Subject: Tuck, or no tuck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered that there is an entire chain of clothing stores, dedicated mostly to shirts that are not meant to be tucked in.

They are called UNTUCKit. https://www.untuckit.com/
25 locations; originally based out of NYC.

I'm not a fan of an untucked shirt. I even tuck in T-Shirts.

My guess is that this style would appeal to the man (and now they have women's clothing, too) with the large stomach.
Rather than wear a tucked in shirt that shows off straining buttons, you go loose and allow the draping to disguise more of your gut.
Makes sense.

Poll
1. Tuck or No tuck?
Tuck, pretty much always
Tuck, usually
It depends entirely on the situation
A bit of both; you can't really spot a trend with me
No tuck, usually
No tuck, pretty much always
Other?
2. By the way, do you do up your top shirt button?
No
Sometimes
Usually
Yes
Yes, if I'm also wearing a tie
I actually leave more than one button undone
None of my shirts even have buttons
Other?
      154 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I only tuck when I'm wearing a suit...or dancing in front of a mirror, naked listening to Q Lazzarus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually don't tuck in my T-shirts. I also don't tuck in my sweatshirts. However, if it's a colder day, and I wear a long-sleeve shirt underneath a T-shirt, I will tuck in the long-sleeve shirt (but usually won't tuck in the T-Shirt itself). If the T-shirt is really long (I have one or two this way) then I'll tuck it in, though.

If I'm wearing a collared shirt (polo or button-up), I will almost always tuck it in, even if I'm wearing jeans. I usually don't button up the top button unless the neckline is really big on the polo shirt (which I only have one shirt that this really applies to), or if I'm wearing a tie on a button-up shirt.

I also always zip up my pants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tuck button-up shirts, but nothing else. If the shirt is cut right, it can look really good not tucked in, but whenever I try to do that I just feel self conscious and sloppy so I end up tucking it in anyway.

And to back up your guess: I have a flat stomach. If it weren't, I could see me leaving it out of the pants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tucking depends nearly solely on occasion for me. 95% of the time everything is untucked. Sometimes my tees get tucked in colder months when I will be outside. Dress occasions get tucked shirts.

Luckily my office and my position do not require ultra formal office wear. "Business professional" which I adhere to more than many of my workmates.

My dad is real old school. He still tucks everything. Looks weird to me to see him in a tee with nothing over it and having it tucked. Even short sleeved shirts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Lone Jack
Missouri
flag msg tools
evil appears as good in the minds of those whom gods lead to destruction
badge
The Battle on the Ice, ending in a major defeat in the Northern Crusades.
mbmbmbmbmb
For some strange reason a image of Silence of the Lambs flash before my eyes when I first read this. Thank goodness it wasn't about Buffalo Bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Usually tucked. T-shirts can be 50/50.

I have one collared shirt that has the buttons kind of low so I button the top button. Other than that I never button the top button, even when wearing ties. (and hopefully I never have to wear a tie again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tuck in most shirts.
If the shirt - tshirt or shortsleeve buttondown - is short enough, I'll leave it untucked.
Exception is wearing t shirt and shorts or lounge pants just hanging around the house.
If i'm wearing a flannel on top of a T, the T is tucked in and the flannel isn't.
Only time I wear a longsleeve shirt is in an "fancy" occasion and it's tucked in.
I button the top if I'm wearing a tie, but even then I'll usually unbutton it and just rely on the tie.
I saw one of those UnTUCK stores but didn't go in, I was tempted but since I always tuck I didn't know how it would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wear a white undershirt everyday under whatever I'm wearing and that always gets tucked. Other than that the only time I tuck is if it's a dress shirt.

I button the top button of my polos and dress shirts. The latter only if I'm wearing a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
MABBY wrote:
I'm not a fan of an untucked shirt. I even tuck in T-Shirts.
No one has tucked in a t-shirt since 1983, and they looked like dorks back then too.

The only people tucking in shirts should be undertakers and stockbrokers.

And I would love Untuckit... if they didn't try to sell me a basic buttondown shirt for $80.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only things that get tucked over my relatively flat stomach:
Formal wear
Anything under another layer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tuck in my polo shirts and when dressed in suits. I do not tuck in t-shirts, that's weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't tuck, I'm retired and done with that nonsense. Wear Hawaiian shirts 95% of the time and t-shirts or sweatshirts the rest.

Go to weddings and funerals untucked.

Alas, on occasion, I forget to zip up the pants. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tucking in t-shirts? Really? Even if I had the coolest belt known to man (obviously Batman's utility belt) I still wouldn't tuck in my t-shirts. I'm 6' and around a 155 in good shape and 175 in my current shape and still considered thin by most standards (I just don't have a big frame). It has nothing to do with hiding a gut, it's all about comfort. Also my wife hates the tucked-in look so when the rare event comes up that I need to dress nice, even then it's untucked unless I'm wearing a suit. I do live in Texas where it's regularly 95+ in the summer, for whatever that's worth.

Edit: That said, I completely forgot I tuck in my uniform shirt every day for work. But on the job I DO have a pretty sweet utility belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Only tuck collared button up, of wearing slacks. Generally this means I'm in the office. Top button wide, no tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandmasterstevo wrote:
Tucking in t-shirts? Really? Even if I had the coolest belt known to man (obviously Batman's utility belt) I still wouldn't tuck in my t-shirts. I'm 6' and around a 155 in good shape and 175 in my current shape and still considered thin by most standards (I just don't have a big frame). It has nothing to do with hiding a gut, it's all about comfort. Also my wife hates the tucked-in look so when the rare event comes up that I need to dress nice, even then it's untucked unless I'm wearing a suit. I do live in Texas where it's regularly 95+ in the summer, for whatever that's worth.

Edit: That said, I completely forgot I tuck in my uniform shirt every day for work. But on the job I DO have a pretty sweet utility belt.

There is the partial tuck if you have a pretty sweet belt buckle, but even then, you could only get away with that in Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
erak wrote:
grandmasterstevo wrote:

There is the partial tuck if you have a pretty sweet belt buckle, but even then, you could only get away with that in Texas.

Very true, but then you gotta put on the boots and hat and that's too much work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb

Sampling 11 years of photos it appears that wearing long sleeve unbuttoned and untucked shirts is my casual style. Long sleeves because I've been self-conscious about my skinny arms and untucked in order to conceal something I might have on me. I usually tuck in the tee-shirt. Of course, I dress appropriately of out respect for my companions or funerals and other occasions of state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Today my dress shirt was tucked and buttoned all the way up since I had to attend a funeral and wear a jacket and tie. Tomorrow I'll be back to untucked and unbuttoned at the top. I prefer the casual look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Your guess would be wrong.

I would not dream of tucking in a shirt. I live in desert continent. Right now (as I eat lunch) the temperature already exceeds human body core, and it will climb further over the course of the next 6 or 7 hours.

Tucking in a shirt would not be a matter of mere discomfort.

I take no small amusement from observing people who do tuck their shirts in (and do up that top button). Ruddy-faced, dripping with sweat (in huge patches under their arms and across their backs), weakened by incipient heat-stroke... No thanks, not for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I am a large man (much smaller than I used to be, but still very large). I have a 46" waist, but, even at my largest (54") I always tucked in my shirts. I don't find that an untucked shirt "hides" anything, since, on someone my size, there might be a few inch gap between my shirt and pants that is obviously the gut pushing it out. While tucked in, the lines you created are actually better looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wear an un-tucked t-shirt, 100% of the time, and about 90% of the time I have an un-tucked short sleeved button up shirt on top of that. The top two or three buttons on the button up, are always buttoned up with the rest unbuttoned.

It's not a good look, but am I going to do? I hate it when the wind blows my shirt around...

[As a point of total transparency, the last time I did not wear a t-shirt, was 14 months ago, but there was a 21 gun salute involved, and I "had" to wear a suit]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am enhanced with a very long torso compared to my body. And normal sized arms. This means a couple things: long sleeve shirts don't fit me well. The arms are ALWAYS too long. And usually the shirt is not long enough. As I have gotten older my stomach has gotten bigger which adds to the problem. It is not uncommon to have a shirt that is too big around, but not long enough. I had this problem before I got fatter as well.

Result: Doesn't matter if I do tuck my shirt in. It comes untucked pretty much right away. SO I don't bother tucking them in anyway. Plus to be honest, I think tucking your shirt in makes you look like a tool. But obviously, I am biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not wanting to tuck in shirts and otherwise participate in the dystopian nightmare that is business casual attire is what led me to pursue a career with no dress code.

That being said, I always tuck shirts in when I wear a button down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.