Popular Tags: [View All]
Danut
Romania
flag msg tools
badge
Board games are better than video games
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello friends !

Can you please tell me if this game is worth buying for solo only?

Thank you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is a solo mode which is quite fun but it feels (to me) like just a way you can play a 'workable' version on your own on occasion, rather than a reason to buy the game.

There is a campaign mode floating around these forums somewhere which sounds good, but still - this game shines with multiple players, I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a purely solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Caruso
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it originally to play solo only and it was fun for awhile. I have since had more fun with multiple players. I just discovered the optional solo campaign and have been meaning to give it a try, so you should look into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Next Game Please
England
Frome
Somerset
flag msg tools
Find a Friend
badge
Next Game Please
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO no. There are a lot of better games out there for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After only playing this game five times with my family, Imperial Settlers literally sat on the shelf for eighteen months. The turns took so long and there was so many choices in the game, it seemed to drag on.

My ten year old son pulled out the game back in August and was playing two factions by himself. It was then I decided to learn and play the solo game. The very things that I disliked in the multi-player game were the very things I enjoyed in the solo game (25 plays since August). So much so, that I have bought the two small expansions and the Atlanteans. My son has played more solo games of Imperial Settlers than I have and loves it.

Though it certainly not for everybody, the solo game is very enjoyable game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
I think it's worth it, but beware, the campaign mode is very fiddly after several sessions. There's a lot of maintenance and upkeep, so as long as you dont mind that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nielson Jugalbot
Canada
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is one of my favourite games to play solo especially with all the expansions available. It does feel like a point salad game but the variety offered with the multiple races always offer something new. I play this game at least once a month on my own. My kids also love playing this game which often happens after I play a solo session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Morgan
msg tools

Absolutely - it's a great solo game, certainly one of my favourites even just with what you get in the basic game box.

I haven't experimented with the empire packs yet in solo play but the faction expansions are great if you play the standard 4 factions and decide you want more.

Make sure you read the rules carefully - there are a couple of very important rules which people seem to miss when starting out and they really change the game.

The main one people seem to miss is that when you build a production card or make a deal, you get the resources immediately (as well as on future production rounds).

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IVe played more than 30 times and I still love it. It’s a great solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishticuffs wrote:
IMO no. There are a lot of better games out there for solo play.

This is not meant hostile, I am just curious (and would like to find out more about great solo games):
Can you name one or two? With a short reasoning on why and how they are better, if possible?
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.