Clans of Caledonia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Port Bonus Tile: Price Manipulation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matias P
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the rules it states "Manipulate the price of one Good by three steps on the Market before trading this Good."
That means it's not possible to use this port in a turn where I have no intentions of buying or selling, only to manipulate the market to harm other players, right?

- Does this mean I can use this Port ONLY in a turn where I take the "Trade" action?
OR
- Is it also possible to use this Port in a turn where I play an "Expand" action, using the Neighborhood Bonus to buy a good? (assuming I used the Port at the beginning of that turn).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may use any port tile as an additional action on any of your turns after you are neighboring (or within reach) of said port.

Yes to both of your scenarios, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias P
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zamoose wrote:
You may use any port tile as an additional action on any of your turns after you are neighboring (or within reach) of said port.

Actually, there are some ports you CAN'T use in any turn. For example, you couldn't get Meat from a Port in a turn when you're not fulfilling a contract. And I think you CAN'T manipulate the price of a good in a turn when you don't have intentions of buying/selling that good... at least that's what I understand from the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaToMaStEr wrote:
zamoose wrote:

Actually, there are some ports you CAN'T use in any turn. For example, you couldn't get Meat from a Port in a turn when you're not fulfilling a contract. And I think you CAN'T manipulate the price of a good in a turn when you don't have intentions of buying that good... at least that's what I understand from the rules?

You may have a point regarding the meat port. I disagree with the manipulation port, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zamoose wrote:
MaToMaStEr wrote:
zamoose wrote:

Actually, there are some ports you CAN'T use in any turn. For example, you couldn't get Meat from a Port in a turn when you're not fulfilling a contract. And I think you CAN'T manipulate the price of a good in a turn when you don't have intentions of buying that good... at least that's what I understand from the rules?

You may have a point regarding the meat port. I disagree with the manipulation port, though.

The rules state you manipulate a good before trading in it. So you couldn't just manipulate to manipulate. You'd actually have to take a trade action or neighborhood bonus. Furthermore, it would be the good you are trading in and not just any good of your choice while trading something else.

Meat also says when fulfilling an contract, just like you can't slaughter an animal whenever you like, it must be during the fulfillment of a contract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clause of intent
MaToMaStEr wrote:
zamoose wrote:
I agree with this interpretation, because the price manipulation has to be '...before trading this good.' That's a condition of using the bonus, or why else mention it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesnt matter if you do trade as your main action or through the neighborhood bonus trade action. But you have to trade the specific good after you manipulated its price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Álvaro Sampaio
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Doctor of Dental Surgery / Boardgamer
badge
Play Gaia Project - R.I.P. Terra Mystica
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be sure of the correct rule and avoid some timing mistakes:
Is it legal to build next to someone's structure; use the Port free action to lower the price 3 steps and than, with the neighborhood bonus buy 3 specific goods with discount?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dralvaro wrote:
Is it legal to build next to someone's structure; use the Port free action to lower the price 3 steps and than, with the neighborhood bonus buy 3 specific goods with discount?
No. Although both actions take place after the Expand action it specifies 'The Neighbourhood bonus can only be used immediately after expanding' (p5) so, although the Port Bonus can be used 'immediately' and 'in addition to whatever Action they perform' doing so first means that the Neighbourhood bonus hasn't been taken immediately and the chance is therefore lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
dralvaro wrote:
No. Although both actions take place after the Expand action it specifies 'The Neighbourhood bonus can only be used immediately after expanding' (p5) so, although the Port Bonus can be used 'immediately' and 'in addition to whatever Action they perform' doing so first means that the Neighbourhood bonus hasn't been taken immediately and the chance is therefore lost.

I must disagree with this interpretation because of Juma's comment above that the port tile can be used either through "your main action or through the neighborhood bonus trade action". He is the designer, after all. A sequence of simultaneous immediate effects seems to be the intent here. You expand and then, as part of using the neighbor bonus to trade, you use the port tile to manipulate the price of the good you are buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humpty Dumpty's Dictionary
Pattersonclan wrote:
misteralan wrote:
dralvaro wrote:

I must disagree with this interpretation because of Juma's comment above that the port tile can be used either through "your main action or through the neighborhood bonus trade action". He is the designer, after all. A sequence of simultaneous immediate effects seems to be the intent here. You expand and then, as part of using the neighbor bonus to trade, you use the port tile to manipulate the price of the good you are buying.
He's going to have to change the wording of the rules then because, assuming that is the correct answer, the neighbourhood bonus hasn't been exercised immediately, despite that being a condition of using it.

This is only an issue if the Port Bonus only became possible due to the current Expand Action. If the port was already in range I would agree that you can manipulate the price, Expand and then take the Neighbourhood bonus(es).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Álvaro Sampaio
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Doctor of Dental Surgery / Boardgamer
badge
Play Gaia Project - R.I.P. Terra Mystica
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
Pattersonclan wrote:
misteralan wrote:
dralvaro wrote:

He's going to have to change the wording of the rules then because, assuming that is the correct answer, the neighbourhood bonus hasn't been exercised immediately, despite that being a condition of using it.

This is only an issue if the Port Bonus only became possible due to the current Expand Action. If the port was already in range I would agree that you can manipulate the price, Expand and then take the Neighbourhood bonus(es).

It is a simples question actually.

"Is it legal to interrupt the course of an action to apply effects caused by the action itself or to use free actions?"

Or

"Every action must be fully completed before other effects take part?"

I think that 1 is right, and that rule confusion exists because in other euro like games that we play, every action have to be "full" and the effects of the action and/or free actions have to be applied before or after the action, never during the action. Probably due to the chain reactions possible in Clans of Caledonia, you can perform your turn in any order, once the first action, usually build or complete a contract, were done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dralvaro wrote:
It is a simples question actually.

"Is it legal to interrupt the course of an action to apply effects caused by the action itself or to use free actions?"

Or

I think that 1 is right, and that rule confusion exists because in other euro like games that we play, every action have to be "full" and the effects of the action and/or free actions have to be applied before or after the action, never during the action. Probably due to the chain reactions possible in Clans of Caledonia, you can perform your turn in any order, once the first action, usually build or complete a contract, were done.
I'd argue against 1. If 1 is correct it becomes possible, for example, to fund an expansion with the Port Bonus of £10, to build into range of that port, when you couldn't afford it in advance.

If that is possible it needs to be clearly stated. In Brass: Birmingham you need to be connected to a coal supply to build rail links and it is explicitly stated that the links being built can themselves create that connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Juma stating in the forums that if there are multiple immediate effects to perform as a result of an action, the player taking the action can choose the order of resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
dralvaro wrote:

Or

I'd argue against 1. If 1 is correct it becomes possible, for example, to fund an expansion with the Port Bonus of £10, to build into range of that port, when you couldn't afford it in advance.

I intended to respond arguing against this example, but after consulting the rules I think misteralan is right.

The expand action first tells you to place the unit, then tells you to pay for it. The port bonus says it's usable when the player has a unit in shipping range. So the port requirement is met as soon as the unit is placed, even before it is paid for. If we're allowed to "inject" port bonus tiles into actions before they are completed, then I think the example given would indeed be legal -- you could expand into a space that you could only afford by taking the port bonus from the port that your newly-placed unit is now in range of.

I hope Juma will clarify whether or not this is intended to be permitted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kind of opponent
mitcharf wrote:
misteralan wrote:
dralvaro wrote:

Or

I intended to respond arguing against this example, but after consulting the rules I think misteralan is right.

The expand action first tells you to place the unit, then tells you to pay for it. The port bonus says it's usable when the player has a unit in shipping range. So the port requirement is met as soon as the unit is placed, even before it is paid for. If we're allowed to "inject" port bonus tiles into actions before they are completed, then I think the example given would indeed be legal -- you could expand into a space that you could only afford by taking the port bonus from the port that your newly-placed unit is now in range of.

I hope Juma will clarify whether or not this is intended to be permitted.
I'd be equally happy for you to be correct, so long as we do arrive at clarity. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) In order to use a port tile you need to be already in reach of it. You are not allowed to place a unit, then use the port tile to finance the cost of placing the unit.

2) The word "immediately" is meant to stress that the neighborhood bonus cannot be used later and that it is only a one-time bonus. The building bonus must also be used "immediately" after expanding. If you happen to expand your 4th bakery neighboring another players distillery, you could only use either the building bonus or the neighborhood bonus if you interprete the word "immediately" very strictly. But that was NOT intended. In such a situation you can simply choose if you first use the building bonus or the neighborhood bonus but you can use both of course. Thus, maybe "immediately" should be replaced by "in the same turn" for both the building bonus and the neighborhood bonus.

Thus, I would allow someone to place a unit, pay for the unit through which they get into reach of the price manipulation port tile, then manipulate the price and use the neighborhood bonus. At the moment I can't see any unintended odd effects of this ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nearly there then
Innovatormentor wrote:
1) In order to use a port tile you need to be already in reach of it. You are not allowed to place a unit, then use the port tile to finance the cost of placing the unit.

2) The word "immediately" is meant to stress that the neighborhood bonus cannot be used later and that it is only a one-time bonus. The building bonus must also be used "immediately" after expanding. If you happen to expand your 4th bakery neighboring another players distillery, you could only use either the building bonus or the neighborhood bonus if you interprete the word "immediately" very strictly. But that was NOT intended. In such a situation you can simply choose if you first use the building bonus or the neighborhood bonus but you can use both of course. Thus, maybe "immediately" should be replaced by "in the same turn" for both the building bonus and the neighborhood bonus.

Thus, I would allow someone to place a unit, pay for the unit through which they get into reach of the price manipulation port tile, then manipulate the price and use the neighborhood bonus. At the moment I can't see any unintended odd effects of this ruling.
It would have been easier to understand the sequence intended if the Expand rule didn't have the unit placement made apparently prior to paying for it, when a conventional sequence is pay, then place. Adding in a Port market manipulation interrupt to another 'immediate' effect and the confusion is understandable.

I think I've been playing the 'immediate' wrong, given that it appeared you would have to pick only one, but that aside I don't remember other problems.

If you are going to reword this I suggest you say something like 'subsequently perform a free [whatever] Action in your turn' for each newly triggered possibility, simply to show they occur after the Expand placement.

You might also want to give some thought to the rule that 'during the Action Phase each player takes exactly one Action per turn' (p4) which is simply inaccurate as we can see. Either that or change the terminology for these extra 'actions'.

Good game though. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.