Hide
17 Posts

Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to update your deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Re
msg tools
Hey, everyone! So, I'm a little confused as I've re-read the rules multiple times, and for whatever reason, I can't seem to find anywhere in there that talks about decks from game to game. I just bought the game and am soloing with 3 characters. I plan on grinding through the Dungeon Crawl for a little bit to get a hang of things. ANYWAYS, where in the book does it say what I do after a game with my deck? Currently, I keep resetting it back to what the character sheet says, but I can't imagine the decks stay like that as more powerful cards come up.

Thanks a BUNCH for any help. The forums have been great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Every adventure you reset your deck to whatever you have in your equipment pack on your character card. This can be modified by items you have received and features.

The "Deck-building" isn't game to game like Arkham Horror LCG (for example). It's a core mechanic of the actual gameplay in each adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
Oh, interesting! I just assumed (Like in Pathfinder) you bring your deck from game to game. I appreciate the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only cards you can add to your basic equipment pack and carryover each game are the magic items you have found (limited by your attune restrictions). These are optional to add, however, as they can clog up your deck and may be situational. So each game you build your deck from the ground up via the market, hoping it becomes strong enough to survive the final stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Re
msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
kcurtis wrote:
The only cards you can add to your basic equipment pack and carryover each game are the magic items you have found (limited by your attune restrictions). These are optional to add, however, as they can clog up your deck and may be situational. So each game you build your deck from the ground up via the market, hoping it becomes strong enough to survive the final stage.

FYI some features add cards to your equipment pack too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, some FLGS's do a special where if you play an adventure at the store, you can draw a random item from the treasure pack and take it home.

at our FLGS we've been playing this as a card you carry with you as a player, and can insert it into any character you want, and then you take it home with you when the game is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:
Also, some FLGS's do a special where if you play an adventure at the store, you can draw a random item from the treasure pack and take it home.

at our FLGS we've been playing this as a card you carry with you as a player, and can insert it into any character you want, and then you take it home with you when the game is over.

House ruled though

The item pack is called Hidden Treasures, and some stores just outright sold their copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:
mohnkern wrote:

House ruled though

The item pack is called Hidden Treasures, and some stores just outright sold their copies.

I wish I could have bought one of those packs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
I wish I could have bought one of those packs!

I found one last weekend on a shelf at a local store. So they are still out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
To elaborate a bit on what other people have said, one of the core mechanics of the game is purchasing (or borrowing or stealing depending on your class and abilities) directly from the market and putting those abilities into your hand for use right away. Permanently adding cards to your deck denies those cards to other players/characters in your party.

Thusly, if you really NEED a lightning bolt to beat an encounter before you wipe, and your wizard is unconscious and has ALL the lightning bolts in their deck.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wafflebob wrote:
To elaborate a bit on what other people have said, one of the core mechanics of the game is purchasing (or borrowing or stealing depending on your class and abilities) directly from the market and putting those abilities into your hand for use right away. Permanently adding cards to your deck denies those cards to other players/characters in your party.

Thusly, if you really NEED a lightning bolt to beat an encounter before you wipe, and your wizard is unconscious and has ALL the lightning bolts in their deck.....

Lightning Bolt is a fairly bad example because it requires that you be an Arcane class to even be able to touch it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Wafflebob wrote:

Lightning Bolt is a fairly bad example because it requires that you be an Arcane class to even be able to touch it.

Lightning Bolt doesn't require Arcane class but Arcane play (another Arcane card must be played this turn). Nevertheless, my Bard tends to not purchase Lightning Bolt .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
Lightning Bolt doesn't require Arcane class but Arcane play (another Arcane card must be played this turn). Nevertheless, my Bard tends to not purchase Lightning Bolt .

Okay, geek gold to you. Mixed that one up with Fireball!

I think I had in my head that because of the 'play' requirement that only the Arcane class should even bother with Lightning Bolt because otherwise the likelihood that is too high that a really great card (LB) will be dead weight in your hand until that Cantrip rolls around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Williamson
United States
Bloomfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:
[q="mohnkern"]

That's the expansion for players to purchase. The OP support is called "Wondrous Treasures". It was limited to 1 per launch kit and has different cards than Hidden Treasures.

I stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From dragonfirethegame.com:

Quote:

NOVEMBER 15TH

Catalyst Game Labs is pleased to announce that Dragonfire will be available on game store shelves November 15th!

Alongside the much-anticipated release of this Dungeons & Dragons® deck-building game, players will also be able to further equip their heroes and jump into the exciting action with these great accessories:

HEROES OF THE SWORD COAST: Rally your forces with 32 additional race/class combinations in this Character Pack, including the Ranger, Druid, Warlock, and Bard. Also includes additional Market cards, as well as a bevy of new ability stickers!

WONDROUS TREASURES: Empower yourself with an expanded deck of magical items gleaned from the hordes of monsters or discovered in long-lost vaults.

HIDDEN TREASURES: An additional deck of fantastical magic items can be found with participating retailers. Play a game in their store and perhaps find a magic item you’ll discover no where else. Ask your local retailers if they have the Hidden Treasure deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
SmallRealities wrote:
SteoanK wrote:

That's the expansion for players to purchase. The OP support is called "Wondrous Treasures". It was limited to 1 per launch kit and has different cards that Hidden Treasures.

Nope, flip it around. The pack that you can buy at retail is Wondrous Treasures. Here's the link at Cool Stuff Inc.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/241738

If you do a search for Hidden Treasures you can't find it.

Yes, they both contain different cards (though there are duplicates of commons and uncommons, not sure on rares or very rares). Stores were given Hidden Treasures to hand out cards as promos from but some stores ended up just selling them.

Wondrous treasures was part of the retail pack available for purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.