Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
226 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: A survey of the BGG gamer! Find out what your fellow gamers like to do. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in 2013 Tony Ackroyd (1000rpm) put out a great poll on the BGG user base. Some time after that, I discovered the polling tool and started to abuse it like there'll be no tomorrow. (Will there be a tomorrow? Are you sure? Do we need a poll?) In honor of that study in contrasts (good vs. bad, intelligence vs. penguins) I thought I'd put out a slightly briefer but moderately serious poll on the 2018 BGG gamer. So here it is:

Just a heads up, I think a little demographic information is interesting, but there's no way to ask a question on gender or sexuality without getting somebody annoyed. So just do your best on those questions and try not to get too miffed.

And seriously, you don't have a favorite superpower? How can someone not have a favorite superpower?!?

P.S. Also, I just thought of one more poll question because it's freezing here in New York, so I added a final weather poll down at the bottom. Don't miss it.

EDIT: P.P.S. Here's Tony's 2013 survey: The Geek Annual User Poll 2013

Poll
1. What gender label do you prefer?
Male
Female
Other label
2. How old are you?
Under 18
18 to 25
26 to 35
36 to 45
46 to 55
56 to 65
Over 65
3. Marital status
Married
Single
Unmarried but living with partner
Other
4. Do you consider yourself to be
Heterosexual (Straight)
Homosexual (Gay)
Bisexual
Other choice
Prefer not to answer
5. Do you consider yourself to be transgender?
Yes
No
6. How many children?
5+
7. What is your nationality?
USA
UK
Canada
Germany
Australia and New Zealand
Nordic Countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland)
Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg)
Iberia (Portugal, Spain)
Other European
Mexico, Central America, Caribbean
South America
Africa
Asia
Other
8. Of these super powers, which would you want to have?
Flying
Super strength
Super acrobatic
Invisibility
Mind reading
Breathe underwater
I wouldn't want any superpowers
9. Which is your favorite Sci Fi franchise?
Star Trek
Star Wars
Doctor Who
Firefly
Battlestar Galactica
Babylon Five
Farscape
Other series
I don't like Sci Fi series
10. What is your favorite means of locomotion?
Walking
Running
Bicycling
Motorcycling
Car driving (self)
Taxi or limousine
Bus
Train
Boat
Plane
11. How spicy do you like your food?
Super mild
Mild
A bit of spice
Spicy
Mouth on fire spicy
12. Which of the following activities do you partake in AND enjoy? (you can pick more than one!)
Reading
Listening to music
Playing an instrument or singing
Going to the movies (cinema)
Video gaming
Walking
Jogging
Hiking
Camping
Hunting (animals, not people)
Swimming
Bicycling
Aerobic exercise
Weight lifting
Playing sports
Domestic travel
Foreign travel
Dining out
Dancing (doing, not watching)
Going to the theater, opera, ballet
Watching sporting events
Crafts (woodworking, etc)
Sewing, knitting, crocheting, quilting
Cooking
13. How long have you been a hobby gamer? (Defining "hobby gamer" however you please. For me, I'd ignore all the games of Monopoly and Bridge I played and only start my "gaming" with my first non mainstream game.)
Less than 1 year
1 to 2 years
3 to 5 years
5 to 9 years
10 to 15 years
15 to 25 years
More than 25 years
14. How often do you play board games (or card or other game listed on BGG)?
Daily
A few times a week
About once a week
A couple times a month
About once a month
Less than once a month
15. How many games do you own?
None
1 to 9
10 to 20
21 to 50
51 to 100
101 to 200
201 to 500
501 to 1000
More than 1000
16. How many players (including yourself) are in your typical played game?
1 (I mainly play solo).
2 (Me and one opponent/partner).
3-4
5 or more
17. What is your favorite type of game to play?
Euro (Puerto Rico, Agricola, Power Grid)
Ameritrash (story driven, i.e. Arkham Horror)
Ameritrash (dudes on map, i.e. Axis and Allies)
Wargame (Memoir 44, Case Blue)
Hybrid (Blood Rage, Cyclades, Kemet)
CCG or LCG (Collectible or Living Card Game)
Family or Gateway games (Dixit, Catan)
Party games (Ultimate Werewolf, Codenames, Wits and Wagers)
Abstract (Chess, Hive, Tzaar)
18xx (1830: Railways & Robber Barons, 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight)
Other
18. Your favorite games tend to take how long?
Less than 30 minutes
30 to 60 minutes
1 to 2 hours
2 to 4 hours
More than 4 hours
19. How heavy do you tend to like your games? (use the BGG weight scale if it helps you answer the question)
Light games (less than 2 weight, Dixit)
Medium light games (2 to 3 weight, Splendor)
Medium games (around 3ish weight, Stone Age)
Medium heavy games (3 to 4 weight, Agricola)
Heavy games (more than 4 weight, Arkwright)
20. Do you like cooperative games?
Yes, more than non cooperative games
Yes
Occasionally
Not at all
I have no opinion on them
21. Do you like legacy games?
Yes, more than non legacy games
Yes
Occasionally
Not at all
22. Do you like games that require a smartphone app to play?
Yes, more than games without an app
Yes
Occasionally
Not at all
23. How many games in the BGG top ten have you played?
None
All ten!
24. Of these games, which is your favorite?
Gloomhaven
Pandemic Legacy
Twilight Struggle
Agricola
Puerto Rico
Tigris and Euphrates
Paths of Glory
Catan
Carcassonne
Pandemic
Chess
Go
Shogi
      1236 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Poll
If you have to choose, do you prefer sweating in the summer or freezing in the winter (assuming you have all the appropriate clothing and climitized housing)? For those of you who don't live someplace with real seasons (California), imagine that you did.
I'll take summer sweat over winter chills.
You can always bundle up, winter beats summer every time.
      1133 answers
Poll created by skutsch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking the results to find myself perfectly normal until it got down to playing long, heavy, solo wargames

Only 30 votes in, but I expect that trend to continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The same people who prefer winter over summer probably don't want superpowers and don't like Sci Fi series. Who are you people?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
The same people who prefer winter over summer probably don't want superpowers and don't like Sci Fi series. Who are you people?!?

People who don't wear kimonos and know how to dress for the weather. Probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In a perfect world, I'd like the flying superpower, but in the current real world, I think it would only frustrate me since I couldn't use it without worrying about getting shot down or arrested or something.

About locomotion, you forgot trams. Understandable as they seem more common in Europe than in USA. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying is one of those superpowers that people think they want, but would rarely actually use. It's a showy power that'll get you targeted and caught and you'll end up locked up in some government research lab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Flying is one of those superpowers that people think they want, but would rarely actually use. It's a showy power that'll get you targeted and caught and you'll end up locked up in some government research lab.

Unless you refuse Edna's advise and wear a cape. Then you won't have to worry about being locked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Practical people.

Man, are they are the wrong site.

John
(... he who maintains just enough practicality to prefer winter (... well, more precisely, cool overcast days, which only happen in winter here, so ... winter. (I belong in Anchorage)))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

But flying would be FUN! Why ya gotta be such a realist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, there has been too much turnover in the top 10 over the last few years and I didn't do so well on it. Now if you asked be about how many of the NEXT 10 games on the list, I would have done much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Invisibility

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMONE DONNINI
Italy
Varese
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Italy is in the "other" countries? Wow unforgivable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summer's too darn hot!
I voted Flying but the actual power I would want is either stretchiness (Plastic Man/Mr Fantastic) or ability to change my (physical) density (mental density is debatable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Assuming you're in a world where superpowers exist and are accepted, it's what I went with. Flying, Invisibility, and Mind Control are the three that immediately stand out as least duplicable by existing technology. Of those, flying is fun, invisibility has lots of applications but nearly none of them ethical or legal, and mind reading is likely to give you a lot of information you'd really rather not know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

It's supposed to be cold round here in general. We get snow, sometimes.
The next three days are each going to hit around 97F.
I voted winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simone007 wrote:
Italy is in the "other" countries? Wow unforgivable

Forgive me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lacey Jean
msg tools
mbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

I said I prefer summer over winter, but I live in Minnesota and actually like the weather here, so it's possible I'm lying to myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

But flying would be FUN!
As a fantasy, sure. In reality, there's any number of practical concerns. If you go at all fast you'll need goggles and without protective clothing you'll probably be very cold as the air drag will rip heat away from your body.

I mean running really fast is fun too... but you know how often I do that? Ultimately for most people, after the initial thrill wore off, flying would become just another mode of transportation. And if given the choice between going out to fly for half an hour or watching tv, they'd end up doing the latter.

Soleia wrote:
Why ya gotta be such a realist?
Because it is fun to me to take a fantastical idea and consider it from a realistic perspective.

I'd lean towards invisibility over flying. Although, I think it's hard to really use invisibility much. You'd need to find a place where you could go invisible so that nobody would notice you suddenly disappear, and presumably that's not the place where you'd want to be invisible, so then you'd have to sneak your way to that place trying not to be too noisy or have to do too many noticeable things, like opening doors. It'd end up being a bit of a hassle. And honestly, the only things that invisibility is good for are mostly things you shouldn't be doing... like stealing or spying on people. I think you'd end up not using that power much that often either.

Mind reading would probably be the superpower I'd choose, although I suspect that most people's thoughts just aren't that interesting most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer winters around here over summers, but if we get below freezing more than twice a year in the middle of the night, it's a severely cold season! I much prefer the temp to be 50 (a somewhat cooler than usual winter day) than 90 (a somewhat warmer than usual summer day).

All that to say, I'm spoiled by the (lack of) weather here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's Tony's 2013 survey: The Geek Annual User Poll 2013
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with super strength.

Sure, flying would be fun, but I imagined it in our world with all the problems people have already mentioned. It'd just be too conspicuous. Invisibility? Sometimes fun but you gotta worry about people always running into you, especially from behind. Mind reading? Good for poker games but generally I don't think I'd want to know exactly what people think of me. My self-esteem has enough problems. Super fast reflexes sounded good but again, too visible. Strength, however, that's solid. It'd only be there when you needed it. "Gosh, Carl, how'd you open that jar of pickles?" "Just a little elbow grease, and you probably loosened it so I could do it." Also it'd make moving my games around much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
I prefer winters around here over summers, but if we get below freezing more than twice a year in the middle of the night, it's a severely cold season!
With the windchill, the "feel likes" temperature here is -15 degrees right now. I had to shovel out the bottom of my driveway where the street plow had pushed snow into the driveway about three feet high. Apparently I didn't do a good enough job as my car got stuck when I was taking my son to school and I had to shovel out more snow to get unstuck. My son usually takes the bus to school, but with temperatures so low this morning I didn't want him walking to the stop and standing outside until it showed up. Risk of hypothermia is a concern on mornings like this one.

runtsta wrote:
I much prefer the temp to be 50 (a somewhat cooler than usual winter day) than 90 (a somewhat warmer than usual summer day).
Me too. And both are about 20 degrees off of a 70 degrees which is kind of the perfect temperature. But if the weather is going to be very extreme, I'd rather go hot and suffer through 100+ degrees than suffer through below 20 degree weather. With heat, as long as you stay hydrated and stay in an air conditioned area you're fine. You might not do anything outside from midday to early evening, but driving from one air conditioned building to another in an air conditioned car isn't too bad. With cold weather, you might have to drive through bad weather, ice, sleet, snow, etc. which can be extremely dangerous.

I used to live in Memphis which has some pretty rough summers. Moving up north has convinced me that I hate winter.

So yeah, I chose summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuela
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Let's all have a deep, think-y game... with theme!
badge
Anesthetist by day; gamer by night...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's why winter wins: In public, you can always put on more layers to keep warm, but to cool down, you can only take off so many before you get arrested for indecent exposure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who's spent 2 hours in traffic to travel 10 miles is going to pick flying as a superpower.

I mean, duh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

No, we like those things but we don't like stewing in our own juices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.