Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I apologize if that has been addressed elsewhere. I searched and could not find anything on it. My question has to do with scoring VPs for losses to German gruppen and RAF squadrons: are VP scored for EACH gruppe and/or squadron loss or only for the highest result for each side in given step? For example, if the RAF inflicts 1x light loss and 1x heavy loss on the Luftwaffe in a hunter attack step, does the RAF gain +2 VP or +3 VP?

The reason I ask:

I initially thought that losses are scored for each unit lost (+3x VP in the example above). But after playing the RAF Lion campaign game twice using all advanced rules, the RAF has achieved a decisive victory quite easily both times. I haven't even needed to evaluate the start of Operation SEA LION.

My strategy was to use Delayed Response when appropriate to gang up on raids to inflict losses on the Luftwaffe, avoid RAF losses, and allow other raids to go through unopposed if I do not have sufficient RAF advantage. The RAF initially gets in a bit of VP hole, but as the Luftwaffe losses mount, that tide turns in favor of the RAF...ever more heavily as the Luftwaffe gets depleted, the RAF gains more aircraft and pilot replacement points than they can ever spend, and the RAF eliminates the Luftwaffe about the 1st the of September.

I then noticed that the verbiage on the map legend: VP scoring for bombardment is for "each" bombardment. But the "each" is omitted in the scoring for the gruppe/squadron losses. So I thought that maybe I was giving the RAF way too many VP for inflicting Luftwaffe losses. Maybe +2 VP in the above example is correct. As the tide turns in favor of the RAF, the Luftwaffe was suffering a 6 or 8 VP loss in a single large raid. It doesn't take long for that to add up to a decisive RAF victory once the tide turns.

So, I started another game only giving the RAF (or the Luftwaffe) a single score for the highest loss level achieved during any step of a raid ( 1 or 2 VP being the maximum result of any attack step....hunter attack and squadron attack scored separately) thinking that I found the error in my rules interpretation. With this interpretation, the penalty for additional losses would show up in depletion level for the Luftwaffe and/or Green squadrons for the RAF as they run out of applicable replacement points instead of in immediate VP losses. But now, in attempting to gain an Ace Squadron on the 2nd raid day of this game, I find that the verbiage in the Ace Squadron section of the advanced rules says and implies that a) the RAF can score MORE than +2 VP in a hunter attack step (implying that +3 VP in the above example is correct), and b) can score +2 VP in a hunter attack in any row up to Row G. If +2 VP in the above example is correct, Row G is the ONLY row that the RAF could gain an Ace Squadron in the hunter attack step as Row G is only row in which a heavy loss on the Luftwaffe is possible.

Help!!

I don't believe I am doing anything else wrong through all of the advanced rules. I am continuing the campaign game using the +2 VP example above to see how it goes. Maybe that needs to be my house rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's each Gruppe/Squadron. So, in your example, it would be +3 VP's for the RAF.

The strategy you are using is the strategy I also use when playing the RAF. The real key, I've found, is to get the Germans on to the Depletion track, and just hang on and not get destroyed until that happens. Once the Luftwaffe hits Depletion, it's only a matter of time. Using Delayed Response or not responding at all, is one of the methods I've found that helps me get there. By not responding, your VP losses are limited, especially if the odds are not in your favor to begin with on the Raid. And by using Delayed Response, you can inflict higher losses on the Luftwaffe (and thereby hasten their move towards Depletion).

Having said that, though, this game is still fairly punishing. Multiple Raids in the same Time slot (something you have no control over) can wear down the RAF too much to recover.

Now, playing the Eagle variant, where you play the Luftwaffe....now THAT'S a tough nut to crack. I get my butt kicked regularly in that
one.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpholt wrote:
Now, playing the Eagle variant, where you play the Luftwaffe....now THAT'S a tough nut to crack. I get my butt kicked regularly in that one. Tony

Not what some of us experienced. You essentially just do the same thing: pile on the ME-109s and let the RAF robot get piecemealed. The RAF robot does not Big Wing like a human player. For example:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/421137/eagle-win-three-...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/432002/eagle-has-landed

However, the experience of my gaming duo is that winning as the German in a 2 player game against a seasoned RAF opponent is likely very tough:
1st game win against a rookie RAF: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1072218/2-player-starte...
2nd game loss once he'd figured things out: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1128213/2-player-starte...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.