Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Elixir? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rasmus Ramö Streith
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Question: we played astral alchemy, very early on we were able to put improvement tokens on our skills. Later and during the rest of the game we all found elixir cards but we never used them. Because you can only have one improv token and upgrade your skill ones. Or can you drink the elixir and just upgrade the skill during one turn. It just felt wrong with all these elixir cards on the table and no one was drinking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentmax7 wrote:
Question: we played astral alchemy, very early on we were able to put improvement tokens on our skills. Later and during the rest of the game we all found elixir cards but we never used them. Because you can only have one improv token and upgrade your skill ones. Or can you drink the elixir and just upgrade the skill during one turn. It just felt wrong with all these elixir cards on the table and no one was drinking
is it good for "one turn", or are you only allowed to upgrade a skill once per game?

(asking because we haven't used it yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this scenario and improvements are given in other ways making the elixir unlikely to be useful. I don't recall any rule text, anywhere, that says you can have more than one improvement, in fact rules state you can have one only per skill. I also don't recall the elixir card stating it was a one-turn effect or that the text over-road these rules (but I don't have a card in front of me - easily confirmed by reading the card text). So, they are useless if that skill is already improved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card text says:

Quote:
At the start of your turn, you may improve one skill of your choice. If you do, flip this card.

So this is not a temporary improvement.

Quote:
A skill cannot be improved more than once

But you can improve multiple skills once each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
Card text says:

Quote:
At the start of your turn, you may improve one skill of your choice. If you do, flip this card.

Quote:

yes, that's how we read it as well: improvement stays with you for the game and no skill can be improved more than once...

(i suppose it's possible some text in the app, or on a card we haven't seen yet, could remove the improvement(s)...but we haven't seen anything yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
As said above, it is a permanent improvement unless removed, you can do it at any time, and you can improve multiple skills.

I can confirm that there are effects in game that can remove an improvement. For instance, I have seen it happen on a Horror check. Elixirs are also item cards, so an effect that forces you to discard the elixir would also remove the associated improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dverning wrote:
Elixirs are also item cards, so an effect that forces you to discard the elixir would also remove the associated improvement.

Elixirs are only possessions when face-up. If discarded when face-up, you would not remove any improvement because the elixir was not used yet.

Elixirs are not possessions when face-down. [slight spoiler ahead] There are only two elixirs that stay face-down. The others are discarded right away but you keep the improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
pisqueeter wrote:
Card text says:

Quote:

Quote:

yes, that's how we read it as well: improvement stays with you for the game and no skill can be improved more than once...

(i suppose it's possible some text in the app, or on a card we haven't seen yet, could remove the improvement(s)...but we haven't seen anything yet)

There are some horror cards that have you remove an improvement token from the character that drew it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Ramö Streith
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Aha, I misread. For some reason I read it like you can not improve your skill more than once and only choose one skill, but yes you can improve all your skills once. that means you can have up to 6 improved skill tokens at most next to your character.

well more elixir drinking next time

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
pisqueeter wrote:
Card text says:

Quote:

Quote:

You read it like that because it's written like that. Nothing says you can't improve another skill. Why would you assume you can't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.