Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard reports of games going 7 or 8 rounds, but I rarely have games that last longer than 5 rounds because it's usually in someone's best interest to end the game sooner rather than later.

What has your experience been like?

Poll
How many of your games end in exactly 5 rounds?
10% or less
~30%
~50%
~70%
90% or more
      93 answers
Poll created by tribefan07

Poll
How many rounds was your longest game?
9 or more
      91 answers
Poll created by tribefan07

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Though this does appear to be somewhat related to player counts. When my wife and I play at just 2-player, easily 90+% have been 5 round games. Only a few went to 6. But at 3- and 4-player counts, interestingly a higher percentage of games go 6 rounds. I've yet to have a 7-round game, though, of course, it is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear more details from those saying they've had 9+ round games. How? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
Though this does appear to be somewhat related to player counts. When my wife and I play at just 2-player, easily 90+% have been 5 round games. Only a few went to 6. But at 3- and 4-player counts, interestingly a higher percentage of games go 6 rounds. I've yet to have a 7-round game, though, of course, it is possible.

Yes, this is surprising to me. I'd expect the more players in the game (and able to end the game), the less likely it would be to go greater than 5 rounds. Interesting! Maybe it's easier to know whether you're in the lead with a 2p game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
I'd love to hear more details from those saying they've had 9+ round games. How? Why?

+1

That sounds near-impossible, like a hard and truly cooperative effort, trying to maximise score and avoid finishing the game as long as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just group think, but our group mainly goes for vertical rows and 5 of a kind, so our games almost always go past 5 rounds. Usually around 7, but I've definitely played games that went to 9 rounds, maybe even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most tiles you can place without ending the game is four in each row. To do this uses 60 tiles (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 for each row). For the game to go 9 rounds, every player must have placed fewer than that in 8 rounds. But 9-10 tiled per player come into the game each round (depending on player count) so each player would have to be throwing 12-20 tiles on to the floor. Definitely feels like groupthink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
The most tiles you can place without ending the game is four in each row. To do this uses 60 tiles (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 for each row). For the game to go 9 rounds, every player must have placed fewer than that in 8 rounds. But 9-10 tiled per player come into the game each round (depending on player count) so each player would have to be throwing 12-20 tiles on to the floor. Definitely feels like groupthink.

Specified:
If the game does not end after 8 rounds, then the maximum number of tiles placed in the building rows (not the wall) is 4 times (1+2+3+4+5) plus 1+2+3+4 (one tile missing in each building row in the 8th round; also one tile missing in each wall row).
That means max. 70 tiles placed in each player's building rows in 8 rounds.

Player number/nr. of tiles taken in 8 rounds/max. tiles placed on players' boards in 8 rounds (sum):

2/160/140
3/224/210
4/288/280

It 'only' means throwing 10/5/2 tiles/player on the floor.
With ideal distribution of tiles which almost never happens.
Also with no one messing with others' plans, what's more, probably helping each other quite a bit.
Also with a crazy 9th round that I can't even imagine.

9 rounds feels like some rule error is involved (e.g. 'play ends when one player fills their board completely') OR the game is played as a cooperative game where everyone tries to build a complete wall and everyone helps each other in this aim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the correction Laszlo, it was early
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.