Subject: How is infantry portrayed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Halley
msg tools
mb
ood morning everyone!
At least its morning where I live.

This is a cross post from the MDT thread in case you saw it there.

I am an old ASL player who doesn't play ASL anymore, so games with layers of details don't scare me. But I am wondering how infantry is portrayed in MBT and Panzer! compared to ASL or say Band of Brothers (another favorite of mine). Could there be a Pacific War version of Panzer! set in the jungles of the South Pacific (i.e. Guadalcanal or New Guinea)? Just wondering.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Take care,
Dean Halley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you read the rules? They are available on-line and can give you a good idea of what infantry does.

Short answer: move fewer hexes per turn and mainly there to hold terrain and hope not to get spotted and shelled. I've played everything you listed and have no problem with the portrayal of infantry in MBT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Pacitto
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This thread talks about infantry.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1854018/infantry-play-and-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBRP wrote:
Have you read the rules? T.

Now why should he do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richie61 wrote:

Thanks, I was too lazy to go hunting for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone. I lean by doing, so just reading the rules will not give me a good impression of how infantry is used. But I didn't want to buy the game and find out the hard way that its is not my cup of tea.

Have a great day!
Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sawyer
United States
Westfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I say, ASL is an infantry game with tanks, Panzer is a tank game with infantry. Rules are more abstracted than ASL, squads are two step units that killed with two effective hits. Morale is treated as a reduction of move and fire. There are some special abilities, engineers, flamethrowers, smoke, hand-to-hand combat, close combat with tanks, overruns etc, but they are much simpler. There are a few rough edges, infantry fire on tanks is a bit of a exercise in logic, ie if condition x then y else z else z1. Overall infantry works but I wouldn't look for a island hopping modules as it would be very plan and players would be looking for more tank v tank battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Alan said, and the ground scale is different so it will not feel like ASL. It is definitely a very different approach than other squad level games but i think it works well....
Panzer is way more like Tobruk with good infantry rules than like any other squad level game i have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
deanhalley wrote:
Could there be a Pacific War version of Panzer! set in the jungles of the South Pacific (i.e. Guadalcanal or New Guinea)? Just wondering.

I don't see that on the horizon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.