Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Messick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a first play of this in recently and I had a bit of a head cold (which I call sicky brain) and wasn't thinking real great. I kept getting a bunch of the rules wrong and didn't teach it too well. We had a blast anyway though and the other two, one who is super into MOBAs and the other who is super into pirates, are eager to play again, so worry not, this is not a tale of how I ruined the experience, thankfully. I think pimping it out with this playmat helped:

HOWEVER, we have a guys gaming weekend coming up and there are five of us and I want this to go as smoothly as possible, so I had some questions.

1. Do you recommend this game for 5 players?

2. Should we play the 5 player rules? Or the regular rules, just divvy up? Or try Clash Royale?

And some game questions of stuff I was confused on from my first play:

3. Does EACH deckhand and bosun attack individually? Or do they attack as a group?

4. Can you have more than one sea monster out at a time? More than two, etc.?

5. When you control a sea monster, do you activate them instead of or in addition to one of your heroes?

6. What are the little red activation tokens used for? I thought the dead man's coins covered that, no?

7. Are there any broken characters or class combinations to avoid/nerf/houserule out?

8. Ransack and Pillage: Do you make an attack using the dice that you would use per your current deckhand/bosun stats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
ryno80 wrote:
1. Do you recommend this game for 5 players?

I haven’t played five player, but common sense says there will be more downtime, which can equate to less fun. Since three of you have already played, it might not be too bad. But think about the people you’re playing with. Are any of them impatient with downtime? If so, it might be a poor choice for that group.

Quote:
3. Does EACH deckhand and bosun attack individually? Or do they attack as a group?

All deckhands and bosuns in a single space are grouped together, with their dice totalled to make a single attack (at +1 if any bosuns are present). The hits are applied to targets in the mandatory targeting order,

Quote:

The only limit is how many you own.

Quote:
5. When you control a sea monster, do you activate them instead of or in addition to one of your heroes?

In addition to, on a separate activation step. Thus you will have an additional activation each round while you have a sea monster active.

Quote:
6. What are the little red activation tokens used for? I thought the dead man's coins covered that, no?

Because you take turns activating, you use these to mark who has taken their turn already. This prevents losing track and forgetting to activate a hero or activating one more than once by mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Quote:

The only limit is how many you own.

There is only a Summon Sea Monster card per Tide deck, so I believe that a maximum of two can be summoned per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon van Oorschot
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryno80 wrote:

Dead Man Coins are used in combination with some tide cards and some hero skills, so you only want to use those for marking KO'ed heroes and use the little red activation tokens for marking activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Erik

Massachusetts
msg tools
Under "Sea Monster attacks!" in the rule book it mentions that when you play a "Sea Monster Attacks!" card you select 1 available Sea Monster. It states that each sea monster can only be summoned once. Since the deck discard piles can be reshuffled into a new draw pile it seems that it would be possible to summon all four monsters if play lasts long enough to reshuffle discard piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wejarvis4 wrote:
Since the deck discard piles can be reshuffled into a new draw pile it seems that it would be possible to summon all four monsters if play lasts long enough to reshuffle discard piles.
In theory yes, but in practice it is never going to happen.
I played around three dozen games of Second Tide, and not once we ran out of Tide cards (even with captains that let you draw more cards).

We found that on average we only draw less than half of the Tide deck; so actually most games will only see a single Sea Monster (or none at all).

Also, once killed, Sea Monsters don't get back to the game like Heroes do, so it is even more unlikely that they will stay around long enough for a player to summon an additional Sea Monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.