8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Why is Gloomhaven listed in the "Economic" Category? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hegalian_Crisis!!
United States
flag msg tools
I've been looking at games in the "Economic" category and I'm not sure why Gloomhaven is listed there. I view Economic as where a game would have a city/base building or 4X element and don't see anything in the description where Gloomhaven includes that. If it does I'd be more interested in it but if it simply means that by accumulating treasure the heroes can purchase more equipment well, every role-playing game could be listed as Economic. Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Fiji
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you progress, the city itself experiences economic growth, and your actions do contribute to that. And your characters do have money they gain and spend. But no, I wouldn't classify this game as an economic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Sedalia
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I shouldn't be saying this because of spoilers, but I guess you haven't gotten to the part yet where you and Jekserah compete to build the most optimal supply routes through Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Konata wrote:
I shouldn't be saying this because of spoilers, but I guess you haven't gotten to the part yet where you and Jekserah compete to build the most optimal supply routes through Gloomhaven.

The worker placement seemed derivative to me. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Because you save a lot of money if you buy this game, since it quickly becomes the only game youll ever want, so you don't buy anything else, hence it is very economic to own it whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rawlinsusmc wrote:
As you progress, the city itself experiences economic growth, and your actions do contribute to that. And your characters do have money they gain and spend. But no, I wouldn't classify this game as an economic game.

True, with the the "prosperity level".
And each "donation" to the Sanctuary is tracked toward unlocking an envelope
Spoiler (click to reveal)
and beyond, after opening that envelope

I still wouldn't classify it as an "economic" game. More a strategy game with some economic sub-mechanics incorporated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an economic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
fixed!

(in case folks don't know, BGG is a publicly editable database, so anyone could have hit 'edit' on the front page and corrected this, and you get some geekgold for doing so! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.