BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Republican Rage continues....and continues.....and continues... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/05/politics/clinton-foundation-ar...

The Feds are looking into the Clinton Foundation;

The FBI and federal prosecutors are looking into whether donors to the foundation were improperly promised policy favors or special access to Hillary Clinton while she was secretary of state in exchange for donations to the charity's coffers, as well as whether tax-exempt funds were misused, the official said.

Somehow, this does not strike me by surprise, given Trumps rage for Clinton, and his possible abilty to manipulate the DOJ toward his ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why shouldn't we look into both sides for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Because it's been done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Jythier wrote:
Trump is counting on responses exactly like this.

So when Mueller nails his idiot sons & underlings to the wall, Trump will be able to pull the whataboutism card with "BUT CROOKED HILLARY DID SOMETHING TOO!" Even though Hillary is currently secretary of absolutely nothing, while Trump is currently sitting in the highest elected office in the land.

Because there was violence on many sides in Charlottesville... many sides!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

I am not against it being looked at, but I don't think it deserves the same priority as the Russia investigation. One concerns a sitting President, the other, a citizen no longer in government employ.

When will the Republicans finally let go of Obama and Clinton? How long do we continue to pursue them? Why is this brought up now? In my opinion, the Repubs here are less concerned about prosecuting Clinton, than they are about using this as a distraction, to deflect from Trumps major issues.

Seriously, if they were that concerned about email server scandals, they would have made sure that Kushner, Ivanka, and others did not make the same mistakes when they got into office (which they did, it just was not as widely publicized). This pay for play thing could be true, and if investigated, they could probably find something to nail her to the wall for. But to what end, other than to say "We told you so". It just appears petty, when there are bigger, more current fish to fry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
But I want them both to go to jail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Wants aside, the R had and spent half a decade hammering at Clinton. The fact they couldn't put together anything criminal in all that time means the ship has probably sailed. I get they don't have an enemy to attack right now, but they could perhaps try their hand at governing for a bit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Interesting. Why do you want Clinton to go to jail when she's never been convicted of a crime, and none of the investigations directed against her have turned up evidence of a crime?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Interesting. Why do you want Clinton to go to jail when she's never been convicted of a crime, and none of the investigations directed against her have turned up evidence of a crime?

Well, I want them to find the evidence and convict her first, obviously. The idea is that in the US you can buy your way out of facing justice, which both of these people will do. Also, I was under the impression that there not only was evidence but a confession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Well, I want them to find the evidence and convict her first, obviously. The idea is that in the US you can buy your way out of facing justice, which both of these people will do. Also, I was under the impression that there not only was evidence but a confession.

Of what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Classified emails on the private server, which any normal person would already be in jail for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Classified emails on the private server, which any normal person would already be in jail for.

Hate to break this to you but that is not what this "investigation" is looking into. But one guesses that truth or evidence is not coming much into your calculations anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Is this actually illegal?

I mean we tweet foreign policy now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Yes.

I really don't think that's a law. Can anyone point to a case where someone was jailed for it?

If it were illegal, why have no charges been filed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

How many times? Once, twice, thrice, a bakers dozen? How many times is enough?

Mueller isn't even done with once yet.

Personally, I think duodecimal jeopardy applies in Clinton's case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Jythier wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Yes.

I really don't think that's a law. Can anyone point to a case where someone was jailed for it?

See prior post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Jythier wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Yes.

See prior post.

Which post? Macs? Was someone jailed? Were charges filed?

Can you clarify?

EDIT: related link: https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/04/02/39682...
another: https://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/a-guide-to-clintons-emails...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two money grafs are right there in the article:

Jarrett and Perez wrote:
It's unclear precisely what, if any, new evidence ignited the current federal investigation, after initial inquiries had stalled prior to the 2016 election.

Jarrett and Perez wrote:
The current probe of the foundation comes at a sensitive time for the Justice Department under the Trump administration, as President Donald Trump continues to regularly demand investigations of his former political rival while the DOJ has stayed silent.

Some Republican lawmakers on Capitol Hill have cheered Trump on, while others within the party (and many Democrats) have raised concerns in recent months that Trump is failing to observe customary norms about the independence of the Justice Department when it comes to investigative work, particularly after he said earlier this week that Clinton aide Huma Abedin should be jailed.

It's yet another instance of Trump, fueled by conservative media, using the entire law enforcement apparatus of the United States like his own personal retainers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Wasn't there controversy as to whether material had been classified ex post facto, as it were? (i.e. at the moment she saved emails to her private server, they weren't classified material) - and at least some of these emails were later determined to *not* in fact have been classified?

Did you know that the classification process is not clear cut, and it's not at all easy to know if you're handling classified material, even for a senior official (such as a Cabinet Secretary, Chief of Staff of one of the Armed Forces, high-level official at the CIA, etc.)? Did you also know that the law is not black-and-white* as to what constitutes "knowing" or willful mishandling of information?

*Shocking, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Investigations are instigated because there is evidence that a crime has been committed and not simply because someone feels like deciding to have a look around.

The issue of the Clinton Foundation has been previously looked into and nothing seemed to support further legal action.

While it is possible to re open an inquiry, this typically occurs due to NEW information rather than simply brining up old arguments.

Givne Trumps difficulties and his influence with the DOJ (Sessions head does appear to be on the chopping block) it is easy to suspect that the Clinton Foundation inquiry is political misdirection.

Now, maybe the FBI did receive "new" information to support opening this investigation and have kept it close to the vest. We'll need to wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
theapostlegreen wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Wasn't there controversy as to whether material had been classified ex post facto, as it were? (i.e. at the moment she saved emails to her private server, they weren't classified material) - and at least some of these emails were later determined to *not* in fact have been classified?

Did you know that the classification process is not clear cut, and it's not at all easy to know if you're handling classified material, even for a senior official (such as a Cabinet Secretary, Chief of Staff of one of the Armed Forces, high-level official at the CIA, etc.)? Did you also know that the law is not black-and-white* as to what constitutes "knowing" or willful mishandling of information?

*Shocking, I know.

None of the emails were marked as classified when actually sent; being sent on State's 'unclassified' system is a clue. During the review, it was judged by some that SOME of the emails should have been classified - ex post facto, exactly. That's a judgment call. (And if they DID contain classified info that shouldn't have been sent over the unclass server, that would be on the sender but anyway.) The vast majority of emails on her server were unclassified. (State has a whole separate classified email system; it's not hard to get unclassified stuff to the classified system, but the opposite is fairly hard.)

When Comey did his hot-dog press conference and sternly chided Clinton for her email management he also said "there's nothing to prosecute here".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Yes.

No actually, Ill advised but not illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that subject a joke? Coming from the guy who posts no fewer then a dozen or two threads a week about how evil and vile and contemptible Trump and the Republicans are. Some might call it . . . Democratic rage. They can't even take a dump without someone filing a rage-filled play by play.
10 threads for every 1 non-Trump, non-rage thread. But the message is that Republicans are so full of rage.

I just can't even . . . shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
how conviently they forget the prior 8 years .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.