and the person was dumbfounded

How can you get hurt by the Indians if you haven't had a turn to collect arrows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mitchell
Canada
Thorold
Ontario
flag msg tools
I believe that Forbidden island as a combination to lose prior on player turn 1.

Basically:
1. fools landing needs to be one of the first sunken cards flipped.
2 Player 1 cant get to fools landing to shore it up
3 Player 1 flips "waters rise"
4 Fools landing gets resuffled and flipped again and sinks

Theres a significantly less likely chance of this occurring with the other locations as both of them need to come out and get flipped but its possible.

I looked it up after the 2nd less likely option happened to me and a friend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering
"Channelball" is the classic example of early combo strategies because it deals exactly twenty damage, the amount required to win a game, and is playable on the first turn if the right cards are drawn in an opening hand. The basic strategy was to drop quick mana, including Black Lotus or Mox artifacts, cast a Channel and a Fireball, using excess mana to pump the Fireball up one or two damage, and using Channel to fuel the Fireball for the rest of the damage necessary to kill one's opponent. The ensuing 20-point Fireball would kill one's opponent, and leave the caster usually between 1-5 life. Because Channelball was quite vulnerable to essentially fatal disruption (e.g., a Counterspell, or retaliatory Lightning Bolt) it was superseded by more robust, fast, and powerful combo decks.
~source: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Combo_deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and in my one and only game of Room 25 we lost in 1 round due to a player walking into the explosive room and the traitor then pushing me in. I've no doubt that a large and self-destructive group could manage to end the game without the last player ever taking a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
etherton wrote:

With a bad population deal and some unpleasant secret/top-secret cards, you can be wiped out during set-up!

I remember 1 game that I won when everybody else was wiped out before I got a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.