Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Propposed variant for 3+ player matches.

At my table, regardless of intent, matches always seem to degrade to omphalos victory races.
The reason is that the omphalos are all basically right on top of you.
And lets face it, it's way easier to just nab 4 omphalos than it is to get through an army and slay an enemy god. Providing they don't foolishly leave themselves wide open...
Everyone's starting area has 2 to 3 within easy reach. They are just too tempting, so before you know it, you've invested in an omphalos game. You spent nearly all activation cards on gathering and absorbing 3 and you are just waiting for the decks to refresh so you can absorb that 4th for the win. (Yawn)

So I proppose this variant and would love peoples feedback.

A) Set up for a 3 or 4 player game as normal. Then each player in turn chooses one omphalos to remove from the board.
Now ideally, each player will pick one next to another players start spot. Or as a group you can agree on which ones to remove.
Maybe 3 of the 4 players will pick one next to the player who drafted Bellerophon and is trying for a quick win. It's up to the players.
This accomplishes making the initial omphalos farther from each player, so they are less tempting. Now you may only have 1 convenient early grab and all the rest are going to force you into the center.
Also, there are clearly less omphalos to go around, so if everyone all grabs with equal fervor, there will not be enough to win as there are only 9 in a 4 player game now.
So that leads to step B.

B) A slain god is replaced by an omphalos. So if you want that 4th omphalos for the win and all starting 9 were allready absorbed, you're going to have to slay a god for it! Or waitfor a god to be slain and play opportunist.

You can also go one step further and say slain gods become blue omphalos and you must absorb at least 1 blue omphalos to win.
This way even a cunning player who did manage to get 4 by snatching them up still can't win immediately. Unless you agree it is OK of course.

This variant should encourage a lot more agressive player interaction as it makes omphalos victories much harder.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say give the none aggressive players a chance to enjoy this too..... just hunt them down first. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SissyBell wrote:
I say give the none aggressive players a chance to enjoy this too..... just hunt them down first. modest

But here's the issue with that approach. While I'm running in to stop one player from winning, the other two players continue to grab omphalos, turning the game into a kingmaker situation.

Weve allready learned the meta is to get into position for an omphalos win, but don't be the most obvious at it. You want to be just slightly slower at it than one person so when players go to stop them, you can win immediately after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
SissyBell wrote:

But here's the issue with that approach. While I'm running in to stop one player from winning, the other two players continue to grab omphalos, turning the game into a kingmaker situation.

Weve allready learned the meta is to get into position for an omphalos win, but don't be the most obvious at it. You want to be just slightly slower at it than one person so when players go to stop them, you can win immediately after.

Maybe a more subtle approach would be to further limit the number of omphalos on the map and add a rule where a slain go will drop in it's location any previously absorbed omphalos. Even thematic, since the omphalos energy originally came from the many slain Gods and Titans during the second Titanomachy.

3 player games where the players have a high degree on influence (war) on winners and losers will always suffer to some degree of king making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfc1005 wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:
SissyBell wrote:

Maybe a more subtle approach would be to further limit the number of omphalos on the map and add a rule where a slain go will drop in it's location any previously absorbed omphalos. Even thematic, since the omphalos energy originally came from the many slain Gods and Titans during the second Titanomachy.

3 player games where the players have a high degree on influence (war) on winners and losers will always suffer to some degree of king making.

We actually discussed exactly that idea too.
So when a god dies, it becomes a feeding frenzy converging on their corpse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

That's the intent, so players can still definitely win by Omphalos victories, but you will also get all the carnage you desire.

The issue with eliminating the omphalos is that it might easily lead to turtling and no one wants that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfc1005 wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

That's the intent, so players can still definitely win by Omphalos victories, but you will also get all the carnage you desire.

The issue with eliminating the omphalos is that it might easily lead to turtling and no one wants that.

Indeed. I hope to find the perfect balance of omphalos presence that allows for both win conditions while still encouraging people to venture into the thick of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love these variants. Sadly our 3rd and 4th players have now left after the holidays so I'll have to wait awhile to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also increase the number of Omphalos required to win to 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klakak wrote:
You could also increase the number of Omphalos required to win to 5.

Very true. It will ultimately still end in gods most likely needing to be slain, but it would still entice people to snatch omphalos near them.

I'll have to experiment with both options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Vogel
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm definitely planning on adding a house rule that slain gods drop all their previously absorbed omphalos, and might also try allowing the unit that struck the killing blow a free claim or even absorb action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Indiveri
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 2 games where it degenerated into an omphalos-grab, we now have a new house rule for three-player games.

Game ends when first god dies. Period.

Winner is determined by most VP.

Each wound inflicted is worth 1 VP.

Each Omphalos that is Absorbed is worth 2 VP.

The killing blow to a god is worth 4 VP.

Tie breakers: god still lives, most omphalos, etc

We like this because anyone that sits back hoping to mop up will certainly loose. It still encourages Omphalos grabbing, but mostly to get the Healing and the AoW card functions, as well as pad VP score.

It requires some minor bookkeeping, but it basically saves the 3-player game. It encourages players to go forth and attack the enemy. Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markind wrote:
After 2 games where it degenerated into an omphalos-grab, we now have a new house rule for three-player games.

Game ends when first god dies. Period.

Winner is determined by most VP.

Each wound inflicted is worth 1 VP.

Each Omphalos that is Absorbed is worth 2 VP.

The killing blow to a god is worth 4 VP.

Tie breakers: god still lives, most omphalos, etc

We like this because anyone that sits back hoping to mop up will certainly loose. It still encourages Omphalos grabbing, but mostly to get the Healing and the AoW card functions, as well as pad VP score.

It requires some minor bookkeeping, but it basically saves the 3-player game. It encourages players to go forth and attack the enemy. Fun!

1VP per dmg I don't it will work well. Example, what if Medusa uses her power in a zone with the hell hounds ... 5VP straight away, she does that 2-3 times and game is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*****Update. We tried it 4 player and it went well. We still fought over the previous limited omphalos as we used Divinity cards. So everyone wanted their gods boosted.

And in the end, 2 gods died before an omphalos was claimed for victory.

Session report coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.